General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Window came off regulator, best way to put it back in?

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Window came off regulator, best way to put it back in?

The passenger door window (no doubt from being slammed too hard by all my oh so 'careful' passengers) came out of the rubber track that holds it to the regulator arms. they aren't power windows, but I don't think it makes much difference. I've tried to squeeze it back into the track, but its very hard and i'm afraid of cracking the window, and ive tried to aim it back in and roll it up to push it back in but that bends the regulator.

on my 63 the grooved rubber piece runs along the whole bottom edge of the window and is obviously a tight fit. What's the best way to get it back in? is there some method or tool for getting it back in place to the rubber grip?
Old August 18th, 2014, 01:17 AM

You have to remove the window glass and then dis-engage the track from the rollers. Clean out track and with new glaziers tape fit over bottom edge of clean glass and then place track on top in correct position and firmly tap track into place with rubber mallet or possibly plastic hammer until it bottoms out...trim off excess tape. There is a short piece of track that is in adjustable slots. Remove the two bolts holding that short track and then slide the window into place engaging the rollers as it goes down and then fit the short track over it's proper roller and fasten the two bolts and adjust accordingly...The regulator has two arms that form an X and the short track is guiding one of the rollers. When you remove the two bolts for the short track the arm will swivel freely. You have to play with it a while but save yourself a lot of cash.