General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Epoxy a solution for stripped Q-jet fuel filter recepticle threads?

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2016, 08:07 PM

Epoxy a solution for stripped Q-jet fuel filter recepticle threads?

Hiya everyone,

I have a '70 455 a/t Q-jet with adios'd fuel filter receptacle threads. The unit is currently expoy'd-in so I can move the car in-and-out of the garage while I'm trying to source either another housing or entire carb.

I was under the impression that the epoxy is not a good long-term solution as the compound will (eventually) dissolve due to the gasoline chemical makeup. However, one of my dad's hot rod buds said that he (his pals) would regularly epoxy Q-jet base plates with no issues.

I would still plan on sourcing a replacement housing/carb, but is the epoxy solution as-is safe to drive around town?

Many thanks,
-Christian
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

JB Weld might work better than epoxy. Did you use the search function to look for threads to this problem? I know I have seen them on here before.
Old June 20th, 2016, 04:51 AM

theres a repair kit..its been avail for 35 years..its a new inlet that cuts threads..its been used for decades with success..ive installed them myself, but you may need an expert to install it.

i dont know if it will work once its been glued..its usually caught when it gets stripped..epoxy really screws stuff up..by the time you get the old out, the hole may be so big the repair piece wont work..i dunno
Old June 20th, 2016, 05:05 AM

Okay, I found some other threads covering this topic. I should have looked first before posting this original thread but was more interested in hitting the sack instead.

Thanks.
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
JB Weld might work better than epoxy.
JB Weld IS epoxy.

If the carb body is one with a desirable number or date code, have it heli-coiled. I have used the epoxy fix in my young and stupid days and it worked fine for as long as I had the car. The self-tapping repair fittings are another option.
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:49 AM

In the Jeep, Land Cruiser 4X4 world epoxied carbs, radiator and gas tanks are a common fix. Never had one fail if I had the time to let it set up correctly..... Tedd