General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Pulley help needed

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2024, 03:04 PM

Pulley help needed

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:57 AM.
Old April 1st, 2024, 03:53 PM

Is the PS pump pulley actually "slanted" or does it need to just go back further ?
Old April 1st, 2024, 04:25 PM

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old April 1st, 2024, 04:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

How about zoom out and take some pictures of the brackets. That spacer at the exhaust manifold bolt is wrong, for starters. I'm guessing none of the PS pump spacers are correctly installed.
Old April 1st, 2024, 05:49 PM

l

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old April 1st, 2024, 05:50 PM

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:57 AM.
Old April 1st, 2024, 05:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

There are two spacers for the PS pump bracket, one on the stud on the timing cover and one at the lower side of the block. Again, that spacer on the exhaust manifold bolt should not be there. It's hard to tell if you have a consistent set of brackets or not.

Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:07 AM

Joes diagram looks like it is from a 71. I have the correct diagrams for the 83 at home. Will try to post them this evening. I dont know if they are the same or not. Yours should be very similar to my Wife's 84 Riviera 307. I remember having to look closely to the diagrams to get the spacers in the correct locations.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BillK
Joes diagram looks like it is from a 71. I have the correct diagrams for the 83 at home. Will try to post them this evening. I dont know if they are the same or not. Yours should be very similar to my Wife's 84 Riviera 307. I remember having to look closely to the diagrams to get the spacers in the correct locations.
The spacers for the PS pump bracket are the same from 1968-1990. They are needed because the same PS pump brackets are used on the Toro, so the front spacer replaces the thickness of the Toro front motor mount bracket and the side spacer replaces the thickness of the Toro differential bracket.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The spacers for the PS pump bracket are the same from 1968-1990. They are needed because the same PS pump brackets are used on the Toro, so the front spacer replaces the thickness of the Toro front motor mount bracket and the side spacer replaces the thickness of the Toro differential bracket.
This should be the correct diagram :

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=135388

I would probably start off by taking the alternator bracket off completely. Then loosen all of the bolts for the PS pump bracket and see if it will relax to the correct position. I agree with Joe that I dont think the spacer at the exhaust header is correct ? I can measure my Wife's this evening. It has the original manifolds so you will have a dimension to go by ?
Old April 2nd, 2024, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Same diagram. Items 7 and 8 are the same spacers I showed.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 07:38 AM

l

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 11:06 AM

Is this welded? If so, this may also be part of the problem....
Old April 2nd, 2024, 11:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ajr2820

Is this welded? If so, this may also be part of the problem....
I pointed that out to the OP when he PM'd me
Old April 2nd, 2024, 11:38 AM

/

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 04:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here are photos of the correct, un-modified alternator bracket. There's no way to tell from here how f'd up your alternator bracket is, but since it bolts to the PS pump bracket, a messed up alternator bracket will cause misalignment of the PS pump. Trash that bracket and get a virgin one like the one in these photos. The spacer to the exhaust manifold bolt still shouldn't be there, so again that bracket is at least part of your problem.

Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The spacer to the exhaust manifold bolt still shouldn't be there, so again that bracket is at least part of your problem.
Do you think that might be to make up for the thickness of the manifold since he has headers ?
Old April 2nd, 2024, 05:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BillK
Do you think that might be to make up for the thickness of the manifold since he has headers ?
The flange on the manifold is not appreciably thicker than on headers. In fact, if you look closely at the photos I've posted, those are the 1985-90 stainless steel tubular manifolds, so the flanges are exactly the same thickness as for headers. There is no reason for that spacer, other than to make up for the fubar'd welded bracket. The stock bracket is a single stamped piece. There is no welding.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 08:40 PM

Last edited by phatrat; April 3rd, 2024 at 05:54 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by phatrat
The fubar alternator bracket looks just like the one you posted except the portion with the adjustment slot that was moved to align the alternator belt. So that modification isn't the cause of the misalignment of the PS pump. I guess I'm on the wrong type of forum as you guys seem to be more to the restoring side of things and I'm a hot rodder not a teaker/restorer. So with the scarcity of a complete set of brackets I guess the only answer is to modify what I have or fab a new one
One more try and I'm done.

The factory did NOT use that spacer between the alternator bracket and the exhaust manifold. The fact that yours "lines up" with that spacer in place says that it is not the same shape as the factory bracket. The fact that your has welding when the factory bracket did not confirms that someone mucked with it to force it into alignment. The factory didn't require any additional grinding on the slot. All of this says that your alternator bracket is not correct. The fact that it just happens to line up now doesn't mean that it is right. And as I've said several times above, the alternator bracket is part of the positioning of the PS pump bracket, so if one is wrong, the other will be also.

You apparently know more about this than I do, since you refuse to accept any advice. Knock yourself out. I've wasted enough time here.