Legandary Vs PUI

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2023, 02:41 PM

Legandary Vs PUI

This debate is as old as the hills, but has anyone used PUI recently? Would like to go Legendary but they do not use the correct color of Blue for my 70 Supreme. I have got the sample and it is nowhere even close. You can order a color from another year that is closer, but you pay the custom fee for that, and once you figure that fee for Front seats, Back Seats, Front Door panels and rear door panels it really starts adding up. The color from PUI appears to be a lot closer, waiting for a sample to compare
Old March 29th, 2023, 09:17 AM
Ben

PUI quality is hit and miss- If you buy their covers, buy from a reseller with good customer service- because if you need to return them because of defect you want them on your side going to bat.
PUI generally is really good about exchanging when there are issues (which are often in my experience so its good that they are cool about it).

I just did a 65 Chevy II back seat and the PUI cover (Red) fit great, looked great and was stitched right.
A month ago a customer of mine bought PUI 71/72 chevelle bucket covers (black) the stitching was horribly crooked on one upper cushion, only noticed it after finishing one of the seats! Had to fight with Speedway to take them back, had to pay for another set to be shipped to him and him to return the bad one with the remainder of the second set before they would credit him back (terrible)... only to find the next set was from a different batch of vinyl and had a noticeably different sheen & grain... I never did hear back if they made it right...

PUI will make it right when there are problems, but like i said, you better have a good vendor because you have to go through them, you can't deal with PUI directly.

All that said- High volume Black PUI covers and door panels seem to be lower quality than lower production colors/models that have to be made to order.
Most of their black & high volume stuff is made in China, while lower volume products and one-offs are made at their Kentucky plant here in the US, so I suspect that is why the quality seems better for some items but not all.

FWIW, if you need to special order PUI stuff, i highly recommend using Wellington Classics in Colorado.
They are a small restoration shop, but they are also resellers for both legendary and PUI (and several other vintage lines) and often have better prices than most other resellers, and in the event of an issue they will go to bat for you.
I send all my customers to them to order their covers for that reason.

Hope this helps!
Ben

Old March 29th, 2023, 04:10 PM

PUI = Standard Quality, Legendary = Premium Quality as a general rule. Can’t speak to all specifics. The color thing is interesting.

Last edited by bccan; March 29th, 2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old March 29th, 2023, 05:07 PM

Is it possible that your original colors were faded/contaminated badly?
Old March 29th, 2023, 06:15 PM

thanks for all the responses. Gives me plenty to think about I am going to attach a pic with the colors. I understand my stuff is probably faded but the new sample is lighter than what I have.
Old March 29th, 2023, 06:32 PM

Very noticeably lighter.
Old March 30th, 2023, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuxter
thanks for all the responses. Gives me plenty to think about I am going to attach a pic with the colors. I understand my stuff is probably faded but the new sample is lighter than what I have.
Can you send this pic back to them to see what they say about the color diff ? I would light it better and take a second pic too
Old March 31st, 2023, 02:28 AM

I thought the Supreme had the same shade as the S and 442? Their sample is correct for the S and 442 so if there was a different shade for the Supreme, maybe they sent you the wrong sample?
Old March 31st, 2023, 10:20 AM

I have gotten a lot of support on this issue with some contacts at legendary to reach out to. The comment about sending the pic to legendary, I have tried that and got this response, I will be reaching out to the contact I was given at Legendary for more info. Thanks everyone on this thread and all the rest of them I am on for all the help.............................................. ...I spoke to tech department and the lighter color sample we sent is the color we are using right now for the 70 cutlass supreme. If this color is to light for your interior, you do have the option to select a custom color and make a custom interior. Thank you for checking with legendary for your restoration needs.

Paul Currier

Legendary Auto Interiors Ltd.

Flextread, LLC

Sales / Customer service professional

800-363-8804 Ext. 230
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:36 AM

What is your trim code on your data plate on the cowl? There were 7 trim colors for 1970 but only one Blue trim code for the F85/cutlass/442. The vinyl sample that legendary sent you is the medium blue color of the vinyl used in 70. I recently bought covers and panels from legendary for a blue 70 442 and it was spot on color wise. I think the supreme is the same color just different patterns on the seat and panels. Are you sure those are the original covers? Are you sure the covers have not been dyed? What color is the vinyl in an area under the seat or covered with the seat plastic that has not been exposed to sun and wear? I think more checking is in order to be sure what they sent you is not correct. They are pretty good at knowing original colors.
Old April 1st, 2023, 10:04 AM

Many years ago I got a set of PUI black door panels. While stored in the garage the wood grain portion stretched (?) creating lots of wrinkles in it.
Old April 27th, 2023, 12:58 PM

Very interested in this thread as I just called Legendary and a PUI reseller and am awaiting samples for the Lt metallic blue for 68 Cutlass. Will post pics when I receive them. Not really looking forward to waiting the 9 to 12 month lead time they both said only to find out it is wrong.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:27 PM

Where is Legendary stuff made? Just curious.

OLE442
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by OLE442
Where is Legendary stuff made? Just curious.

OLE442
Legendary makes their stuff in New Jersey.
TMI Makes their stuff in California
PUI (now a subsidiary of RPUI) is headquartered in Kentucky, they make some products there, but most PUI are made in China
Distinctive Industries (sold by OPG) makes their covers and door panels in Mexico
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:30 PM

I think the supreme is the same color just different patterns on the seat and panels.
Correct.
Old May 9th, 2023, 11:42 AM

Here are the samples from my car, PUI via Fusick and direct from Legendary. The PUI is definitely closer in color and grain texture.

Old May 9th, 2023, 11:46 AM

1968 Cutlass Convertible is my car
Old May 9th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Legendary makes their stuff in New Jersey.
As far as I know Legendary makes all their stuff in Newark, New York, about 20 minutes from me. When I bought my interior panels I dropped off my rear upper metal panels at their shop so they could be re-used.

FWIW Newark, NJ and Newark NY are about 5 hours from each other....lol

Last edited by allyolds68; May 9th, 2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 10th, 2023, 11:09 AM

I sure hope New York's version of 'Newark' is nicer than New Jersey's.