Detailing Dash

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:37 AM

Detailing Dash

The narrow silver accent on a 1972 cutlass dash. It goes around the lower portion of the dash, very narrow silver accent. Has anyone painted or had any success detailing that back. That seems to wear out, and I would like to put it back on. Thanks Barb.
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:51 AM

There was a good thread a few months ago about what paint pen was the closest match. Try searching for that.
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sharpie chrome paint pen
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM

Smile

Yes, I looked back and found the paint pen information. Just wondering if all paint pens are the same, or is one brand have a better tip to do this.
I'll go to a Michaels craft store, They should have them.
It does sound like the simplest way, I never thought about a paint pen. Thanks Barb.
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rmoths
Yes, I looked back and found the paint pen information. Just wondering if all paint pens are the same, or is one brand have a better tip to do this.
I'll go to a Michaels craft store, They should have them.
It does sound like the simplest way, I never thought about a paint pen. Thanks Barb.
Before you leap in and start detailing your dash, start with something simple (with raised edges) first. The secret is to keep the pen felt at the proper angle and keep it moving as steady as possible. You'll get a 'feel' for when the pen felt is at just the right angle. I practiced doing this on my office plastic 'in/out' box trays.
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:57 PM

good advice from Allan, I bought a couple of those pens, they all seem to be the same color or colour
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Great question! Great answer! I have been wondering the same thing as mine is quite worn. I'll be stopping to buy a pen today. This site is a world of useful information. Thanks, all.
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by QMaster
Great question! Great answer! I have been wondering the same thing as mine is quite worn. I'll be stopping to buy a pen today. This site is a world of useful information. Thanks, all.
Hey John, when you do the detailing make sure you take before and after pics.

TIP for success: Before painting that detail, go over the trim with a degreasing agent to get rid of the inevitable build up of detailing products like armour all etc. Then rinse with clean sponge - lukewarm water. Either let it dry naturally or dry with a lint free cloth.

It's going to be really hard to keep your arm moving steadily down the surface of the dash - especially while it's in the car. (Also you have buckets which makes it awkward) If you have to stop (likely), feather the felt tip off the surface. Then WAIT till the previously painted surface is completely dry. Line up a stiff piece of paper in the section already done and ease it into the new section to be painted. This will allow the flow of silver through the tip to become uniform instead of 'blobbing'. Take your time for good results.

BTW, nice photo album (feel free to add more pics) and beautiful neighborhood you live in! I'm envious..
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Will do Allan. Thanks for the tips. I'll be posting more pics this spring & summer as I start some of the inevitable projects.