1965 F85 Cutlass Convertible. How far to save?

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:47 AM

Smile 1965 F85 Cutlass Convertible. How far to save?

OK,

So on a whim I looked at Craigslist. 2 hours away find a 65 F85 convertible. Went and looked at and decided not to buy but offered a value a lot less than his asking. Three weeks later got a call back accepting the offer.

The car is a one owner black with white interior factory 4 speed 330 powered car. Owner said it had over 300k on odometer. The dad drove until his son was able to drive then it went to his son.

Got it home yesterday and started to dig through an see how deep I got myself into. It was a Chicago land car its whole life so salt roads have taken its toll along with a lot of learning body work that has not helped.

But had to do it the VIN ends in 442. SO it has to be saved right????? Will post picks as I get deeper in. Anybody in South east Wisconsin put floor pans in before? Will supply food and beer for help.

Tim
Old June 28th, 2020, 06:24 AM

Here are a few pictures.

Old June 28th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Olds does seat belt instructions

Old June 28th, 2020, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's a lot of rust - especially once you pull that bondo out of the rear quarters. There are few repro panels available for the 1965 cars, and it looks like you'll need quarters as well as fenderwells and trunk floor. I'm guessing you also need a full floorpan. That's not for the faint of heart (or wallet).
Old June 28th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Are you a good welder? As Joe said there is a lot of visible rot on that car, and probably a lot more once you start digging into it. Also before you start on the body inspect the frame as it could have some serious issues also.
Old June 28th, 2020, 10:19 AM

I don't know what you paid for it but I see some hard to find parts there. Worst case scenario pick up a solid roller and use this car for parts. Whatever you decide, have fun with the hobby!
Old June 28th, 2020, 10:43 AM

That will be a good looking car when its done!
Old June 28th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Also before you start on the body inspect the frame as it could have some serious issues also.
^^^THIS! I had a 1965 442 convertible while I was in college in MA. There was rot in the frame right behind the front wheels, where the frame kicks out to the rocker panels. Unfortunately the boxed frame retains debris and water that causes this.
Old June 28th, 2020, 01:43 PM

HMM, I had myself in a similar situation 8 years ago. I bought my 64 F-85 site unseen, I trusted the seller on Evil-Bay and things didn't turn out. I bought a "Rust Bucket" so long story short: I either junk the car take my losses or learn how to weld and source parts. Other factors I considered : time factor, tools and equipment availability to borrow!, the space, my skill level besides learning how to weld. To out source the labor costs, that would have killed this project in a minute. All factors contemplated, I took the project oand THIS Club helped a great deal. I think Joe mentioned above, a convertible has a boxed frame. If you do need to source another frame a 64-65 El Camino frame I believe will work too, it's boxed and the frame rails will mount the 65 bumpers and core support. These frames are not only boxed the transmission cross member are welded into place-more work if you decide on a different motor trans combo, or get a 64-65 frame and box it yourself ( not difficult after you learn how to weld). Double check this info it's been awhile. I boxed my frame. Doors, front fenders, core supports, bumper cores, hood and trunk parts are still out there. There are some Club members here that have these types of parts for the 64-65 A-body's-just need some time and bring a trailer! 8 years ago I used 64-65 GTO pans and braces. Olds maybe available now. Just a few thoughts for you to consider, Oh by the way it was fun! and not done with the interior yet either. My brother just flew in from Milwaukee for a few weeks. when it's turn to fly up North maybe Ill swing by. My family has a lot of Wisconsin/West Virginia history.

Old June 29th, 2020, 09:46 AM

update

Well Started in on a better look over. Joe yes you are correct this is going to be a money pit but I figured I would need floor, trunk, bottom half of wheel wells. and bottom of quarters. This was bought as much to learn as much to make a fun car in the end. Have done welding and panel repair in the past but it been a while.

Spent yesterday cleaning out trunk and looking over the bottom side. I think I can save the trunk floor and why did I never think to get to the upper shock bolts that way. Frame is a mess also. The fun continues.

Old June 30th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Oh ya frame is totally rusted through in the side rails. The previous owner had welded plate over the complete side rails.
Old June 30th, 2020, 06:45 PM

Think I can save the trunk floor Glad I already planned on floors. The main floor is actually better than I thought. And why have I never thought to tear opoen the floor to get to the upper shock bolts.

Last edited by TimMC; June 30th, 2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added comment
Old June 30th, 2020, 06:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

The problem here is that it will take $25K to make that into a $15K car.
Old July 1st, 2020, 06:28 AM

X2 yes you will have a lot more into the car than whats it's worth-BUT that's the case most of the time anyway. Hobby's can be expensive, some more than others. Ill never ever get out what I have spent on the F-85 either. So as for the floor and trunk my opinion replace all of it-Cut out the cancer. Your not going to save much $$$ doing it partially. Look around I think they got whole and floor trunk pans now. My F-85 is totally rust free, all metal no bondo.

Few more pictures-been there done that!
Old July 1st, 2020, 06:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll be the first to point out that I've NEVER taken my own advice on cost-effectiveness of a resto, but go into it with your eyes open. I HAVE had projects where the parts car became the primary builder, however...
Old August 7th, 2020, 07:04 PM

Well life has turned on me and she will be sitting for a while and I will be in part collection mode. The plan is still to save her but will take longer than anticipated.

Therobski your car looks great and your work looks top notch.
Old August 1st, 2023, 11:50 AM

Life continues to toss curves at me and this one is going to go to a new owner. If any one is looking for a project or a parts car lt me know. Haven't decided to part it or sell complete. Did collect a parts car with a better frame (but still bad once got into it.) so I have extra set of doors and other body parts and a second 330. will be putting it in the for sale area soon with pictures.