Rebuilding bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2023, 05:57 PM

Rebuilding bucket seats

I am rebuilding the bucket seats out of my 1966 Oldsmobile 442. The seats foam is in fairly bad shape and my dad took the seats apart and I don’t know where to start. I don’t know how to tell which seat is the driver seat and which is the passenger seat. And I don’t know how to refoam it or do anything with rebuilding these seats. My dad wanted to install seat heaters and racing harnesses. Right now my main focus is just to get the seats refoamed. If anyone can help me with refoaming the seats and installing the seat heater and racing harnesses, that would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 18th, 2023, 09:16 AM

You have a lot going on. But gotta start somewhere. First off, there might be a button that’s used to unlatch and fold the seat forward, so people can get into the back seat. That button is closest to the doors when the seat is installed. Second I watched a boat load of videos to get comfortable with cutting my new seat foam (not inexpensive- did not want to mess it up). I purchased very good quality burlap to go between my seat foam and springs. Others may use vinyl (it’s just what I chose). I bought good quality hog ring pliers (Eastwood) a straight pair and angled pair (I ended up using the angled pair mostly). Good luck
Old May 18th, 2023, 09:29 AM

Legendary interiors has a lot of videos on Youtube
Old May 18th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by brianbeez67
You have a lot going on. But gotta start somewhere. First off, there might be a button that’s used to unlatch and fold the seat forward, so people can get into the back seat. That button is closest to the doors when the seat is installed. Second I watched a boat load of videos to get comfortable with cutting my new seat foam (not inexpensive- did not want to mess it up). I purchased very good quality burlap to go between my seat foam and springs. Others may use vinyl (it’s just what I chose). I bought good quality hog ring pliers (Eastwood) a straight pair and angled pair (I ended up using the angled pair mostly). Good luck
thank you for the help. I have a lot more going on than just the seats with this car but I want to get this sorted out because it is fairly easy to do. Are there any other tools I will need aside from the pliers?
Old May 18th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Ben, RAMBOW does interior work. Here's a thread where he's offering a kit to help rebuild seats.

​​​​​​Bucket, Bench & Rear seat padding, repair & install kits - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old May 18th, 2023, 07:15 PM

Checkout the Oldsmobile page and the Interior page on https://www.vintagepartsource.com , they have a large list of Olds parts suppliers with interior trim parts and tools. Might be one that has the foam and other seat parts you might need.
Old May 19th, 2023, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by vintagepne
Checkout the Oldsmobile page and the Interior page on https://www.vintagepartsource.com , they have a large list of Olds parts suppliers with interior trim parts and tools. Might be one that has the foam and other seat parts you might need.
okay, thanks for the help!
Old May 19th, 2023, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Ben, RAMBOW does interior work. Here's a thread where he's offering a kit to help rebuild seats.

​​​​​​Bucket, Bench & Rear seat padding, repair & install kits - ClassicOldsmobile.com
okay, thanks for the help!

​​​​​​​
Old May 20th, 2023, 03:20 PM

This should be exactly what you need to watch. Seats are the same

Old May 31st, 2023, 03:57 PM
Ben

This is a step by step write up i did a couple years ago... Probably has waaaaay more info than you need, but its in there anyway.
https://www.chevelles.com/threads/wo...ebuild.987634/

If you don't need spring repairs, you can Fast Forward to post #29 on Page 2.

If you need spring repairs, read the first few pages. Its all relatively easy to do, and I can help sell you exactly the spring parts you need so you don't have to blow $80 per cushion on reproductions.
There is also a diagram in post #28 that shows the most commonly broken spots in the bucket seat spring assemblies to watch for.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer here in the thread, or via PM if you prefer.

Old June 4th, 2023, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
This is a step by step write up i did a couple years ago... Probably has waaaaay more info than you need, but its in there anyway.
https://www.chevelles.com/threads/wo...ebuild.987634/

If you don't need spring repairs, you can Fast Forward to post #29 on Page 2.

If you need spring repairs, read the first few pages. Its all relatively easy to do, and I can help sell you exactly the spring parts you need so you don't have to blow $80 per cushion on reproductions.
There is also a diagram in post #28 that shows the most commonly broken spots in the bucket seat spring assemblies to watch for.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer here in the thread, or via PM if you prefer.
Okay, thank you very much!