How do I trim carpet?

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:46 AM

How do I trim carpet?

So, I'm in the process of fitting carpet to my Cutlass, and the PO threw the front carpet out (he probably thought he'd be doing someone a favor)

In any case, I've got nothing to measure from. And this carpet is tough as nails. How do I cut it?
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:09 AM

A razor blade cutter, a sharp utility knife, box cutter or some variation of the same, will easily cut it. If you are using replacement carpet designed for your car getting it properly fitted, lying in place before starting to slice it up if very important. Cutting it too short to cover/fit correctly is a common problem. If you can catch a sunny day to get the carpet out of the box and lay it in the sun to let it warm up and relax from being rolled up in the shipping container that will also help. Getting the seats, console etc out of the way helps. Lay it in place and play/test fit every inch of the area before you make a cut, move it around and look at it from every angle before cutting. Pay attention to tucking it under the edge of the firewall pad. The old saying "measure twice and cut once" comes to mind here. I sometimes glue it down around the edges when I finalize the installation.
Good luck,
Mike
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:36 AM

A carpet knife that takes a square double edge razor (nickname bloody mary) works good as long as you keep changing the blade. The blade will dull quickly if your cutting on the sheet metal floor. The good thing is that you get four changes out of one blade. A soldering iron works good for the bolt holes and stops the rug from unravaling.
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:06 AM

A new pack of utility blades will get you through this job with ease. I made a huge mistake the first time I installed carpets. I started trimming before mounting the seats. Once I put the seats in, the carpet pulled tight and it was too short. I had to scrap a brand new carpet and I was not happy about it. This was also before a big trip so I had no choice but to drive with nothing but padding in place. My second attempt went flawlessly as I quickly learned from my mistakes. Take your time with it and you'll love the results.
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM

Everyone else said razor blade, but I like using those super sharp heavy duty pair of scissors. You know - the ones that cut effortlessly through tin cans but wont nick paper...
Much safer for yourself or other trim in case the blade slips.

Cut small sections off at a time. It is easy to trim off more but difficult to add pieces back on (though it is possible, as I have done it...)

Start reading here for more carpet laying tips and goofs...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post63224
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:48 PM

Don't use a plasma cutter!!!
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:09 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I cut mine 3 times and it was still too short..
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by fjross
A soldering iron works good for the bolt holes and stops the rug from unravaling.
good info