Seat Belt Retractor Cover - RCF-401

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Seat Belt Retractor Cover - RCF-401

Hey guys,

Other than tracking eBay, does anyone know where I could possibly find replacement seat belt retractor covers with part number RCF-401? They're for the front seats. Note the hinged "door".

Car in question is a 1970 Cutlass SX. And, it has the deluxe seat belt option (this may or may not be pertinent).

The Parts Place reproduces covers (RCF-400), but they are a bit smaller. The base of the retractor sticks out below the cover and would be exposed. Plus, the belt doesn't retract deep enough to be able to extend back up.

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:35 PM

Is you interior seiana? what color do you need, I'd bet someone on here has an extra set that may be the color you need - otherwise yes ebay is a place to watch, be patient they show up inexpensively occasionally
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Mine are gold, but I'd consider any color as I could dye/paint them.
Old May 21st, 2022, 12:17 PM

What did you end up finding that works for your SX in regards to the retractor cover? I am having a heck of a time finding anything that fits. Any and all help/recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old May 23rd, 2022, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 70OldsTXSX
What did you end up finding that works for your SX in regards to the retractor cover? I am having a heck of a time finding anything that fits. Any and all help/recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!
As it turns out, retractor covers with hinged door are for '72 model years. I believe the opening is to provide access to a wire for cars with a seat belt warning option mounted on the dash. I'm sure others will chime in if this is incorrect.
Anyway, for a '70 SX the cover will be one piece. The correct cover will depend on whether or not you have standard vs deluxe front seat belts.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 07:02 AM

Interesting…. I appreciate your response. I believe that I have the deluxe front seat belts, since mine have the metal buckle and not plastic. The old ones that were cracked and broken did not have the rear door to them and looked almost identical to the RCF-300, but obviously were bigger.
Old May 24th, 2022, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
As it turns out, retractor covers with hinged door are for '72 model years. I believe the opening is to provide access to a wire for cars with a seat belt warning option mounted on the dash. I'm sure others will chime in if this is incorrect.
Anyway, for a '70 SX the cover will be one piece. The correct cover will depend on whether or not you have standard vs deluxe front seat belts.
Correct! I'm mostly certain that all the cars came with the belt retractors with the connector, regardless of whether or not the actual warning system was there. At least, that's how my '72 Supreme was assembled.

The Pontiac guys, of all folks, are repoping the 401 covers. Ames sells them IIRC. It was a revelation to find their catalog and all the small interior bits that everyone else ignores.
Old May 24th, 2022, 06:08 AM

Do you happen to have a website for Ames and is that the part number that I should search? I appreciate any help. Thank you!
Old May 25th, 2022, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 70OldsTXSX
Do you happen to have a website for Ames and is that the part number that I should search? I appreciate any help. Thank you!
https://lmgtfy.app/?q=ames+performance

Flip through the catalog. It's cathartic.