General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

What order to do a "rolling" restoration?

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM

What order to do a "rolling" restoration?

I am aware that at some point(s) the car will be out of commission, but this is my daily driver in the spring/summer/fall so I'd like to do as much as possible as I go

Obviously, functionality for a driver comes first so I've made sure she runs & drives (& brakes) satisfactorily

What would you tackle next?
Old July 13th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Justin

Suspension and steering would be next on my list
Old July 14th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Administrator

I like to do safety and tune up items first. Brakes and wheel/axle bearings, engine tune, cooling system, trans, ujoints, body bushings, front suspension, rear suspension, and electrical. Once everything is functioning properly then paint, interior, and weather stripping.
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Once everything is functioning properly then paint, interior, and weather stripping.
See this is why I'm asking, because more than anything I want to replace the door gaskets/weatherstripping and the headliner since its torn & sagging, but I wasn't sure if I should bother until the bodywork/paint was done!
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator

The problem with doing that before paint is you will have to mask around the weather stripping and the tape will destroy it when it is removed. With the interior and headliner, it sometimes gets damaged or stained during the painting process.
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Doing the headliner should not be a problem since it would not interfere with paining. If it is bugging you, go ahead and do it. I think all the other suggestions are good ones. Brakes are #1 and it sounds like you have covered that.
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM

How hard would it be to pull those thing back off before paint?
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:01 AM

As far as the suspension & steering etc... I've been driving it every day (non-winter) for about 3 years and I intend for it to continue on as a driver...

...since it seems to be functioning fine at the moment, I wasn't planning on tackling that, well, until it needed it I guess (just like any other commuter vehicle)

Disagree?
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:53 AM

Weatherstrip cannot be removed once installed because of the adhesive used.
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by coldfire
As far as the suspension & steering etc... I've been driving it every day (non-winter) for about 3 years and I intend for it to continue on as a driver...

...since it seems to be functioning fine at the moment, I wasn't planning on tackling that, well, until it needed it I guess (just like any other commuter vehicle)

Disagree?
I would say it depends in what your plans are for the car ? Just a dd or a project in the making

Me personally , I Like to do drive train ( upgrades if desired ) suspension upgrade ,brake upgrades if needed then I gather as much body trim is needed paint then interior and weather stripping

Then again I don't think you have said what car you are fixing up here ?
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Doing the headliner should not be a problem since it would not interfere with paining. If it is bugging you, go ahead and do it. I think all the other suggestions are good ones. Brakes are #1 and it sounds like you have covered that.
I like to do the complete interior at once. Doing the headliner before paint with a body color change can be problematic.
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by DarrylJ
Weatherstrip cannot be removed once installed because of the adhesive used.
Huh, I didn't know it used adhesive, I guess I've only dealt with modern cars that just press on

Originally Posted by oldstata
Then again I don't think you have said what car you are fixing up here ?
Sorry, its the 1970 Cutlass S in my avatar

Originally Posted by oldstata
I would say it depends in what your plans are for the car ? Just a dd or a project in the making
Here's the situation I'm in with the car

It's a phenomenal daily driver, and one of those cars that looks great from 20 feet away, but up close she's a little rough around the edges... and when it really boils down, it COULD use a complete restoration

2 problems
1. I've gotten spoiled driving a classic car to work everyday and I don't WANT to tear her all apart right now (whine)
2. I have 1-2 other auto projects that REALLY need a complete frame-off (one of which is already partially disassembled) so it's hard to justify tearing into this one too heavily

So I'd like to start fixing her up, but while I continue to drive it
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Justin

If its running all safety is in tact , then I would map out any and all drive train upgrades wanted then body work and interior last but that's me !
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:06 PM

How tough would it be to pull the headliner back out without damaging it if I were to install one now? Don't you usually gut the interior prior to paint anyway?
Old July 16th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

How tough would it be to pull the headliner back out without damaging it if I were to install one now? Don't you usually gut the interior prior to paint anyway?
The reason I said do the headliner was that it appeared to be really bugging you. Yes you need to remove the interior to do a paint job properly. Unlike weather strips, I see no reason a headliner has to be removed. As long as you know what color you are going to use on the interior I see no reason it would hurt to have it installed if that is what you want. If it is not really bugging you, let it wait.
Old July 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Justin

You will end up paying twice for this unless you do it your self
I had a 72 cutlass with no headliner in it at all . I went to the fabric store ,bought some cheap brown fabric and used the rods to hold it up .painted them before I put all together just 3m the edges it wasn't bad but very cheap
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM

