70 cutlass supreme vert drivetrain and other projects

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM

70 cutlass supreme vert drivetrain and other projects

Hello everyone, I am just starting a pretty big project on my convertible. I am still a newbie to most things so I wanted to start a thread to ask for advice and hopefully post some pics that may be able to help out others in the future. My original engine has been at the builder since the end of February, he has it done and I will be meeting him on thursday to have the engine broken in and dyno'd. I will post some pictures of the engine and results of the dyno. The engine will be the last thing to go back in the car, in the meantime here is a list of everything else I will be doing.

th350 tranny being removed and brought in to be gone through and freshened up. Will also be changing to 2400 stall converter
driveshaft removed to be cleaned up and painted
2.56 open rear end removed and replaced with 3.42 posi rear end from 69 442
replace rear control arm bushings and rear springs
replace fuel sending unit
replace speedo cable
replace heater core
clean up and paint brake booster and master cyclinder
sandblast and paint alternator and a/c brackets
install windshield wash fluid bin and see if wash fluid pump motor works
remove rear bumper and replace with 442 cut out bumper
install new 2.5" x-pipe dual exhaust system.

I am sure I have forgotten something but that is the meat of my project. I found a nice thread from Allan on the heater core replacement. If anyone has any advice or can point me towards any good threads on any of the other things please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Since your under there, check your rubber fuel lines at the gas tank. Also the flexible brake line to the rear end.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Since your under there, check your rubber fuel lines at the gas tank. Also the flexible brake line to the rear end.
Thank you, this is exactly the kind of tips I am looking for.
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Update on project

I wanted to update on my project and post some pictures. I got my engine back after getting to witness the Dyno on Thursday. I pulled the tranny this week and brought that in to have it gone through. Today I pulled the rear axle control arms and brake booster. I am bring the control arms and other misc. brackets to work to sandblast and paint. I started the process of replacing the heater core and while under the dash noticed that the damper door does not move while moving the temp slide. It appears everything is hooked up so I was wondering if I still need tomremove the entire heater box to see what the problem is? Any help would be appreciated

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to attach more than 1 pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (45.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Finn5033; April 27th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old April 27th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Administrator

And the Dyno results are....? Yes, your going to have to dig into the heater box and see whats going on.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:07 AM

I will be picking up my build and Dyno sheets today, I'll post numbers later today
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:00 PM

For anyone interested I thought I would post some info on my engine build and Dyno results.

The engine was a stock 1970 350 with a 4- barrel.
Cylinders were honed did not need a bore
Speed pro stock replacement pistons
Head work to upgrade valves 2.07 intake and 1.625 exhaust
Elgin grind cam and lifter kit .472/.496
Stock rockers
Crankshaft ground 10/10
Edelbrock rpm intake

Not sure what exactly to post for the Dyno numbers but max torque was 375 around 4000 rpm. Max horsepower was 318 around 5000 rpm. I will be running the engine with a 750 Holley carb full length headers and 2.5" x pipe exhaust with turbo mufflers. Th350 tranny with shift kit and 3.42 posi rear end from a 69 442
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (66.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Finn5033; April 29th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:12 PM

This weekend I was able to drop the gas tank and replace the sending unit, fuel guage now works. I also pulled the heater box, to my dismay the problem with my heat appeared to be the vacuum line to the driver side of the heater box was disconnected everything else looked really clean, was in great shape and appeared to be functioning properly. So I spent about 3 hours doing something that didn't need to be done, but as long as it was out I replaced the heatercore anyways. I will save the original as it doesn't appear there is anything wrong with it. It doesn't leak and isn't plugged up.

Nobody commented on my engine build or dyno. What do you guys think of it? I was a little disapointed in the numbers from the dyno. What should I expect performance wise with a 3.42 rear end and freshly rebuilt TH350 tranny? Will it spin the tires and go pretty good?