General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Seatbelt Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Seatbelt Upgrades

Hey guys, got a question about upgrading the seatbelts in my 71 Cutlass convertible. Can I somehow buy a kit or adapt a lap belt shoulder belt combo to the car for the front passengers and the rear passengers? Would be fantastic if I could because I have 3 small kids that I am seating in the rear. Thanks all in advance.
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM

I cannot be much help on this, but I know it is possible. I've seen this on a 70 Chevelle convertible at a local show. 3 point style harnesses, at least for the front seats.

My own 71 Cutlass Convertible could use a new set as well, so please let me know if you find a decent solution!
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can install repro shoulder belts in the original locations. There is a company that makes them (I don't recall the name). Be aware, though, that the factory front seat shoulder belts anchored rather low behind the seat, and therefore restrained the occupants in a manner that is not considered optimal by modern engineers (in the wrong type of crash, they could be unsafe). I don't think that the rear seats in convertibles had shoulder belt anchors (the rear seats in coupes did), so you're out of luck there, unless someone knows better than me.

I'm wondering about the bigger picture here, though - there is plenty of room in the back seat for the three small kids you describe, and there are three lap belts there, so are shoulder belts really necessary?

- Eric
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Custom68
Hey guys, got a question about upgrading the seatbelts in my 71 Cutlass convertible. Can I somehow buy a kit or adapt a lap belt shoulder belt combo to the car for the front passengers and the rear passengers? Would be fantastic if I could because I have 3 small kids that I am seating in the rear. Thanks all in advance.
Front and rear lap and shoulder belts were an option on your car in 1971 (yes, even on the convertibles). The Fisher Body Manual for 1971 will show you where the hard points are located on the body structure. If you don't use the factory hard points, you're kidding yourself as to the value of the belts.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks, Joe - I didn't know that the convertibles had rear shoulder belt anchors, too.
There just doesn't seem to be anything strong enough back there.

- Eric