Dualgate vs Standard console preference

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Dualgate vs Standard console preference

I just thought I'd throw out something I noticed recently now that I have a car with a standard console auto shift too. Many folks like the "wow" of the dual gate, I get asked all the time if my convertible has a dualgate. But I must say I like the feeling of the standard shifter, the wood ball is more comfortable and I like that you need to pull up on the shifter to move it. My dual gate is a hard plastic ball and just moves from position to position. Sounds weird but I figure for those that don't own a dualgate to me its not that big of a deal - hope that doesn't sound snooty just my opinion. And not that I will give up the dualgate either

BTW If I had my choice it would be a 4-speed actually (though I couldn't have afforded it then and I certainly could not afford one now). Besides my wife told me years ago when I got it - go ahead buy a 442 just make sure its an auto so I can drive it. Thus the dual gate! and yes she drives it.

Last edited by stevengerard; May 10th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM

I think the dual gate is much like the deck lid spoiler. The cool factor is high, but for normal driving it doesn't make a difference. Years ago I had a parts store convince me to put a "performance clutch" in my 1970 442. I put up with it for maybe six months and swapped it out! It grabbed too hard and driving through town if I missed many of the stop lights it got un-fun real fast! Our cars have to be fun to drive or there's something wrong. So if you like what you have then I wouldn't worry about the people wanting to see all the bells and whistles. John
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM

I'm a little different animal, but... Since the Holiday uses the A/G Body's console and shifter, I really like the look and feel of the Dual Gate in mine.

I converted over to a 79 H/O gate about 3 years ago. Functionally, it leaves a lot to be desired. It is fun to have it out and be asked "Is that a real Hurst Olds?" or "I didn't know they made a Hurst Delta 88."

Silly rabbits. I like the T-Handle. In fact, my Mustang has had a T-Handle Hurst and stick for years now.