Shoulder belts for convertible

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Shoulder belts for convertible

I have shoulder belts in my 1970 442 convertible. The lap belts are the smaller stainless deluxe models and the back seat belts are the wider version. The shoulder belts for the front occupants are the wider ones as well. Does anyone know if that is correct? Should the shoulder belts on a convertible be smaller or are they the larger ones? Does anyone have back seat shoulder belts? Should those be the wider ones as well and does the male end or the female end mount to the rear deck? Thanks
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I've heard of the rear shoulder belts as OPTIONAL equipment on the coupes / hardtops. I've never heard of it on olds verts. I looked through the Fisher Service manual and could only find info about removing the shoulder belts from the rear package shelf mounts when doing maintenance. So if you've got em, either they came with the car or someone added them.
Since you have what appears to be 2 different styles of belts in the car, I suspect someone has likely changed the belts (front?back?) in your car.

My car has deluxe belts also, with the shoulder harness for the front seat. They are exactly the same size (width and color). They clip into a special slot in the regular front belt (male end that you pull - no pun intended) and they clip as a unit into the female reciever. All my belts have exactly the same date coding stitched onto the belts. Have you checked this to see if they match?

Just based on how GM makes their cars, i would think the rear harness should have the male end coming from the rear deck, and connecting to the female end anchored under the seat.

Maybe someone else can verify??? I darn near bought a set of rear shoulder belts for my ride last year, but the price was god awful.
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM

I remember those type of seat belts but they were on a hard top - the ones where the shoulder belts clip onto the male end as you mentioned. And they were the narrow type, I have been told by others that the shoulder belts on the convertibles were a different size but who knows - that's why I was asking - can't tell from the assembly manual. Thanks.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:21 AM
Registered

I have seen cars that used the the small buckle for the shoulder belt like the hardtops so you couldn't mix up the the shoulder and lap belt. I was planning on putting those in my 68 GTO but they clutter things up too much for my taste, looking good is better than feeling good.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; July 21st, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM

forgot I posted this, from what I have found over the year is that even if you have the front smaller deluxe lap seat belts the shoulder belts are the wider ones that match the rear seats. The installation instructions is in the assembly manual and was a dealer installed option