General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Radiator Express ?

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2019, 05:30 AM

Radiator Express ?

Hi gang, so the 3 row radiator in my burgundy 76 98 started leaking and my local shop quoted me $435 for a re-core and $455 (ironically) to add more lines but keep it as a 3 row. Radiator Express has a brand new 4 row in brass/copper for $395. I'd like some feedback if anybody has used their radiators before.

U.S. Radiator has the same thing for a lot more money but they're made in the States vs. overseas.

Thank you in advance.
John
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:09 AM

$400? Good heavens! Rockauto shows a Spectra Premium radiator for your car, 3-row, for $94 plus shipping. Spectra Premium is a good brand. Made in Canada.

You can also get the same radiator at Amazon for the same price, and if you're a Prime member, shipping is free, and you can get it the next day. What's not to like?

Old August 14th, 2019, 08:13 AM

That's a good price!

Here's another company to consider:

https://www.championradiators.com/
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Here's another company to consider:

https://www.championradiators.com/
That site doesn't look too good for this. First off, they don't specifically show radiators for a '76 98. They do show radiators for '65 to '76 Delta 88, which is probably fine as long as it's for the 98's engine. But, when you click on the links for the 2, 3, or 4-row radiators, you're taken to an error page, so it's not clear that they actually have any radiators for the OP's car at all.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:41 PM

From what I've learned, many sites and catalogs don't list a 4 row for the 98 but for the Cutlass which is actually the same. I am all for saving money, especially for something that doesn't make a cosmetic or performance improvement but I do also like the idea of keeping things as close to original as possible. $400 is more than I wanted to spend but it is brand new vs. a re-core, plus it's an upgrade from 3 to 4 row. I am leaning towards the Radiator Express so I'd like some feedback if any of you have used them.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:46 PM

I didn't check to see if they had radiators available for the OP's car. I read about their radiators available for the Cutlass elsewhere on our site. I've also read that they provide radiators for the 86 Ford f250 that I drive. From my understanding they have mixed reviews. It might be another option though.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
From what I've learned, many sites and catalogs don't list a 4 row for the 98 but for the Cutlass which is actually the same. I am all for saving money, especially for something that doesn't make a cosmetic or performance improvement but I do also like the idea of keeping things as close to original as possible. $400 is more than I wanted to spend but it is brand new vs. a re-core, plus it's an upgrade from 3 to 4 row. I am leaning towards the Radiator Express so I'd like some feedback if any of you have used them.
OK, I'm confused. You say your car has a three-row now, and you want to keep it as close to original as possible. Doesn't that mean you want to keep it as a 3-row? Isn't going with a four-row making it less original?

Does your car actually need a 4-row? Are you having overheating problems? Spending $400 vs $100 seems an awful lot to spend just for the heck of it.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:58 PM

One plus of a re-cored OE radiator is that it will be an aluminum core with brass headers The Spectra radiator Jaunty posted is an aluminum core with plastic headers. That's obviously not OE and will stand out if that matters to you.

You could probably buy the Spectra radiator for a bit more at an auto parts store and get a lifetime warranty. I guess RockAuto offers that but I've never looked into it.
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:10 PM

One plus of a re-cored OE radiator is that it will be an aluminum core with brass headers The Spectra radiator Jaunty posted is an aluminum core with plastic headers. That's obviously not OE and will stand out if that matters to you.
You're right. I didn't notice that. Also, if you go to the amazon and site and look at the reviews of Spectra Premium radiator, it's pretty universally disliked, which I find surprising. I've purchased several Spectra Premium products over the years, and they've always worked fine. But there it is.
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:21 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Auto City Radiator and Cold Case make aluminum drop-ins that look closely like OEM rads (if you paint them black) - they have large tubes which provide arguably better cooling than the OEM brass units. I believe the price ranges are $275 - $335 respectively or something close to those figures
Old August 14th, 2019, 05:07 PM

You could probably buy the Spectra radiator for a bit more at an auto parts store and get a lifetime warranty.
Yeah, this really surprised me. I was just this week looking for a radiator for another one of my vehicles and saw the same one both online for $80 or in the local parts store for $115. The online one had a short warranty (90 days or maybe 1 year, can't recall exactly) and the in-store one had a lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty from the local store is well worth the extra $25 to me.
Old August 15th, 2019, 07:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi gang, so the 3 row radiator in my burgundy 76 98 started leaking and my local shop quoted me $435 for a re-core and $455 (ironically) to add more lines but keep it as a 3 row. Radiator Express has a brand new 4 row in brass/copper for $395. I'd like some feedback if anybody has used their radiators before.
John, I just went through this with my Cutlass. I kept my original tanks and had the radiator re-cored with 3 row. The cooling tubes look a bit larger than stock, but that's good as it allows more coolant flow. Best thing is now I have a 'new' radiator that is direct fit and the transmission lines fit exactly as they should. BTW, after converting $, I paid $USD 488. More than I wanted to spend but that's the pricing for brass/copper rads up here.

Another thing, and some may dispute this but IMO a good 3 row radiator will flow as well as a 4 row. I also looked at Rockauto but by the time I added shipping and duty it was a costly to buy a new Spectra Premium (and the one for my car was brass/copper, not plastic/aluminum).

If you re-core, be sure to tell the shop you want to keep the Harrison tag clipped to the side of the inlet tank.

Another thing that most don't realize, but will extend the life of the radiator - Don't mix coolant with straight tap water. Use distilled water. Extends the life of the coolant and also the radiator. You got good mileage out of yours BTW. It doesn't owe you anything at this point in time. I looked at the RA, Radiator Express and US Radiator offerings.After seeing all their prices I'd go with the re-core of the OEM one.