Tough choices

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Question Tough choices

Hello!
My name is Dalton and I am 15 years old, I own 2 Starfire Convertibles that I have been restoring with my father. Recently my parents got divorced and my dad went out chasing another woman and abandoned me with my projects.
His plan was to restore two convertibles at I owned and have a father son cruiser set.
Now I have decided that the easiest and cheapest way to do my projects is to combine both convertibles using the best parts from both and then sell what I have left. I have a driving convertible with brand new running gear but the car has a very rusted body. The oer convertible has original running gear from 3 different vehicles all thrown together to make it work, and has a beautiful body with no rust.
I have decided that I would like to strip the beautiful body convertible and clean it the best to my ability, then put all the good parts and running gear from the other convertible onto it and sell what I have left and just keep the one convertible which will be finished other then paint at that point.
I think this would be the best choice because I can just swap parts instead of trying to rebuild and finish everything twice at the same time and have an empty wallet 24/7.
I sell all my extra auto parts on eBay and over the phone. I have a large collection that I have inherited and gotten off of parts cars.
Just wanted to put this plan out there and get others opinions.
Right now I am looking for someone local who has a shop and equipment who can help me with the work since i am solo on this project right now. Since I cannot put all my tools in a house that is up for sale or have to many disassembled cars the in case I need to move them. Who can
Please reply and tell me what you would do or any ideas to make things less expensive or easier.
Thank you!
Dalton
1963 Oldsmobile Starfire Cnv x2
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Justin

If It were me .you have a okay plan I would wait to do any tear down tell you are more stable or possibly look into a storage for them .I wouldnt rush into selling any parts these old cars are getting harder and harder to locate parts with each passing year .I would make the better body my project and keep the other intell I was done ( if the end ever really happens lol ) then I would box up all extra parts as just in case . Option two if they both drive use one to build and drive the other . I cant tell you how often I want to stop driving mine and tear into it ,but this hobby does test and build are patients to the fullest
Well thats my .02cents
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dalton,
Sorry to hear what happened. Having a family torn apart like that is a pretty traumatic thing. I know - been through that too but when I was a bit younger than you. Any chance your dad may re-connect with you to still do the projects or are you shutting him out of your life now? 15 is a pretty impressionable age, but I'd be inclined to suggest you wait this one out a bit.

I agree with oldstata that right now may not be the best time to pursue the projects especially since you say your wallet is empty pretty much 24/7.

Minor point here, but do you actually own the verts? Usually you have to be 16 before you can legally buy a car right?
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:36 PM

Dalton, I'm sorry your in this situation. I agree with Justin, if you can stash some of it away without spending a ton of money on storage you may have a better chance at restoring your dream car down the road. I've seldom wished I'd sold a car sooner but would like to turn the clock back and have some of those that I did sell back again

I'm down in Medford and I know there's several Olds guys between Eugene and Portland. I only know of one Olds person in Bend, but due to a difficult transaction years ago he and I don't think much of each other. I don't know if you'll find anybody closer than the Willamette Valley who's into these cars.

John
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Dalton, sorry to hear about your folks! These things happen as people get older it seems their lives go off in different conflicting directions. Hang in there, because sometimes they actually get back on track, don't ask me how I know!

As far as your plan, as long as there is no need for a change in address, then you have a lot of options. Since you have many parts, and 2 cars, I see nothing wrong with your plan of combining 2 cars to make 1 nice one. I also agree with your selling some stuff to fund your project either.

I would do what ever is necessary to accomplish your goal!

Good luck and keep us posted of your project.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Thank you all for the replies!
I always a duplicate of every part in my shed in case of getting another project or a wreck. Some parts I have 3-4 of I am trying to make some extra cash off of. I have an auto rotisserie that I had built about 2 years ago that I am planning on putting the solid body on to soda blast it and get it all ready for the engine. I am planning on selling mostly everything other then the duplicate parts and what I need for this build because I don't have the space to store the extra parts. I am planning on taking everything off of the brown convertible and either sell or scrap the convertible because it is 50% rust, 25% body filler and the rest damaged metal. I will keep the frame because those are very hard to come by.
Once the convertible is all ready and the frame has been finished I will put the engine and running gear in, then build the rest of the car around the engine.
Thank you
Dalton
I will keep you all updated as things settle out!
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Justin

Well it really sounds like you and your dad have put a lot of thought and planning into these cars !!

I am sure that what ever you chose to do will be the right choice .

Looking forward to the build !!!
Hope to see lots of pics
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:51 PM

If you go to Flickr.com and type in "1963 Oldsmobile Starfire convertible" and look for a saddle mist Starfire convertible (light brown) then look at the username that posted the pictures and if it is 1962oldsguy or 1963oldsguy it will have pictures of every Olds I have owned (x7)
Thank you
Dalton