Headlight switch courtesy light bulb

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Headlight switch courtesy light bulb

the courtesy bulb for the headlight switch has burnt out and needs replaced. I can not get my fat hands in there to replace. The only thing I can think of is to pull the whole unit out by loosening the front to replace the bulb. My chassis book has a procedure but is a little scarce on the procedure. Has anybody replaced the switch or bulb?

Thanks
Tim
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM

It is just like pulling and replacing the switch, except you do not need to disconnect the switch. I have done it - PITA.

It is a 1445 bulb I think. The fuel gauge will need to be pulled, as well as the AC ductwork below if you have it. You might need smaller hands if they are above medium sized (like mine).

It took me an hour and tossed alot of cuss words.

Did I mention it is a PITA?? Best of luck to ya!
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
It is just like pulling and replacing the switch, except you do not need to disconnect the switch. I have done it - PITA.

It is a 1445 bulb I think. The fuel gauge will need to be pulled, as well as the AC ductwork below if you have it. You might need smaller hands if they are above medium sized (like mine).

It took me an hour and tossed alot of cuss words.

Did I mention it is a PITA?? Best of luck to ya!
What I am doing is installing the optional xtra courtesy lights harness. It looks as though that little light has an attachment that I have not figured out where it goes. the manual shows it goes on the off and on rod between the switch and the back of the dash mounting. PITA is correct but if I am going to subject myself to fits of cussing I need to install it correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM

I assume you are talking about the little bulb that lights up the "LIGHTS" word at night?? That would be connected to the dimming dash lights circuit.

Adding the extra courtesy light harness is another adventure - did not know about that. Not exactly sure I know how it is installed. I am sure someone else does.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

The light"attatchment" that you are talking about, do you mean the ring that comes off the bottom of the bullet like housing the bulb fits into? If so that is the ring that is sandwiched inbetween the switch and the dash. It should have a little notch on the right side of it that matches up with a little tooth on the switch. If that is NOT what your talking about, then I have no idea, sorry!! I actually replaced the whole switch and light last week on my 72 with the dash still on cause I sure as Hell wasen't goin to take it back off again. It sure is a pita but it can be done. I used one of those snaking screwdriver extensions to get the screws out pretty easliy. Putting the switch back in especially when tryig the sandwich the lightbulb in there is tough, but do-able. But if you are a pro at taking the dash out, just do that. But if you are looking to just replace the bulb, and can get your hand up there, just find the grey wire powering the bulb, follow it to the "bullet" the bulb fits into, push in the back of the bulb and twist it to the right. This should release the bulb and wire from the bullet. Replace the bulb, put it back in the bullet, push and twist to the left. Not too bad and long as you can get up there. Good luck!
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

That is a fun one, I did the courtesy and dash light harness on mine too. That bracket for the bulb and I think the faceplate/bezel? I had to get from 2blu442, my first John purchase.
Do they all have the light switch bezel with the little hole for the light to shine through?
I never saw anything like that and the overhead blue lighting deal for the other controls before, pretty cool.
Weird that they're optional.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I never saw anything like that and the overhead blue lighting deal for the other controls before, pretty cool.
The lit up blue exclamation point on the mid 80's Cutlass' headlight switch is another item that very few know about. It uses a special projection bulb coupled to the switch via fiber optic. The bulb is short lived and is on all the time the car is running.
Rumor has it that too many people got their fingers stuck in the AC vent while fumbling for the light switch at night...
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM

I have found that the light housing connector is well shown in the manual. Mine is a completely different type light bullet housing. So at this time there will be no light in "Lights" at night. The difference in the interior lighting is amazingly brilliant at night. 100% better than what I had.
Is somebody saying the lights under the blue faceplates are blue bulbs?
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM

Lights are all white , Lens are blue
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by MJAKS462
Lights are all white , Lens are blue
Thanks for the info! The lights really add a nicer look.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by tim72
I have found that the light housing connector is well shown in the manual. Mine is a completely different type light bullet housing. So at this time there will be no light in "Lights" at night.
Did you take the bullet looking cover off and replace the itty bitty bulb?
Can you post a picture of it?
After all that work, I hope you get it to work!