General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM

Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Dad and son have a "new" 1956 88 Super Holiday 2dr. Want to change out front shoe brakes with a kit from Kanter. OK, but does anyone know if there is a kit that includes a 2 chamber master cylinder, power booster and proportioning valve? HELP! '56 pedal goes thru the floor. '61 thru the fire wall. Has anyone tried a '61 Suspended Pedal on a '56?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My two scanty pieces of information:

1. If you're a hot rodder, you can put the pedal in there any way you want with enough ingenuity and welding, otherwise, I don't think it would turn out well.

2. I know for certain that there are under-floor power brake / dual master units for older FoMoCo's, so it should be possible to either find one purpose-built for your car, or to adapt one that isn't.

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM

No one makes a conversion for the under floor power brake booster to a dual master cylinder and there is not enough room for a hotrod underfloor conversion because of the rear steering box. You will need to install an after market booster and dual master cylinder on the firewall and a hanging pedal from a donner car. Did not know Kanter had a conversion for a 56. Take a look at this conversion http://www.scarebird.com/ to make sure your getting the right parts

I did this conversion on my 57 which is very similar to yours. Another member on site did the same conversion on his 56. Do a search and you will find him. His running thread is all 56's check in. He goes byhialeah and you can find him in the Vintage Olds forum