‘70 Trunk Panel Kit

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2021, 11:02 AM

‘70 Trunk Panel Kit

HI All,
I was looking at a trunk panel kit and it is made up of a few CNC’d panels that I can upholster. My question comes from the company listing that it’s for 70-72 Cutlass Supreme/Convertible but specifically states it will NOT fit the hardtop or coupe. As I don’t have details around the convertible, are there differences for the interior trunk space between the models, such as dimensions? I normally don’t pay much attention to products that say will/will not fit within the 70-72 platform as I’ve found them to be inaccurate but this one confused me a bit.
Old February 17th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tgilligan
HI All,
I was looking at a trunk panel kit and it is made up of a few CNC’d panels that I can upholster. My question comes from the company listing that it’s for 70-72 Cutlass Supreme/Convertible but specifically states it will NOT fit the hardtop or coupe. As I don’t have details around the convertible, are there differences for the interior trunk space between the models, such as dimensions? I normally don’t pay much attention to products that say will/will not fit within the 70-72 platform as I’ve found them to be inaccurate but this one confused me a bit.
The notchback cars and convertibles have a different trunk interior shape than do the fastback cars.
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The notchback cars and convertibles have a different trunk interior shape than do the fastback cars.
Thanks Joe. My apologies as I left that out. Mine is the notchback, so would that be the same as the convertible?
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm just going by your original quote of the vendor, that says fits "Supreme/convertible". I ASSUME that "Supreme" meant Supreme HT, but you should ask the vendor. The fender shapes are the same between the Supreme HT and convert, so I would think they were the same (and very different from the fastback cars).

Are these the ones you're talking about?

https://www.alienenclosures.com/shop...unk-panel-kit/
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm just going by your original quote of the vendor, that says fits "Supreme/convertible". I ASSUME that "Supreme" meant Supreme HT, but you should ask the vendor. The fender shapes are the same between the Supreme HT and convert, so I would think they were the same (and very different from the fastback cars).

Are these the ones you're talking about?

https://www.alienenclosures.com/shop...unk-panel-kit/
Bingo. I asked them to confirm but wanted to get feedback from here as well. I assumed the same but as you’ve alluded, I’ve been bitten before. I normally take it with a grain of salt as vendors like Summit and Jegs say it won’t fit for items I’ve personally had no fitment issues with. This however was a bit different.
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:18 PM

I have Alien kit for my Chevelle and love it. They don't make one yet for 68-72 Cutlass (As I tried to find). I made one myself following the Alien template. Cutlass one still at upholstery shop - will upload when back

Old February 17th, 2021, 06:29 PM

Well they do make one for the Cutlass but they list the years as 70-72 rather than 68-72. I’m not sure they are listing it correctly as it’s conflicting. They state it will fit Supreme/Convertible but then state they do not fit hardtop or coupe. I believe they are confusing the fastback with notchback as Joe mentioned. Mine is the 70 notchback Supreme so if it fits a convertible 70, my assumption is it will work for my application too. Would like for them to confirm but am awaiting a response from them.
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:33 PM

you are correct TG....I just remember they didn't have one to fit my 70 hardtop coupe which baffles me as it is very close to the Chevelle. Talked to the guy who came up with the kit. he had/has 71 Chevelle and couldn't find a trunk kit, so he designed his own! COOL!!!
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sschevellecutlass_Bob
I have Alien kit for my Chevelle and love it. They don't make one yet for 68-72 Cutlass (As I tried to find). I made one myself following the Alien template. Cutlass one still at upholstery shop - will upload when back

Very sharp looking. That’s why I’m hoping it will work for my application as I want something similar just all solid black.