General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Camshaft and lifters

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2024, 11:48 AM

Camshaft and lifters

1964 Dynamic 88, the engine is torn down and the block is going out to the machine shop. I'm going through everything in the meantime and I notice the cam is worn some, and the lifters are slightly concave on the foot. Tech guide says they should be replaced if they are flat or concave, and the cam should be inspected as well. I'm thinking I should replace them, so my question is, can I (or should I) use a Starfire cam? Kanter lists a standard cam and a HP cam, both are smooth idle and they're about the same price. I'm also looking at the pistons, and they show signs of wear so I'm leaning towards replacing those as well. The machinist suggested it, he says I should bore the block .030 over and get new pistons, as long as I'm doing it. Can I also use the Starfire/high compression pistons? I'm pretty sure I can, and again, I don't see a big difference in price. It's a 2 barrel car, not a 4 barrel, so I'm not sure I'll notice a big difference.

Finally, where can I shop for these things? I'm finding it hard to track down these engine parts, besides Kanter, Fusick, and Egge Machine. Obviously I need bearings too.

I'll share some pictures...

The wear on the lobe extends across the top, and down one or both sides on many of the lobes, and the lifter feet are concave.

This is pretty typical of all the pistons. The wear on the skirt has gone through the milling marks.
Old April 28th, 2024, 09:17 PM

Kanter, Fusick and Egge would not be my choice for cam & lifters. Check with Camcraft Cams.
https://www.camcraftcams.com/

Try Rockauto for other things. Egge might be ok for pistons and rings. Charlie Jones will have suggestions/