1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 project

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2023, 07:31 AM
Alex

Thank you Charlie but I called a local dealer and found a bolt for it!
Old February 1st, 2023, 08:10 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 64Guy
Thank you Charlie but I called a local dealer and found a bolt for it!
Good, you should have it all back together soon.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 03:59 AM

Great job!! I enjoyed watching your progress.
Old February 9th, 2023, 07:50 AM
Alex

Need some insight

Hey everyone! So i got the brakes and sterring all set but im having trouble getting power in the car? The only conections that were disconected were the ones that were nessasary to take the body off the frame. Would a frame ground prevent power inside the car? Where are the body ground locations for a 64 olds?
Old February 9th, 2023, 05:29 PM
Phantom Phixer

The body is grounded by an extra wire attached to the negative battery cable .
It attaches to the radiator support. As seen in the upper left of this illustration.
Picture is for '63 but '64 is the same.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 9th, 2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old March 5th, 2023, 09:28 PM
Alex

As always, thank you charlie!
Old March 6th, 2023, 06:42 AM
Phantom Phixer

You're welcome.
How did those body mounts work out for you?
Old March 6th, 2023, 07:45 AM
Alex

Yep! The only ones that are not bolted in are the outer torque box ones, the inners are but I can't get the the outers. Is it imparitve those outside ones are bolted on even if all the others are attached? Also where Is the top nut for the rear shock tour body mounts? The bolts just spin lose so I'm guessing there is a nut in the body somewhere?
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Phantom Phixer

Yes, it is imperitive that all the body bolts be installed and properly tightened.
The nuts for the torque box (# 1 position) can be installed by reaching through the big oval hole in the torque box with your hand and arm.
You then have to hold the nut from turning with a boxend while someone else tightens the bolt from the topside.
In the # 8 position, there is a captive nut inside the body and it's covered by the floorpan.
To access the nut you will need to cut a hole in the floorpan and then rivit a patch over it later.

Old April 23rd, 2023, 02:45 PM
Alex

Progress Contiunes!

Hey everyone! Progress on the Olds has been good! Its getting a new gas tank this week from the help of a parts car!! Im trying to get as much done as possible before this years Wisconsin Iola car show!

A freind from collage and Oldsmobile Enthusiast, Paxton, has been helping me continue this project! His shop has ton of cool Olds stuff!!

The parts car I purchased is a 64 dynamic 4dr hardtop that is MANUAL! Pretty neat, was used as a hunting shack in south dakota many years ago!

Old April 23rd, 2023, 06:26 PM
Oldsdruid

You realize how rare a full-size stick Oldsmobile is after the early 1950s? Probably 2% or less of total production for any given year. It seemed to be more common in the midwest and northeast USA. Dealers in this area simply wouldn't order one.

Is the stick shift stuff all there? Steering column, pedals and linkage, flywheel, clutch and transmission?
Old April 23rd, 2023, 09:21 PM
Alex

Transmission is gone and shift linkage was taken prior to me picking it up. But the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, and sterring colum are still in place. Plus I believe a rare rear end gear.
Old April 25th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Alex

Could I get decent money for those manual parts?
Old April 25th, 2023, 04:52 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 64Guy
Could I get decent money for those manual parts?
They are defiantly worth keeping, however don't expect to get rich off of them.
Your first hurdle is to find someone who wants them.
It would be much more saleable if it were complete.
What do you have? Are the clutch and brake pedals there?
Is the clutch linkage complete?
Is the second crossmember still there?
You might try advertising the parts in the parts for sale section of this forum.
It doesn't cost anything.
Old April 29th, 2023, 12:33 PM
Alex

Talking Shes drives!

After almost 3 years, thousands of hours of work, about $4,000 dollars spent and many rusty bolts later, my Dynamic is finally moving under its own power! One of the most satisfying and relaxing moments iv had in years.
Over the next 2 months, we will be patching up some body work, putting on parts, and fixing random electrical gremlins. This car will be attending many car shows in the state of Wisconsin in the next few months, including the Midwest's largest show, The Iola Car Show. Please PM me if your going to any shows in the midwest area, id love to meet the men who helped make this dream a reality! Thank you all!

