General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2014, 07:15 PM

A/C question

Hi Guys. I just removed the computer system from my 87 olds 442 and installed a non computer HEI and a 1984 Quadrajet. It runs great but the a/c compressor wont run. Can anyone tell me what to do to get it to run. Any help would be appreciated. Ed
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mred355
Hi Guys. I just removed the computer system from my 87 olds 442 and installed a non computer HEI and a 1984 Quadrajet. It runs great but the a/c compressor wont run. Can anyone tell me what to do to get it to run. Any help would be appreciated. Ed
The compressor clutch is controlled by the ECU. Specifically, the ECU uses the TPS to disengage the compressor at wide open throttle. I can't speak to the 1987 cars, but for 1986 the relay controlled by the ECU is normally closed and opens to disengage the compressor clutch under W.O.T. That means that with the ECU gone, the compressor should run - it just won't disengage at W.O.T. You'll have to look at the 1987 wiring diagram to see if this was changed. In any case, if you remove the relay and jumper across the two terminal that operate the compressor clutch, the A/C should operate. If it still doesn't work, you have a different problem.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM

It works now

Hi Joe. Thanx for the help. Its working fine now. Later Ed