General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Radiator Leak -- 1960 Olds

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Radiator Leak -- 1960 Olds

Hi,

My radiator spring a leak today in the middle of the local Memorial Day parade. This is the second time this season that I've had radiator problems -- there was fluid coming out of the overflow tube when I took it out of storage in May. Was not able to figure out the problem then but have been watching it closely.

The radiator is coming out tomorrow and will go to the local repair shop. The thermostat is only a year old -- I replaced it shortly after I got the car. I want to get to the root cause and am wondering if it's something else besides the radiator.

Has anyone had a similar experience? You were all a big help diagnosing another problem I had with the rear brake cylinders.

Regards,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
60 Olds First Trophy.jpg (74.2 KB, 12 views)
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by misercola
Hi,

My radiator spring a leak today in the middle of the local Memorial Day parade. This is the second time this season that I've had radiator problems -- there was fluid coming out of the overflow tube when I took it out of storage in May. Was not able to figure out the problem then but have been watching it closely.

The radiator is coming out tomorrow and will go to the local repair shop. The thermostat is only a year old -- I replaced it shortly after I got the car. I want to get to the root cause and am wondering if it's something else besides the radiator.

Has anyone had a similar experience? You were all a big help diagnosing another problem I had with the rear brake cylinders.

Regards,
Mark
Mark, radiator pressure caps should be considered suspect if the coolant loss is limited to the overflow tube. Of course given the "junky" nature of many thermostats these days unless you have a Robertshaw thermostat in that engine it could be a bad thermostat again. Off brand radiator caps are also crap.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Thanks

Both the thermotstat and the radiator cap are from Car Quest. I'll definitely look into the the alternatives you suggest.

Regards,
Mark
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Mark, radiator pressure caps should be considered suspect if the coolant loss is limited to the overflow tube. Of course given the "junky" nature of many thermostats these days unless you have a Robertshaw thermostat in that engine it could be a bad thermostat again. Off brand radiator caps are also crap.
X2 on using quality parts, I tried the cheap stuff didn't work.
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Geezer

I'm compelled to make a correction regarding thermostats. Robertshaw controls is apparently no longer producing automotive thermostats and any inventory is only likely to be found on ebay. This leaves only one actually 100% domestically produced line of automotive thermostats and radiator caps. That product line is CTS.

http://www.cstinc.org/products.htm

Stant may still be making some things domestically but since 1997 have been British owned and merged into an automotive group which among some includes: Gates Rubber Company/Stant/Plews/Edelman/Schrader Bridgeport/Schrader Electronics and Dexter Axle.

We're getting to the point not even our automotive replacement parts companies are any longer U.S. owned. Sad state of affairs indeed.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks for clarification

Agree on all counts and thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
Mark
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM

I'm compelled to make a correction regarding thermostats. Robertshaw controls is apparently no longer producing automotive thermostats
Mr Gasket t-stats are the same good ones that Robertshaw used to sell. You can get em at autozone.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM

........ Robertshaw controls is apparently no longer producing automotive thermostats ........
"Apparently" would mean 25+ years ago, when Robertshaw-Fulton sold the design to Cooper-Standard Automotive Inc. in Novi, MI, who is still making Robertshaw thermostats.

Stewart Components, Flow Kooler, Milodon, and Mr Gasket, use the same design.

Norm