General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Lower Fan Shroud Hardware/Proportioning Valve wire connection

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2015, 04:21 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Lower Fan Shroud Hardware/Proportioning Valve wire connection

Question 1: My old fan shroud was chewed up at the bottom b/c it wasn't connected. I got a new fan shroud, but I'm having a hard time finding hardware to connect the bottom half. I bought some clips from OPGI, but I don't think that's right. There's 2 tabs at the bottom of the shroud with holes in the center of them. Is there some sort of bolt to connect it?

Here are the clips I got:
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1968/co...g/fans/CH4067/

Question 2: I'm rewiring my engine compartment. I got a new harness from American Autowire. Long story short I'm trying to hook up the brake light wire to the proportioning valve. I recently did a front disc brake conversion and the new proportioning valve wire connection is incompatible with the connection. I can buy a connection for $10 and splice it into the new harness. Before I do that I'm curious if the brass nipple from an original pv will screw into this new pv. I'd just rather not hack up a perfectly new harness...any suggestions? I don't have the original PV.

Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Old School Olds

My guess is your 'clips' should look something like this. They attach to the lower part of
your core support and the bolt should go through the shroud.

Can't help with the wiring, good luck with her though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1141.JPG (685.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1142.JPG (259.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by tru-blue 442; July 8th, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:52 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

That looks about right. Do you know a part # or know someone who sells them?

I'm working on my 68 cutlass convertible by the way.

Thanks for your help!
Old July 8th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Old School Olds

Try Florida auto fasteners. If no luck, I can dig around and see if I can come up with some.
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Try Florida auto fasteners. If no luck, I can dig around and see if I can come up with some.
Any decent auto parts store sells those clip nuts. Check in the HELP! line.

Originally Posted by rhett838
Question 2: I'm rewiring my engine compartment. I got a new harness from American Autowire. Long story short I'm trying to hook up the brake light wire to the proportioning valve. I recently did a front disc brake conversion and the new proportioning valve wire connection is incompatible with the connection. I can buy a connection for $10 and splice it into the new harness. Before I do that I'm curious if the brass nipple from an original pv will screw into this new pv. I'd just rather not hack up a perfectly new harness...any suggestions? I don't have the original PV.

Thanks!
If you had drum brakes before, they do NOT have a "proportioning valve". They do have a distribution block. I've never seen any connection to either that wasn't the round brass pin style electrical connector. What does the aftermarket harness have? Or what does the aftermarket prop valve have? Pictures would help here. Yes, you should be able to unscrew the electrical terminal from the old distribution block and screw it into the prop valve, IF it is the same as the factory design. The fact that the connector is different from factory makes me a little concerned, however.