I think the best advise I was ever given on restoring a car is, start one project and finish it. Like rebuilding the susupension. Buy all the parts and do it all at once. Then do something else. Start to finish each step. The order only matters to you. It will make sense as you go.
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I think the best advise I was ever given on restoring a car is, start one project and finish it. Like rebuilding the susupension. Buy all the parts and do it all at once. Then do something else. Start to finish each step. The order only matters to you. It will make sense as you go.
X2. For a daily driver do one thing at a time. Only you can judge the priority! Safety first, wear and tear next and appearance next IMHO. That being said if you take something that looks particularly worn you can take a little touch up paint and polish and make a world of difference in how you feel about the car along the way.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM

First thing I do is right out the budget and goals you have for the car.Next I make sure the cars is worth the time and money.

Off to the frame shop to have the frame and body checked to make sure it is straight and that there is no hidden collision damage. I can't tell you how many people and even pro's over look this.
After this checks out I would power wash/steam clean the under side of the car and clean the interior and trunk out as well. I would power wash/ steam clean the engine bay next. Bakes and suspension would be next on my list because you are driving the car.
This would be part one.
I would remove the interior all except drivers seat and safety belt.
Then I would remove all the trim and just before it goes into the body shop that's when I would pull the bumpers and lights.
Rust repair is done first along with dents
Part two to follow
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I decided to work on "go" first & then work on "show" later. Did a complete rebuild on the engine over last winter. Next will be suspension (bushings, springs, shocks, etc.). Brakes were done by the PO. Ours is a daily/weekend driver to so will be taking her around to some body shops to see what can be done with body work during winter time (as budget allows).
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
X2. For a daily driver do one thing at a time. Only you can judge the priority! Safety first, wear and tear next and appearance next IMHO. That being said if you take something that looks particularly worn you can take a little touch up paint and polish and make a world of difference in how you feel about the car along the way.
I think this is where I'm coming from. Like most/all have suggested, overall I'm starting/planning the fundamentals first (engine/drivetrain, brakes, suspension, steering etc.) but there are a couple things - (like the headliner example I keep going back to lol) - that I think I'll take care of earlier than normal progression because it will improve the "feel" of the car while I drive it in the meantime... even if I later ruin it and have to buy it again

Originally Posted by Bernhard
First thing I do is right out the budget and goals you have for the car.Next I make sure the cars is worth the time and money.
All your other suggestions were good... but I'm not sure I want to see the total budget on paper beforehand lol! If it just nickle & dimes me along the way with a few large expenses mixed in, I'm less likely to decide that it's NOT worth it

Originally Posted by rcrac3r
I'm in the same boat as you. I decided to work on "go" first & then work on "show" later. Did a complete rebuild on the engine over last winter. Next will be suspension (bushings, springs, shocks, etc.). Brakes were done by the PO. Ours is a daily/weekend driver to so will be taking her around to some body shops to see what can be done with body work during winter time (as budget allows).
Yup, same boat! Overall I'm with you, function over form to begin... there's just 1-2 cosmetic things that bug me enough I think I'll do them ahead of schedule
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM

My girlfriend thought it would be neat to see a spreadsheet of everything I spend on my car. I told her I dont wanna know cause it will nickel and dime me to death...but I dont care what the car is worth cause I'm customizing it for me. Dont plan on selling it unless I win the lottery...and I dont play. This thread is helping me cause I was going to do the paint job last. Maybe I'll do the the interior last now.
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 455man
My girlfriend thought it would be neat to see a spreadsheet of everything I spend on my car. I told her I dont wanna know cause it will nickel and dime me to death...but I dont care what the car is worth cause I'm customizing it for me. Dont plan on selling it unless I win the lottery...and I dont play. This thread is helping me cause I was going to do the paint job last. Maybe I'll do the the interior last now.
I am keeping a spreadsheet on my car rebuild. Every nut and bolt and nickel and dime. Just don't hit auto sum on the column total or it will scare the heck out of you!
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Yup, same boat! Overall I'm with you, function over form to begin... there's just 1-2 cosmetic things that bug me enough I think I'll do them ahead of schedule
Post some pics! The avatar pic looks ok.
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Part two
I like to do body and paint before engine trans and diff because the body shop is dirty dusty work and makes a mess of you drive line detail work.
I do interior last always along with wheels and tires unless you have roller tires and wheels.

Good luck

Last edited by Bernhard; July 18th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.