1979 Hurst Olds

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2023, 05:02 PM

1979 Hurst Olds

So bought this in Sarasota, Florida over July 4th weekend, hadnt been on the road in over ten years,
by the amount of surface rust in hidden places Id say it went under in Hurricane Ian, Price was okay body is actually not as rusty
as ones I have come across for more money. Blew out the radiator about 30 minutes after hitting the road, then had to replace plugs and wires next day.
That got my home at least though with no ac and radio it was a very long 1200 miles.
I have replaced
1. radiotor
2.spark plugs and wires
3 .carb
4. hoses
5.My good friend and Caterpillar mechanic Doug vacuumed the AC and filled it up with fresh freon,cold air is important. :-)
6.replaced the radio,, tunes are also important
7. new shocks all the way around
8. new wheels and tires
9.new speakers
10.new springs though I have only gotten to the rears,,fronts are waiting till I have more days off.
11.new fan clutch
12.fixed turn signals
13.replaced headlights
14. Got hazards working
15. Have gone thru two cans of contact cleaner to get a lot of the fuse box to work.
have new carpet to put in but need more days off to do that,,
thats gonna be a project.need to remove entire interior and the seat bolts are extra rusty,been soaking them in PB blaster everyday to soften them up.
Ill keep you updated as I do stuff to it.
Took these today after I was done for the day,,working in 100+ deg weather takes it out of you and I go back to work tomorrow.

Old July 15th, 2023, 05:22 PM
Banned

Good for you giving that car the love that you are. Huge thumbs up. Great to see you enjoying it. Keep us updated. Oldsmobile On 👍

I am so grateful to live in Colorado and not know coastal rust. I lived in Northern California for a few. To see cars rust from the inside out was something that I never knew. I went to buy a 65 GTO. Maroon car. Black interior. Buckets. Standard automatic shifter. I wanted it bad. Started looking at it. There was ZERO metal in the package tray area. Pulled the bottom of the back seat. The floors were non existent. Same for the panel behind the rear seat.
Old July 16th, 2023, 04:31 AM

Looking good! If you decide you want one of these, start your quest for finding a stand up hood ornament as soon as you can. These are hard to find (the black ones). I've seen them go for as much as $400 on e-bay lately when they do come up for sale. The good news is the black ones are not as prone to fading as the red ones are (which are standard on the 79 Calais which the JH/O was built out of).

Did you get cargo coil springs for the rears? I get these as although they may cause the read end to raise up a bit, over time they settle in and the rise is less noticeable. If done this with my 79 Calais and my 79 H/O.
Old July 17th, 2023, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Looking good! If you decide you want one of these, start your quest for finding a stand up hood ornament as soon as you can. These are hard to find (the black ones). I've seen them go for as much as $400 on e-bay lately when they do come up for sale. The good news is the black ones are not as prone to fading as the red ones are (which are standard on the 79 Calais which the JH/O was built out of).

Did you get cargo coil springs for the rears? I get these as although they may cause the read end to raise up a bit, over time they settle in and the rise is less noticeable. If done this with my 79 Calais and my 79 H/O.
No I got BMR sport springs,they drop the car 1.5" I just have not done the front yet.
The rer tires are much taller than the front so once I get the front springs in it will the rear will sit higher than the front.
I have a black hood ornament somehwere from a 79 H/O I parted out for spares last time I had a 79 H/O before i moved to Texas 20 years ago..
I may not put it on though,,Im thinking of doing the ram air hood and if I do Ill get rid of the chrome strip on header panel and hood.
Old July 17th, 2023, 04:37 AM

Pretty cool Oldsmobile.
Old July 17th, 2023, 04:38 AM

BlueCalais79
This was my previous 79, this was right before I moved from Florida as i delivered it to its new owner.
The body and mechanical was much nicer than one I have now but floor pans and firewall had a ton of rust
which my current one does not,,the other one I parted out came from Daytona beach and it was one big ball of rust and past saving.
This one stock ran 15.9 at Moroso dragstrip,after I replaced the 2.76 gears with 3.73s it ran 14.9 ,
not terrible for a stock 3600lb car with only 170hp. The engine in the new one is way more tired so no racing it until
I freshen it up.