Reclining Mechanisms for a '75 Salon

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2009, 03:15 AM

Reclining Mechanisms for a '75 Salon

Refurbished my interior for a '75 Salon. Ready to put back together except for reclining bucket seat mechanisms. They resemble a storm door pump, or a shock absorber. They are completely frozen and not move. Cannot find these things anywhere, and they cannot be fixed. I believe this is Salon only. I found a person who is attempting to rebuild them, but he is unsure if it could be done. Does anyone know anything?

Eric
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Changed that part in 1981 with my dad on a 76' Salon that he bought for my older sister. The car was loaded with every option, and basically new at the time, only 10,000 miles on the clock, and only needed minor odds and ends, (the dealer even threw in a new paint job with the purchase price, those were the days!) Replacing the reclining seat actuator made a huge difference in diver comfort. All Salons that had the optional strato reclining bucket seats had them. Your right, the reclining seat actuators do freeze up and stop working. We got one from the dealer and put it in. Not hard at all. I would asume today junk yard stuff would be junk, but you never know. A better bet would be to put out a call to others on the board who have an Olds parts book to find the part number for the reclining seat actuator for that model and year. Like most GM parts it was probably used in many different models over a period of years. You could have a national search done of GM dealers, (despite what's gone on in the past year, GM still has huge parts inventoires sitting around) More than likely, somebody still has a few, but you will need the part numbers to begin a serious search.
Old April 19th, 2020, 03:37 AM

Bringing an 11 year old thread back from the dead! I'm trying to locate the same part. Part number appears to be 11.377. If anybody has a line on one or knows what it might cross-reference to, or even how to fix them, I'm all ears!
Old April 19th, 2020, 11:17 AM

That's the GM body group number. You have to dig deeper within that group number to find the actual GM part number. After doing so, I'm pretty certain that the correct part numbers are 9686167 (RH) and 9686168 (LH) Passenger/Driver Seat Back Reclining Actuators. GM Parts Manual shows these to fit '74/'75 AJ-29 & AJ-57 body styles with European Bucket Seats. A quick internet search shows Oldsobsolete.com has the RH in stock (NOS) and would presumably be thrilled to part with it for a mere $525.