1973 swivel bucket seats (I think?)

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:44 AM

1973 swivel bucket seats (I think?)

I have these 73 swivel bucket seats that are in pretty decent shape. Springs are good, neets new vinyl and new seat foam...my only problem is that they came in the car that I bought which is a 1972 Cutlass S (with coloumn shift)

Anyone have an opinion on whether I should get them re-upholstered and keep them or sell them and use the money to get original style seats? Let me know what you think

Thanks!

-R.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
73 bucket seats.jpg (57.2 KB, 139 views)
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM
jfb

I like the idea of swivel seats but seriously i never heard of them until i believe 1974 also with monte carlos but i could be wrong. I use fake recarros from jegs but used and very good condition like new. the choice is yours buddy check everything prices etc plus choices.
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
72 Olds CS

I think they're cool, if you like them keep em and use them
Old November 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM

bucket arent cheap sounds like alot of money either way you go, repair or buy new ones,scat makes the procar 90 seats you can buy from jegs that looks like those used around the 70s
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Were they installed in the car when you got it? I would have thought they'd be too tall to fit. They are cool seats, I've driven a couple cars with them. But they may be expensive to recover. A buddy of mine works in an uphostery shop and said these take a lot of time to do right. So if they fit OK, without the top of your head being against the headliner, you might want to get a price estimate for recovering them before making a decision.

John
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM

JFB: I googled 73 bucket seats and similar seats to these came up...Not 100% sure but I still think they are 73.

Carl: Thanks for the tip, may have to look around. If I end up wanting to sell them and use the money for originals do you have any idea what they could be worth?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Were they installed in the car when you got it? I would have thought they'd be too tall to fit. They are cool seats, I've driven a couple cars with them. But they may be expensive to recover. A buddy of mine works in an uphostery shop and said these take a lot of time to do right. So if they fit OK, without the top of your head being against the headliner, you might want to get a price estimate for recovering them before making a decision.

John

John,

They were bolted in when I purchased the car, pulled them out myself, they fit very well. I'm 5'11 and have plenty of head room in the car. I like the way they look and the swivel action but I'm looking at how they will effect the value of the car since they are not original. But I think I will take your advice and see about what it will cost for new foam and some new vinyl. Thanks!

-R.J.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:32 AM

These seats are not '73 cutlass.
The shoulder strap loop was not there for '73
The pattern with the buttons on the back tells me they are from a chevelle.
My guess is 75 Chevelle or Monte
Joe
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by aretubj
These seats are not '73 cutlass.
The shoulder strap loop was not there for '73
The pattern with the buttons on the back tells me they are from a chevelle.
My guess is 75 Chevelle or Monte
Joe

From what I have seen on Google they are 73-77 GM A body bucket seats, are you saying that they didn't come in the cutlass'? How should I list them if I plan on selling them? I like the way they look but I'm also wondering about how it will effect the value of the restore that I am doing on the vehicle (a 72 Cutlass S)

Thanks

-R.J.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM

airbornerme,sorry dont have a clue what your seats are worth, but if you do find they are orginal you should have no problem selling them on this site,and scat has notifly me saying they will sell direct
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by carl 87 cutlass
airbornerme,sorry dont have a clue what your seats are worth, but if you do find they are orginal you should have no problem selling them on this site,and scat has notifly me saying they will sell direct

Thanks! Honestly I like them but I bought the car for my dad. I haven't really asked him if he likes them or if he'd rather have the originals but we would like to build it to take to the track once a year just for some fun, I dont think he would mind keeping them. We'll see. I'd like to find another project car for myself this summer. Maybe if he doesnt want them I'll keep em for myself!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM

'73 swivels

These are the original swivels in my '73 S. First year they were available in a Cutlass. They were a $67.00 option. I think swivels were also an option in Lagunas, but couldn't swear by it. I've seen them listed from $150.00 to $800.00 a pair.
Oh, whatever you do, don't give this kid (Charlie, my grandson) the keys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seat.jpg (54.6 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by zodiacblueS; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zodiacblueS
These are the original swivels in my '73 S. First year they were available in a Cutlass. They were a $67.00 option. I think swivels were also an option in Lagunas, but couldn't swear by it.
Oh, whatever you do, don't give this kid (Charlie, my grandson) the keys.

Nice! Good to verify that cutlass' did have the swivels! Mine must be a later year, they've got some buttons on them. I'm leaning more and more towards keeping them and just getting new skin and foam for them.

Hey your grandson looks like he's ready to drive! Just get him a phonebook and some wood blocks for the pedals! He's already got his hand on the wheel!
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by AirborneRME
From what I have seen on Google they are 73-77 GM A body bucket seats, are you saying that they didn't come in the cutlass'? How should I list them if I plan on selling them? I like the way they look but I'm also wondering about how it will effect the value of the restore that I am doing on the vehicle (a 72 Cutlass S)

Thanks

-R.J.

I should have been more clear
Yes they were available, just the pattern is not 73 Cutlass.
They're real cool, my mom loved them in our cutlass. Very little effort in getting in and out.
I've sold a couple pair for 200. Mint they would go for a lot more.
Joe
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by zodiacblueS
These are the original swivels in my '73 S. First year they were available in a Cutlass. They were a $67.00 option. I think swivels were also an option in Lagunas, but couldn't swear by it.....
My '73 Laguna had them.

I thought the swivel buckets were available in almost all of the 2 door A body colonades ('73-'77)...