Seat Foam Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM

Seat Foam Adjustments

I will be refitting foam to the bucket seats of my 1970 442. I had new foam put in by a professional upholsterer. The foam has made it so I sit too high, touching the top of my head on the headliner. The solution I have found out is to change the foam to American Foam Cushions (I think that is the name of it). I have been told that I will have to make cuts in the foam for the piping. That is where I am lost. I will not have the original foam to use to copy from because the upholsterer tossed it out. Can someone help me out as to what I need to do?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM

You must be thinking about American Cushion Industries withthe flying mule logo...

How tall are you? When i had my car's seats redone, i sat much higher, but still had 3-4" of headroom for this 5'9" guy. For so long I was almost sitting on the floor.

I have not heard of making cuts in the foam for piping...
Did you get seat covers from Legendary or PUI or did your shop custom make them?
I suspect you might have to take a seat apart and see how the covers were sewn. ..
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:22 PM

I stand 6'2." My hair actually touches the headliner, but it feels uncomfortable. I didn't sit that high in the seat with the original foam. I bought the foam from Legendary Auto back in 05. A respondent in another forum said Legendary carries two foams. He thought I got their "Sagauro" foam which is stiff and bulky. He said they also carry American Cushion Industries foam, which should cure my problem. They didn't give me any choices back then, just asked if I wanted foam with the seat covers. The forum respondents also talked about cutting the foam for the piping, I guess so it sits right. At a car show I had mentioned to another Oldsmobile guy about the problem and I remember him saying something about he noticed my seat piping not sitting like it came from the factory. I'm assuming the "piping" is the bead that runs around the seat upholstery.
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM

Smile Ride height

If your hair is touching the headliner then wear thinner shorts..
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by nelsontj
I stand 6'2." My hair actually touches the headliner, but it feels uncomfortable. I didn't sit that high in the seat with the original foam. I bought the foam from Legendary Auto back in 05. A respondent in another forum said Legendary carries two foams. He thought I got their "Sagauro" foam which is stiff and bulky. He said they also carry American Cushion Industries foam, which should cure my problem. They didn't give me any choices back then, just asked if I wanted foam with the seat covers. The forum respondents also talked about cutting the foam for the piping, I guess so it sits right. At a car show I had mentioned to another Oldsmobile guy about the problem and I remember him saying something about he noticed my seat piping not sitting like it came from the factory. I'm assuming the "piping" is the bead that runs around the seat upholstery.
The piping should be the thin round trim bead that goes around the seat. Can you post a picture of what you have?
I am not sure what they mean on cutting the foam, since the piping is on the outside...
Softer foam should help give you an inch or two of head clearance, but you will not sit as low as in your 30 year old + foam.
New foam will also settle with use, so maybe you should drive a lot more!
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Another inch or two and I will be grinning. I cannot send a picture of the seats because I have the car in storage in a car bag with desiccants. I will not take it out of that for another month or two because we can still have quite crappy weather in the next few weeks. I still have to wait for the rain to wash the salt off the roads and for the crews to fill the potholes.

As I see it I have two choices:

1) Find someone with an enormous butt and have them sit in it and I will bring them food and drink (OUCH!), or,

2) Replace the foam.

What is rather irritating is I brought it to a professional upholsterer, who has been in the business since the late 50's, because I thought it would be done right the first time. I would have thought he would have realized the new foam may be a little too "generous." I realize the old foam would have been flattened from 30+ years, but I would think he would have a "feel" for what will work and not work. I guess that was "Disneyland" thinking on my part.

At ROP Restoration "Legendary Foam for a 68" is where they talked about the cutting for the piping. I guess I'll have to go back there and see if they can explain more, because I got lost. They were talking about 68 seats so maybe I am comparing apples with oranges.

By the way, Lady72nRob71 that is a beautiful looking 442. I like that color.