General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

I just don't know Jack

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:08 PM

I just don't know Jack

Hi all,

Over the course of the last several months my search for a proper bumper jack for my 70 W-30 has landed me 5 jacks. At least two of them I am confident are not correct at all. However parts of the other 3 I am not certain about - Can u all help??

First Jack - This is a very nicely painted jack. The hook fits my bumper. It has 411611 U stamped on the hook. The hook is black. In a previous posting someone said the 411611 was correct for my car, but this was then contradicted by someone else that said 406925 should be on hook. The base is black. The base looks like it has a very very light stamp on it which may be a RH with a circle around it. It is very hard to decipher. The shaft is a gold sort of color. The lift mechanism has a 9L stamped into one of the rivets.

Second Jack - Also nicely painted. The hook absolutely does not fit my bumper nicely. However, the hook has a U70 stamped into the back (opposite of side facing bumper). It is a dark gray. The base simply has a U stamped into it. It too is gray. The shaft is a cadmium color (bluish hue of a light gray steel). It has a 3A stamped on the rivet.

Jack 3 - this jack is a bit rusted. The hook is a darkish gray color. It also fits the bumper. It has F-85 U stamped on the front and underneath that is stamped 406925. There is no base with this jack. The shaft is also the dark gray color. The lift mechanism has a 7L stamped on the rivet, but also has a Ua stamped on the housing on the opposite side of the up/down lever.

I am also thinking that parts of each of these are the real deal, but I'm not cartain. I have googled and googled and can't find a resource that describes what is correct. As I said I know some of you have already answered a post about your jacks last fall, but given the different opinions I thought I would try again !!!!

Thanks Folks!!!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The jack with the 411611U is the proper hook for 1971 and 1972. I know this for sure because that's what came in my 72, which is exactly the same bumpers as 1971. The 411611U hook WILL work nicely on the back of your car. I don't know about the front, you'll have to check it to see. (You never did say whether it fitted properly on the front or not, but I'm guessing it will fit)

The basic jack stand and base is pretty much universal so don't worry about numbers on them. The only thing that really matters is the hook and the lift assembly because they are designed differently for different bumpers.

re: the 406925 hook. I tried to find it in the GM parts manual, but no luck.