Original vs Custom

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Original vs Custom

Hey classid Olds!!!! Got a question. Whats better original or custom when it comes to interior? My car is not original but i dont want to stray too far away. All comments appreciated Thanks.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71KUTLASS
Hey classid Olds!!!! Got a question. Whats better original or custom when it comes to interior? My car is not original but i dont want to stray too far away. All comments appreciated Thanks.
"Better" is totally subjective. Ask this question over at AACA and they'll come down on your head for modifying a car, but in reality stock will always be worth more than custom. Of course, as you point out the car isn't stock now and you should do what you want to it. No one will argue that seat technology has come a long way.
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Like many here will say, I prefer it stay original due to the rarety of the older cars, but it IS your car, so do what makes you happy.
An original style will usually bring more $$ at resale time and will be easier to sell.
If you go custom, try not to do anything that is not reversible, in the event you or a future owner wants to go back to stock.

Changing to another color from that year is acceptible to most, as is changing a bench to buckets. Cutting a dash for a modern radio or whatever is taboo, as it cannot be undone.
Adding power windows or such is fine if stock looking. I would not do this to a mint original car, but if the interior needs changing anyway, why not...
If you decide to go to an M&M's rainbow theme with a marshmallow dash pad, you have gone way too far. Sell the Olds and get a foreign car to do that to.......
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
car guy

A well done custom can really make a car look great if it ties with the rest of the theme of the build. The problem is 90%+ of the attempts to do it are complete failures. You can never go wrong with a stock interior.
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
You can never go wrong with a stock interior.
truth
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:39 AM

A friend of mine has a 71 Chevelle SS, he changed the front seats to I think Scat Seating. They look good, not cheezy like some, and the support and comfort is awesome. I ride in his car, then get in my 442 and my seats feel like there is no support at all. When I do the interior in a few years I may look at some different bucket seats. What I'm saying is some of the aftermarket seats, etc, have come a long way. They look and perform much better than they used too.
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Oldsdruid

Long as everything's done tastefully, custom guts aren't that bad. The trouble is I can remember a time when custom interior meant deep diamond pleated vinyl all over everything, or a coffin styled interiors- both of which are too over the top. Then there was that tweed phenomenon of 20 years or so ago...

Bland colored vinyl or leather isn't high on my list of looks to emulate either.
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Whatever your butt is most comfortable in. It all boils down to that.
Larry
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM

You can never go wrong with a stock interior.
Ditto!!
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM

How not to pimp your Olds:
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
"Better" is totally subjective.
Agreeeeeeed.

It really depends on what car crowd you hang out with, will determine the reactions you get. Me personally, I prefer to modernize the classic's inside under the skin. Keep the appearance of the classic body lines and go custom everywhere else. This creates a unique vehicle.

I have a brand new stock looking interior......I just replaced everything in 2009 when I got it. Seat covers, cushions, handles, trim pieces, package tray, etc. Now.....I'm sick of it already. So this week I've been browsing Chevelle custom interiors because they are easier to find then the very rare 442 custom interior. Once I commit, every piece of interior is getting yanked and sold as a complete set for someone else who wants to stay stock.

Check out InMotions LS2 Magnaflow Chevelle that was at the 2008 SEMA show.
I have been trying to find this car for months and finally found it last night and emailed the shop in Fort Lauderdale that did it. I'm going to find out how much was spent and see if I can find a shop locally that can design me a dash and console. The seats are Corbeau's, and the gauges are all Autometer Cobalt blue LED which I already have in my 2nd gen Z28.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...8&postcount=87

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/316590...rolet-chevelle

036-1.jpg

The problem is 90%+ of the attempts to do it are complete failures. You can never go wrong with a stock interior.
Agreed with this as well.
Your custom interior varies greatly on your chosen shops abilities.
If they aren't all that great, you end up with a big investment that looks mediocre or totally crappy.
The key is finding a shop whose work shows their talent so you're not wasting time and $$$ with.

This one IMO is retarded.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 15th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:22 AM

Check out the badass headliner, panels and rear seats done by Karma Kreations out of California.
I don't care for the dash or center console but this is very nice IMO.

Another $92,000 pro-touring custom Chevelle. http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/c...let-00203.html