how to install camshafts

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM

how to install camshafts

whats up everybody i have a 1970 oldsmobile cutlass with a 350 rocket,2 barrell carb with dual exhaust and it runs and sounds good BUT what i would like to know is what kind of cam can i put in my motor to give it that race car lope?my cousin has the same car with a 307 and he installed one in his motor and the idle that he has makes it sound like its about to cut off but the funny thing is he didnt change the carb nor did he change his exhaust or his torque converter so my question is what cam can i use to get the same results because he is refusing to tell me . every book i look in they only have cams for chevy motors im not trying to race or anything i just like the sound and the attention you get when people here youre car idling like its about fly down a 1/4 mile track so does anyone have any ideas?
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

to get that sound you need more duration and valve lift etc. you need more compression . you can stick a big lopey cam in you car but it wont run good probably worse than stock. this is a clip of my car with the comp cams 280 h cam but it needs compression, gears, headers etc. to really work well.
the sound is not the best on the vid but might be my computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3Zx...4&feature=plcp

Last edited by coppercutlass; June 24th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Comp Cams "thumper" series were designed to give the idle you want. the smallest one would work for your engine combination. Here it is for Chevy:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ry_Code=THMSBC

Comp doesn't offer them on the shelf for Olds but they can grind you one for similar cost. Other cam series may give better power per incremental rough idle, but the rest of your combination is not set up for high rpm, etc.
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM

coppercutlass man your car sounds good but see im pretty sure you have an aluminum intake edlebrock carb maybe header and you probably changed your torque converter see im trying to change all that i just want that sound you have that real rough idle i already have flowmasters on the car whatb kind of cam do you have and where can i get 1 and whats the duration and the lift on it what should i be looking for to get that kind of an idle oh and your running pretty damn hard to did you beat that guy in the race i couldnt tell when you got on the big end of the track
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM

most of those racing vids where with my old set up before this last one that is back out due to hurt internals. if it was against that black stnag he had me by 3 tenths but i had him all the way to the 8th mile that engine was all grunt and no top end. go with a thumper that would work much better than what i got.
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM

a thumper ok but can you tell me where you ordered it from and be honest with me now what all did you have to change because im really just looking for the idle i want to keep my 2 barrell carb and i dont want to have to pull my trans out to change the torqure converter what whats the biggest i can go without changing anything and still get that sound you have? oh yeah and if i were you i would race that guy again in the stang i bet the next time you will whoop him but let me know what kind to get because im ready to get now.
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:06 AM

thats something you will have to see in the cam catalog. if you go to comp cams website you can find out what it needs to work . If it needs a tq. converter, if it works good with manifolds etc. it will specify that. just look for oldsmobile cam shafts and the thumper series and if you call them they will probably explain better then me. I have never ran a thumoer cam but i have had friends run em in their chevy's
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:02 PM

In the Comp catalog for small block Olds, they say the small thumper, 279TH7, works with stock converter but you can add converter and stiffer gears. The Olds thumpers are now catalog items, part number 42-600-5 is what you need. Get new lifters too. Use moly paste lube, or at a minimum the Comp lube that comes with it. Add Comp 159 oil additive for break in at 2000 rpm for 30 minutes, and then use oil with lots of zinc like diesel 15-40 oil.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-42-600-5/
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:05 PM

I bought a Thumper from Summit for my 455. However, I can't tell you how well it works and sounds yet since the engine is not yet complete. There are 3 levels--Thumper, ***** Thumper (the one I got) and Big ***** Thumper. My pistons are 10:1.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Go to the website and you can click on a video of a 350 (chubby) engine on the dyno, idling with the three sizes of thumper cams.
http://www.thumprcams.com/
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM

i went to a website and seen three diffrent cams the big muthha thumper sounds more like what i want so all i have to do is go to the thumper cams website and they should have one for my engine?
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Summit should have all of them. You will hate the big one unless you do some more things like 4 barrel (a stock intake is fine), maybe headers, definitely a converter. If you want to play you have to pay.
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM

An Erson Hi Flow AH will give you better power than the Thump'r, and a great tone as well.

Thump'r's are geared toward noise first, then performance. If done right you can get both.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM

see thats what im trying to get across to everybody im not trying to play(race) the car is beautiful i even have some thrush welded mufflers and it sounds good BUT it sounds like every other car i here with dual exhaust, i just want the choppy sound like the motor the guys built at pro-formance if you go to there website they have a rebuilt motor that sounds like a stroker motor but i know they have added some other parts but like i said all i want is a cam that will work with my factory set up and give me that thumpr sound i talked with a tech from comp cams and he said i wouldnt be able to install a choppy cam with stock springs. now if thats all i will have to change thats cool there is a magnum hydrauliccam 280-280 lift .490-.490 is that to much for my factory set up?
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
...then use oil with lots of zinc like diesel 15-40 oil.
Rotella doesn't have a lot of zinc in it anymore. I would run Valvoline VR1 with no additive. It has the highest zinc content next to specialty oils like Joe Gibbs Racing oil.

