350 build

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM

350 build

OK, I finally got all my parts and heads back from the shop. I have no clue as I have never done this before. Reading the service manual it states to coat the head gaskets with sealer.
I do not know what type of sealer
I have all kinds of RVT, red, black, blue, but I would not think this is what I should be using.
Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Dave
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Almost all head gaskets today do not use sealants.however you should see if there is any info in with your gasket set.
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by roscoep41
Almost all head gaskets today do not use sealants.however you should see if there is any info in with your gasket set.
X2. Follow the instructions that came with the gaskets. I would stick to the CSM for torque specs and sequence. Keep in mind, the CSM manual assumes you are using factory replacement parts.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I have the Fel-Pro FS-8171PT-4 gasket set.
it says....
Fiber Faced Gaskets: install dry
Metal Faced Gaskets: Requires a thin even coat of sealer applied to the metal side of gasket....
I would say it is the Fiber Faced??
Any ideas?
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by 74 Omega
Thanks for the info, I have the Fel-Pro FS-8171PT-4 gasket set.
it says....
Fiber Faced Gaskets: install dry
Metal Faced Gaskets: Requires a thin even coat of sealer applied to the metal side of gasket....
I would say it is the Fiber Faced??
Any ideas?
I'm going to guess it's fiber. If it was metal, you would be sure. Can you take a picture and post it?
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM

call

Looking good Dave.

Any questions don't hesitate to call me.

Steve
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:11 AM
car guy

A trick my dad taught me when I was a kid was spray paint all forms of head gaskets with a very light coat of silver paint. I have done this with every motor I have built and never had a head gasket leak. Knock on wood
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
A trick my dad taught me when I was a kid was spray paint all forms of head gaskets with a very light coat of silver paint. I have done this with every motor I have built and never had a head gasket leak. Knock on wood
Richard, what type of paint? Laquer, enamel, oil based? And why silver, just 'cause dad said so, or is it something special about the color?
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by mike's88
Richard, what type of paint? Laquer, enamel, oil based? And why silver, just 'cause dad said so, or is it something special about the color?
He always used plain Krylon but I have used others just because I had it. The trick is a very light but even coat. Not sure why silver but he was specific about silver. I guess he is not the only one because I was at a race engine builders shop about 5 years ago and watched him pull out some silver paint before putting heads on a 700hp BBC.
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM

OK, so I am learning as I go, and now I have learned the hard way. After waiting to assemble the engine, looking all through the sites, gathering info and tips for assembly, I started. Things were going great, until today.

I stripped the block down without removing the crank and pistons; I assumed that it was all ok because someone installed .030 over TRW pistons, thinking things would be ok in the lower end…wrong.
We went to replace the rear main, there was no rear main in the block… Nothing in there WTF?
Now this was a running engine when I bought it, I drove the car into the garage before pulling the motor.
The crank surfaces are very rough and scored. Now I have taken it all back apart and will be taking the entire block and crank back to the machine shop $$...to turn the crank etc…is there anything I should do this time while it is there?

Lesson learned, not like it is likely I will ever rebuild another motor, but if I do, I will not assume someone did it right, or take shortcuts again.

On a good note, my buddy who came over to help said everything I did was done well, assembly wise that is.

Dave