General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Carb help! (Continued)

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2023, 06:33 PM

Carb help! (Continued)

Ok guys, big thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier thread. A user suggested Carburetor-parts.com to find the gasket I was looking for. I found the gasket, but it’s for a boat carb?! Somebody back in the day put a boat carb on this motor? All applications listed for this gasket are for marine applications! Make it make sense!!

Old February 21st, 2023, 06:51 PM

No big deal, just rebuild it and go.

When I worked at NAPA in high school I bought a core return QJet for $6 that was a jet boat application. It had the skinniest primary metering rods that I have ever seen, apparently due to the digital nature of boats - either idle speed or WOT. After swapping jets and rods we put it on my buddy’s GMC Jimmy and it ran fine for years.
Old February 21st, 2023, 07:18 PM

I am working with @KCRocket88 on this car. As he mentioned, this is a marine 4GC!! **The car ran when purchased last fall, but not great - it was cold-blooded and didn't downshift at all when trying to pass. What I understand on the Marine version is no fast idle and the accelerator pump is smaller (found on 1 thread but unable to verify this anywhere else). That aside, the primary concern (maybe unfounded?) is: will a different carb work with the linkage for the automatic transmission? A good rebuilt original 1957 carb seems is expensive, if you can find one. This is a 4-door meant for cruising and enjoying - so not having an original carb isn't a big deal... budget is. Has anyone tried an Edlebrock on a 57 with the original transmission and worked with the trans linkage?
Old February 21st, 2023, 07:47 PM
Phantom Phixer

I wouldn't be misled by their listing this gasket as fitting a boat carb.
I probably fits dozens of other 4GC carbs as well.
You can see it in this illustration of a 1955 (or '56) carb.

Here is an illustration of a 1957 Olds carb.

As already stated, just put it together with that gasket. Just be absolutely sure all the other gaskets match.
These carbs can be a nightmare to identify if the tag is lost.

Old February 21st, 2023, 08:06 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by rw68rscomv
I am working with @KCRocket88 on this car. As he mentioned, this is a marine 4GC!! **The car ran when purchased last fall, but not great - it was cold-blooded and didn't downshift at all when trying to pass. What I understand on the Marine version is no fast idle and the accelerator pump is smaller (found on 1 thread but unable to verify this anywhere else). That aside, the primary concern (maybe unfounded?) is: will a different carb work with the linkage for the automatic transmission? A good rebuilt original 1957 carb seems is expensive, if you can find one. This is a 4-door meant for cruising and enjoying - so not having an original carb isn't a big deal... budget is. Has anyone tried an Edlebrock on a 57 with the original transmission and worked with the trans linkage?
Making an Edelbrock work with the trans linkage would be a worse nightmare than you already have.
The only thing that fits properly, according to Hollander is a '57 Olds carb.
Finding a decent one and re-building it would be the best option.
Tag numbers would be 7008470,7008471, 7010925, 7010926,7015704M, or 24-505.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 21st, 2023 at 08:12 PM.