I dyno'd on VR1 20W50 fossil oil and then first oil change was to VR1 Synthetic 20W50.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Another source for oldsmobile camshafts is Engle racing at englecams.com just to give you an option to Comp.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Spyke the issue is you might have a car that sounds good but will run bad. When you run a camshaft that big with longer durations you bleed cyl. Pressure which is why you need more compression . If you want that 280h I just pulled mine out of my engine. Had good wear pattern roughly under 4k miles on it. 50 bucks. I'm not advocating this cam in a stock set up but if you really want it for 50 bucks you might find out what we are talking about. I mean no offense but with a cam like that 280h you need gears,headers, a stall converter, It might sound good but driveability might also get killed.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Hey fakser, have you ever been to Mondello's shop?
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM

My engine is out of the car right now, I'll sell you mine so I can get a bigger one. It has less than 1000 miles on it I mean, if you just want it to sound a certain way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwNXBWl1jM
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:42 PM

when you say it will run bad explain that to me a lil more i will still be able to drive the car right and put it on the highway and get up to at least 70mph. right? well what will be the out come if i get that cam from you what are my results then? i dont mean to sound dumb i just want it sound like it will kick some *** and if you have a cam that you will sell me and i can install it with my factory set up then i will buy it, if dont have one and know of one that i can purchase please tell me what the specs. are on it so i can get it. there is another guy on this thread that says he has one but didnt reveal the specs. on it
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM

I was kidding, I would sell mine but I couldn't sell it to you in good conscious. You would have to change way to much to run it. I just posted the video to make you drool lol!

.557 / .574 lift, 244 / 252 @ .050" 110 lope sep. Mechanical flat tappet.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM

Mine would work but. It might lunge in drive with a stock converter. Driveability will be lost for sure. Street manners mainly .it might work but not too good to be honest.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM

what do you mean it may lunge in drive and driveability what do you mean put what your saying in laimest terms will i or wont i be able to drive my car again
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:29 PM

coppercutlass what size is your cam and will or wont it work with my set up and how much do you want for it?
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM

The 280h is the 490 lift 230 duration cam. What I mean by lunging is these cams require a higher than stock idle in my case 850 rpm or so. At that rpm with a stock converter it would wanna start to go because a stock converter engages sooner. If you want it I got it but imho. Hold off on a cam build something mild that instead of noise will make power.
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:42 PM

so correct me if im wrong what your saying is the cam will work? BUT when i put the car in drive it will start to pull off quicker or are you saying that the cam will start to go bad sooner than it should because of the stock converter? i didnt understand what you were saying with the (imho) im really not looking for the power right now because i have a chevy motor that im building for power so whats the worst that can happened if get the cam from you?
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:17 AM

Oh no he didn't...a chubby motor for "power"?

You know if you put a cam like that in your car the lope is gonna make every lobcock in your area want to race you and you will lose to all of them because you won't have any power to back it up. Stick with the Olds motor, change the intake, cam, and carburetor, put headers on it and it'll more than satisfy you.
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know why you-all are humoring this guy. What he's doing os tantamount to trolling.
He's explicitly asking how to have a car that's all show and no go, and now says he's planning to put a you-know-what engine in the car.

I'd let him figure it out for himself. Do you really want to help someone to create a crappy-running Oldsmobile, just so he can say, "I couldn't get it to run right, so I had to put a Ch__y engine in it"?

- Eric
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:29 AM

"motors im not trying to race or anything i just like the sound and the attention you get when people here youre car idling like its about fly down a 1/4 mile track so does anyone have any ideas?"

Turn your idle mixture screws in all the way.
It'll have a real rough idle, like it's got a 7/8-race cam. Maybe even 15/16-race.
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM

You can build a chevy but it won't be as fast. The olds by design will put more tq. Down than the chevy .The cam won't start to go bad. Key point is you can't add parts with out the correct parts to go with it ask anyone. What fun is it if you get beat by a kid in a civic.
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
Turn your idle mixture screws in all the way.
It'll have a real rough idle, like it's got a 7/8-race cam. Maybe even 15/16-race.
Or pull a spark plug wire.

If you pull two, it'll sound really rad.

Experiment with which plug wires to get just the right sound.

- Eric
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM

for the record the chevy motor is not going in the cutlass so nobody has to humor me i build chevy motors never built an olds motor and theres nothing crappy about my olds it a 1970 with only 53,grand original miles on the dash i bought this car from an old lady who only drove the car to church and her church was a 1/4 mile away from here house the last tag bought for this car was in 1982 and and all it needed was breaks and a gas cap. i just want to make it sound like it will kick some *** if it doesnt so be it because i have an el camino that runs 8s in the 1/4 so humor that i have never dealt with oldsmobile im just trying to get a lil advice about my olds motor i feel like if you aint got nothing possitive to say then dont comment at all because there are people here trying to learn and just swapping advice not trying to tear down others ideas. coppercutlass,octania hey i appreciate the advice and the suggestions please keep them coming i did decide to get an after market intake for the olds motor and looking into getting a 650 holley and some headders so again thanks for the ideas when i learn how i will post some pics of the car.
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Willing suspension of disbelief is becoming harder.

- Eric
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Willing suspension of disbelief is becoming harder.

- Eric
Becoming harder? How 'bout impossible...
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM

And we resurrected a dead thread because? Did we need to justify this thread with anymore responses? lol!
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
And we resurrected a dead thread because? Did we need to justify this thread with anymore responses? lol!
We are new and we did not notice the post dates,now whats your excuse?
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Top left corner of every post...now you know And if you read through the whole thread you will see that it was a troll trying to **** people off...thus the reason for letting it die.