General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Exhaust System Kits - Do They Actually Fit?

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Exhaust System Kits - Do They Actually Fit?

Thinking about buying one of those exhaust system kit for the 72 442 vert I'm doing. I need all the pipes from the manifolds back. I already have the trumpets, all the hangers, and am wanting to go stock diameter and aluminized.

I'm really wanting The kit sold by The Parts Place that has the Flowmaster 40's in place of the stock mufflers. Do these kits fit well out of the box, or is there lot of additional bending and or cutting required to make them fit?

Last edited by costpenn; December 6th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM

I bought that exact one for my 70 for $300 but with stock mufflers. Bending- Yes and Cutting - Yes. But it was not bad. Right tailpipe was off so I had to bend it and RH headpipe was short so I added a 2 inch piece with my welder at rear of head pipe (otherwise the RH side would be too far forward and would hit the rear-end. Really only cutting needed was because they give you extra length for trumpets. Overall, a little annoying but not bad if you are handy. When I called to complain, they told me to mail it back and would send me a new one, so they stood behind it, but I did not feel like boxing it back up and dragging it to the terminal to mail (as my local shipping place would not take something that big). Gardner Exhaust is the best in my opinion, but I did not have the money to spend at the time as I think they are more like $600-700 or something like that, but they do fit perfectly. In hindsight, I should have spent the extra money for perfect, but after the tweaking, the $300 one is not bad at all.
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Years ago I bought a kit for a 69 442 HT from TPP and nothing fit correctly. I went through 3 sets of tailpipes and still they were pretty far off. I just gave up dealing with them and I still have that kit sitting in my garage attic. I decided to go with a Gardner system and it fit perfectly. Just used them again for a 69 442 vert project and the results were the same....perfect fit. The Gardner tail pipes come with the trumpet ends already welded on. As mentioned, the price is higher but there is no comparison when it comes to fit and quality.

Brian
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Years ago I bought a kit for a 69 442 HT from TPP and nothing fit correctly. I went through 3 sets of tailpipes and still they were pretty far off. I just gave up dealing with them and I still have that kit sitting in my garage attic. I decided to go with a Gardner system and it fit perfectly. Just used them again for a 69 442 vert project and the results were the same....perfect fit. The Gardner tail pipes come with the trumpet ends already welded on. As mentioned, the price is higher but there is no comparison when it comes to fit and quality.

Brian
Thanks Brian that's all the rationalization I needed to go with a Gardner system!!!
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM

I have also purchased one of these kits. It fit fair. In the end it would have been about the same price to have it done at a good exhaust shop. The down fall to using the parts place is, if they send you the wrong part, and they do about 50% of the time. they charge you 25% restocking for their error. On top of that you are out the shipping both ways. I suggest using a local quality exhaust shop and saving lots of headaches and the working of installing it.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Torque Tech.

Fit my 70 442 like a glove.

Easiest exhaust I have ever done.

Highly recommended.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM

I used the 'factory correct' kit from Inline Tube which was just a few dollars less than the Gardner system. I looks, fits, sounds, and installed perfectly. I couldn't be happier.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:50 PM

exhaust kit fit

all i do is fabricate and repair exhaust systems for a living and i frequently get asked to modify kits so they will fit.i had been asked to install a gardner kit and it fit perfectly,its the only brand ive ever seen fit that good.there may be others but i havent seen them.