Newbie in Vegas

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2023, 09:26 PM
Past owned:

Guys,
Here is a good example of what my 442 will look like in the same Sapphire Blue/black top as the car shown. I'm going to use the standard wheels/poverty caps in 15X8. I really dig the 'sleeper' or COPO look.

Old June 22nd, 2023, 02:36 PM

I dig that look! Nice color combo.
Old July 9th, 2023, 08:00 AM
Past owned:

Guys,
Updates and new pictures coming soon...
Old July 9th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Past owned:

Sanding the roof where the vinyl top used to be. Minimal surface rust, nothing serious.

Last edited by crossboss; July 9th, 2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old July 9th, 2023, 10:09 AM
Past owned:

After spraying etching primer, the black epoxy was applied. Kinda looks like a vinyl top! lol

Old July 9th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Banned

A

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 28th, 2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old July 9th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by crossboss
Guys,
Here is the block code.
It's a 400ci G block as used in 68-69 442 and Vista Cruiser, so odds are good the car has its original engine if not complete original drivetrain. It's a long stroke small bore engine, great for torque but not so much for high revving.

Look on the heads and you should see a C cast into them near #1 (front left) and #8 (rear right) spark plugs. These are good heads, as good "as cast" as Olds offered without getting into the exotic D and F castings.

A "regular" 442 can be more fun than a W-car, simply because W30 are worth stupid money. That makes people hesitant to let the cars romp as intended for fear of damaging or otherwise devaluing them.

Enjoy your new toy. There are knowledgeable 68 people here.
Old July 9th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Banned

A

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 28th, 2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old July 9th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Past owned:

Thanks guys. Yes, its an Edelbrock performer intake.
Old July 9th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Past owned:

Yes, it has the 'C' heads as seen here. I am slowly removing the tacky aftermarket nuts/bolts/dip stick tubes, etc. for OEM stuff. The Edelbrock will stay on for now.
Old July 17th, 2023, 08:28 AM
Past owned:

Guys,
Just a quick update: Ordering parts, and hope to receive the goodies soon. I will post pics soon.
Old July 24th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Past owned:

Started to clean and detail the engine while the other parts are on order...

Old July 29th, 2023, 08:34 AM
Past owned:

Guys,
Scored a nice set of NOS Olds hubcaps that I intend to use on the 442. Here is a pic of one that I set on a Chevy Rally Wheel (no, I am not gonna use those wheels on the Olds!)

Old August 2nd, 2023, 04:21 PM
Past owned:

Removed the Chinese made headers for the OEM manifolds. The 'correct' cast iron manifolds are on the way....
Old August 6th, 2023, 08:17 PM

I just joined tonight and yours is one of the first posts I’ve read. I hate to hear your deal on the 72 went south as I have one myself and have a soft spot for them. However, as others have already said, the 68 is an awesome car! If you happen to check out my “newbie” post you’ll see the guy that built my engine had a 68 Hurst Olds that I drooled over. Beautiful car you are getting and best of luck with the restoration work!
Old August 6th, 2023, 09:13 PM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by 72442TwiceOwned
I just joined tonight and yours is one of the first posts I’ve read. I hate to hear your deal on the 72 went south as I have one myself and have a soft spot for them. However, as others have already said, the 68 is an awesome car! If you happen to check out my “newbie” post you’ll see the guy that built my engine had a 68 Hurst Olds that I drooled over. Beautiful car you are getting and best of luck with the restoration work!

Thank you for your kind words! I will check your thread also.
Old August 8th, 2023, 07:13 PM

Guys,
Here is a good example of what my 442 will look like in the same Sapphire Blue/black top as the car shown. I'm going to use the standard wheels/poverty caps in 15X8. I really dig the 'sleeper' or COPO look.
I think this color combination is slick. I did want to mention one thing and I am by no means knocking this particular thing in this car but thought you might at least like to know. As I recall, the position of the numbers on the fenders can tell you whether or not the car originally had the vertical stripe. Apparently, many people put vertical stripes on 68’s and they are not in the correct place. This is something that does speak to correctness and a lot of people who know the difference don’t care for it. I’ve found two pics below online of two different 68s. The first one has the stripe in the same place as the blue car in the pic you posted. The second car has the stripe in what I believe is the correct position. Notice that the correct stripe (second pic) has the 442 emblem further back and slightly lower than the emblem placement in the first pic.

I doubt you want to change the position of the emblem and I personally think the stripe looks fine on the blue car. It’s just something I’d learned about a few years ago and thought you might want to know about this nuance.

I think there is a thread or two about this and some of the guys on the site may have the correct template.

Last edited by 72442TwiceOwned; August 8th, 2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Add detail
Old August 8th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Past owned:

Yes, and thanks. I am aware of the placement on the emblem for the correct stripe placement. I will definitely measure and make sure its in the correct location for any potential paint stripes. IF it is not in the proper area, I will not put the stripes on the car. My goal is to keep what my car came with as close to correct....within reason of course! Btw, I'm enjoying your thread as well!
Old August 8th, 2023, 07:35 PM

Yes, and thanks. I am aware of the placement on the emblem for the correct stripe placement. I will definitely measure and make sure its in the correct location for any potential paint stripes. IF it is not in the proper area, I will not put the stripes on the car. My goal is to keep what my car came with as close to correct....within reason of course! Btw, I'm enjoying your thread as well!
Good deal! I also enjoyed yours about the hood pin topic!
Old August 14th, 2023, 01:35 PM
Past owned:

Cleaned, and coated the exhaust manifolds with high heat cast iron grey. After some minor detailing on the engine & compartment, they will go on. Closer to running!
Old August 14th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Cleaned, and coated the exhaust manifolds with high heat cast iron grey. After some minor detailing on the engine & compartment, they will go on. Closer to running!
Looking good! What brand of paint did you use? I have a set I need to paint that will replace the headers on my car.
Old August 14th, 2023, 03:44 PM

I didn't realize that the 1968 could use two "W" stamped exhaust manifolds. Looks like there might have been some variety on which manifolds were used based on when the car was built.
Old August 14th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Past owned:

Thanks guys. I used VHT 'Super High Heat'.
Old August 15th, 2023, 10:04 AM
Past owned:

Cleaned up the firewall/frame rails, and engine .
Old August 15th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Past owned:

Set the right side exhaust manifold on engine.
Old August 15th, 2023, 04:28 PM

That looking really good!
Old August 15th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Past owned:

John,
Appreciate the support!
Old August 15th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Past owned:

While I was underneath the car this morning doing some detailing, I removed the trans cover. It appears to have a nice hi-performance stall 10 inch (or smaller) convertor. This, with the 4.33 rear gears and the bolt on ladder bars, someone intended to go racing...
Old August 15th, 2023, 07:21 PM

John,
Appreciate the support!
Man, I just love seeing what everyone is doing. Can you do mine next? I’ll even bring it to you!
Old August 15th, 2023, 09:05 PM
Past owned:

Man, I just love seeing what everyone is doing. Can you do mine next? I’ll even bring it to you!

Get in line! lol
Seriously, between the Olds and Mustang projects, I'm gonna be busy for a while...
Old August 18th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Past owned:

Guys,
Looking for opinions on a color. The above picture is a '69 in Viking Blue. What I'm asking: should I deviate a bit and spray my '68 in this color OR keep it original Sapphire Blue?
Old August 18th, 2023, 11:38 AM

Guys,
Looking for opinions on a color. The above picture is a '69 in Viking Blue. What I'm asking: should I deviate a bit and spray my '68 in this color OR keep it original Sapphire Blue?
I like Viking Blue - a friend of mine had a 72 that color in high school. But, I think the picture you posted earlier in this thread (copied to below) is a real eye catcher and not something you see much of. I think the lighter color will always look clean and is a sharp contrast against the black, especially if you go decide to do a black stripe. I can’t remember if it was on a post on this site or not, but there was a pic of one in the lighter color with a red stripe that looked incredible! Just my thoughts and totally up to you, though. Can’t go wrong either way.

Old August 18th, 2023, 11:44 AM

Not to muddy the waters on a color change, but this is also a good looking color that I’ve seen on 69s.
Old August 18th, 2023, 04:19 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

If you were selling your '68 and I was in the market to buy it, the car in paint other than original would be a deal breaker for me. To some it does not matter. You have stated you desire to keep the car as close to original as possible. My advice is to not do something that could possibly trip up the sale down the road, if and when that may come.

The original paint, dark top, with poverty caps would be an awesome combination, in my opinion. Your car is a winner whatever you choose to pursue, good luck and Happy Motoring!
Old August 20th, 2023, 09:11 AM
Past owned:

Guys,
Appreciate the opinions on the colors/paint choices. I understand keeping the original color is best for any potential re-sale. However, I don't plan on selling anytime soon. That said, going to a bit of 'brighter' or more vibrant color (Viking or Astro Blue) could be in the cards. Still just kicking around the thought. As mentioned, I do want to keep the car close to original...within reason. I don't mind a few changes for the better so to speak.
Old August 20th, 2023, 11:34 AM

I think the original or the other color (Astro Blue?) look better than the Viking. Less "look at me" both are subtle classy colors. These can be tough decisions, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Great job cleaning up the engine compartment and painting the roof. I personally like vinyl tops when the colors are correct.

Steve
Old August 23rd, 2023, 07:46 PM
Past owned:

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
I think the original or the other color (Astro Blue?) look better than the Viking. Less "look at me" both are subtle classy colors. These can be tough decisions, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Great job cleaning up the engine compartment and painting the roof. I personally like vinyl tops when the colors are correct.

Steve

Thank you, and I agree. Although Viking Blue is a very striking "Look at me!" color, it will most likely not be for my car. However, Astro Blue has that pizzaz I am looking for, while not overbearing. I do also like the idea of the fender stripe in red. That would be a heck of a color combo!
Old August 23rd, 2023, 08:27 PM

Thank you, and I agree. Although Viking Blue is a very striking "Look at me!" color, it will most likely not be for my car. However, Astro Blue has that pizzaz I am looking for, while not overbearing. I do also like the idea of the fender stripe in red. That would be a heck of a color combo!
Scott, to see that car with the read stripe google “ 1968 442 w-30 19000 miles” and you’ll find it. It’s in a Hemming’s article. IIt’s unrestored and really sharp. Looking forward to hearing what color you go with.

Last edited by 72442TwiceOwned; August 23rd, 2023 at 08:37 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 08:40 PM
Past owned:

Scott, to see that car with the read stripe google “ 1968 442 w-30 19000 miles” and you’ll find it. It’s in a Hemming’s article. IIt’s unrestored and really sharp. Looking forward to hearing what color you go with.

Thanks John for that link. The red stripe looks killer, I'm in...!
Old August 23rd, 2023, 08:55 PM
Past owned:

Gotta agree that red stripe is killer! The blue is a bit blah...

Quick Reply: Newbie in Vegas