Weather strip manufactures

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 03:36 AM

Weather strip manufactures

I am finishing up a restoration on a 71 convertible and starting to try to align the windows to the top frame before it goes to have the top put on. I don't know if the problem is the top weather striping or the aftermarket glass. I'm noticing that the convertible top frame rubber pieces seem to be too long and may need to be trimmed in order for the joints to close without binding or bulging. I used Sof Seal kit for the rest of the car and noticing that the door rubber is starting to deteriorate where the rubber would close against each other (example.. where the top front of the door would meet the pillar post) Does any body have any suggestions on manufacurers that they are pleased with or has anyone had problems with aftermarket glass?

Thanks Dave
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM

It's interesting that you are having trouble with weatherstripping from Sof Seal. I know Steele Rubber is another manufacturer that sells weatherstripping kits.
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM

I used Steele Rubber on both of our '68's and were perfect fit, and no problems.
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM

After having an auto glass man come to align my windows, we found that the passenger side top of the glass actually had a dip in it toward the front. The glass man got it much better than it was but it still is not perfect. I'm going to try to shim down the convertible roof weather stripping and see what kind of gap is left after the new convertible top is installed. The glass was purchased from a repro company back in 2005 and when I called them, they told me that they now how a different vendor for supply them glass and that the only thing they could do is give me a replacement at cost. The top installer said that the windows will have to be final tweaked after the top is installed any way. As per the door stripping, I need to see if Soff Seal will send me a passenger side door strip to replace the one that's deteriorating.