Here a video a friend recorded for me driving her!
Old April 29th, 2023, 02:06 PM

Kudos, kudos!!! Keep at it! And you're right...It sounds good!
Old April 30th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Oldsdruid

👏👍😎

Although at 1:00 "Christine" came to mind...😳
Old April 30th, 2023, 03:37 PM

Sounds goooood. White walls look great !!!! I waited until the very end to see a "burnout" !!!
Old June 19th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Alex

Talking The Saga Continues...

Work Continues as always with the 88. Things that have been fixed or modified since last post was:

-Finished painting and applying the decal to the Original Air cleaner
-A muffler was added
-Rear bumper from the parts car was added and replaced all rear bulbs
-High beam bulbs have been replaced and work great
-Misc. Carb Adjustments to fine tune the motor a little better
-Interior lights such as dash lighting and Warning lights now work
-Slim Jim was adjusted but may still need some adjusting
-Cotter pins were added to the front suspension
-Rear brakes have been fully rebuilt with all new hardware, wheels cylinders, and shoes

This week I attend my first Oldsmobile Homecoming In Lansing, Michigan. Me and the Lady had an absolute blast at the car show! We also visited the cemetery to see the man Himself, as well as driving past the Oldsmobile Office Building that still stands! I was quite surprised to not see as many 64 as I was expecting. Maybe 4, 2 98s and 2 JetStar 88s. Still pretty cool to see but no 64 Dynamics, Super 88s or Starfires. I got some very cool brochures and a 64 clock!
Here is a link to a video of her smooth running now: https://youtube.com/shorts/e9ai9XRaJF8?feature=share
ill keep logging on every few weeks for updates and help but until then, Thank you!

Last edited by 64Guy; June 19th, 2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old June 19th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Oldsdruid

👍 Mr Olds was smiling! And as you found out you were with your people.

My Aunt Rene used to say "we are Oldsmobile People". From her first in 1950 till her last one owned at her 2017 death, she drove the snot out of ELEVEN of them. She was a tiny lady but well aware of the Oldsmobile power under her foot.

Whose 66 Ninety Eight Cotington limo?😎

Proud of you as always, young'un.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 21st, 2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old September 9th, 2023, 12:13 PM
Alex

Talking Update!!

A little update on Betty-Sue!

After a ton of preparation and the help of fellow old's enthusiast Paxton "DailyOlds", the Oldsmobile made it to the Iola Car show without a problem! I had a great time meeting many people who shared the same love for these cars as do I. One man in particular was great to talk to. Jack Lucas was next door neighbor to the grandson of the original owner. He took many pictures and was so nice to meet someone who knew the Helm family.

Betty-sue is her official name, coming from both first names of my grandmothers.

She performed well but some problems will need to be ironed out before next year.
1: Paxton and I cobbled together an exhaust that exits near the passenger rear wheel, but because the car is so low, it bottoms out ALOT. If anyone knows of a company that would sell a header back exhaust for these car or have one to sell let me know, otherwise ill take it to an exhaust shop to have them make one.
2: The other very annoying thing I can not for the life of me figure out is the brake pedal issue. As talked about in this thread "Strange Brake Pedal Feeling", I replaced all rear brake items, new lines all the way around and freshen up the front brakes. Still the pedal with assist will have almost no feeling until near the bottom of the travel and the car slams to a stop. With no assist, the pedal feel much more controllable but has so much resistance, I always have to use 2 feet to stop. Pushrod length has been properly adjusted and the only thing I'm leaning on now is either air somewhere in the system or the booster is goofed up. Other then those 2 issues, the car performed beautifully

In late July, a few weeks after the show, Charlie Jones made a visit to see the Olds. Thank you Charlie for stopping by and giving me a ton of great knowledge about these cars. It is amazing to know others on the site are so welcoming to help me build this car.

Here are a few picture of her during the summer months, she has been put away until next spring. I cannot wait to see what instore for her next!!

Thank you:

Old September 9th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Oldsdruid

If you don't have one, you need a factory style 63-64 394 left hand dual exhaust manifold. With the 64's rear mounted steering box it's about the only thing that will work for dual exhaust without a lot of aggravation. No one makes headers for that application and thinking about custom fabbing a pair makes my head hurt.

Then get the exhaust shop to bend you a true dual system. Once you get past the engine bay there's plenty of room to work. Your choice of mufflers depending what sound you want.
Old September 10th, 2023, 06:12 PM
Alex

I have an exhaust that goes until the passenger rear wheels. so the header and about 3 feet of pipe is on.