General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

'75 Salon steering box

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Unhappy '75 Salon steering box

I put a new steering wheel on the car and found that the shaft was at around the 11:00 position with the wheels straight. I took it for an alignment, and they had a hard time with it. They had to adjust the tie rods several times. Finally, the mechanic adjusted the steering gear box and got most of it. It is not perfect, but decent. They also showed me the steering box is leaking.

I got in touch with the original owner, and he told me he had the steering box was replaced at one time. They also put the aftermarket steering wheel on for him. My question is this:

Could they have somehow misaligned the steering gear box and / or pitman arm and hide it by putting on another steering wheel? Are there alignment marks for the box and or pitman arm? Should I try realigning them? Where would the marks be?

I am planning to replace the box since it is leaking. Should I put a new pitman arm on also. How can i be sure I aligned them correctly? Big job? Easy, moderate, or difficult?

Thanks again, Eric