Seat Upholstery for a 1956 Super88...

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Seat Upholstery for a 1956 Super88...

Hello everybody, I'm new here with my 1956 Super88 Holiday, and I need to change all the two seats upholstery because they are in a bad condition. Which place do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Brizio I don't know of anybody making repro upholstery for a 56. I oversaw the restoration of my friends 54 convertible. We completely redid the car including the entire interior. Fortunately we had one of the original dealer manuals the salesmen used. It had vinyl and fabric swatchs and showed how the origingal upholstery was done. We picked vinyl at the trim shop that was very close in color and grain and had them duplicate the original interior. Granted it was not cheap. If you still have the original seats or door panels you might use one of those as a pattern.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Past Administrator

Talk to my son Jesse (Olds64), he recently had some interior work done on his '71 98 because he could not get stuff pre-fabricated that was satisfactory. He purchased material and had a local man do it. Understanding local to him is not local to you but he could relate his experience at least. Welcome to our site.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Brizio, Welcome to the site, post your general location. There is most likley someone near you has had upholstery work done and can give you some good information on where to go.

Last edited by citcapp; February 13th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks to all!

Yes I have the original seats on it.

I'm in Portland Oregon.
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Oldsdruid

www.smsautofabrics.com

They're in Canby which is really local to you. Not cheap, but they almost always have the exact seat material you need, which is important if you're trying to duplicate the factory stuff. They can also make door panels if needed.
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM

SMS is a good company, their prices are a bit high though. I am having my interior redone but I had a local guy stich custom seat covers for me. He is almost done. From what I have seen so far I am very impressed. I will post pics soon. You just have to decide if you want something "original and expensive" or "custom and less expensive."

If you want to go "custom and cheap" you can order a generic seat cover from Kanter or Automotive Interiors. I was considering this but decided against it. Their products just didn't strike me as quality.
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM

I will contact them, I would prefer keep it more original as possible.
Thanks!!! You are very helpfull!!!

And here I feel with friends, not like some others site where because a person is a newbie hey treat him like nothing... So Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Olds64
SMS is a good company, their prices are a bit high though. I am having my interior redone but I had a local guy stich custom seat covers for me. He is almost done. From what I have seen so far I am very impressed. I will post pics soon. You just have to decide if you want something "original and expensive" or "custom and less expensive."

If you want to go "custom and cheap" you can order a generic seat cover from Kanter or Automotive Interiors. I was considering this but decided against it. Their products just didn't strike me as quality.
did you buy anything from sms? They have the s88 panels for 1956(fully assembled with the trim and all Brizio) and would love to hear from some one that's bough from them before
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM

I did not buy from SMS. Their prices are WAY TOO HIGH! Having an "original" interior isn't that important to me. I had a local interior guy redo my interior in multi-color brown.