The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1935 Project decision

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:32 AM

You're making good progress. You must have located or built that drive pulley if you are going to fire it up in a few weeks.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
You're making good progress. You must have located or built that drive pulley if you are going to fire it up in a few weeks.
Actually no luck on the pulley/balancer -- it's a 1.5 inch shaft & 5" pulley if anyone has one laying around...

Short of that I'm threatening to get silly with some JB weld....
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:28 AM

Take a photo and post it on this thread and on parts wanted. I assume you have called all of the usual suspects like vintage wrecking yards and are checking Hemmings and other sources. It might be possible to find one with the correct diameter and belt groove but a different shaft size and have a machine shop either sleeve or enlarge the shaft hole to get a fit. Does it have the rubber insert or is it all steel?
Jerry
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:08 AM

That motor looks great. The whole car looks more like more than it did in that barn. I think it's a really stylish car just the way it is.I'd make a running car out it then decide whether to dive in on the resto or just go for the "patina" look.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Phantom Phixer

My Hollanders Interchange says 34-36 Olds and 34-36 GMC 1.5 ton truck six cyl. engines interchange. Could be the crank pulleys might be the same on the GMC as well.That's a pretty small universe to search but better than nothing. At very worst a good machine shop could build one if you have all the parts so they can measure. Probably expensive though.
Jerry
That's because the 34-37 GMC 1 & 1/2 ton trucks used an Olds 6 cyl engine.
From the late twenties until 1938 GMC used Buick, Olds , or Pontiac engines in their smaller (less than 3 tons) trucks.
In 1939 GMC got it's own engine (228-302) six cylinder .
In the fifties GMC again "borrowed" Olds and Pontiac V-8 engines for their trucks.
When I was in the Air Force during the Vietnam War we had a couple of big fuel tanker trucks , 57 GMC's, that had a 371 Oldsmobile engine and a huge 8 speed Hydramatic transmission.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; October 3rd, 2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add text
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

That car is awesome - I am so glad you are saving it.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:34 PM

Glad to see the progress. I think you have done well to keep it original and whole.

You might give Damper Dudes in Anderson Ca. a call as they deal in front pulleys and dampers they may be able to help or at least give you a lead on a replacement if yours is not rebuildable....Tedd..http://www.damperdudes.net/
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Very nice.

I like that car.

- Eric
Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM

Outstanding progress, kudos for keeping the driveline original.
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Progress

Thought I'd post a few update pics--it's now a "frame-off" thing. Found a balancer with the obsolete olds guy & it should be here early next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0674.JPG (121.7 KB, 44 views)
IMG_0677.JPG (139.8 KB, 41 views)
IMG_0680.JPG (105.9 KB, 38 views)
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM

Great luck finding that balancer and the project looks very nice. Keep on going.
Jerry
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Phantom Phixer

Nice progress with the car.
For the interior , check with the LeBaron - Bonney company.
They specialize in 30's, 40's, and 50's interior fabrics and kits.

http://www.lebaronbonney.com/

Also try Rhode Island Wiring for original wiring.

http://www.riwire.com/Pages/contact.htm

Last edited by Charlie Jones; October 16th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Phantom Phixer

If you don't have the seats, I think that the seats from a 35 or 36 Pontiac, 36 Oldsmobile, or Buick Special or Century from 1936 would be the same.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; October 17th, 2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Couple more pics of the frame and the motor with generator, radiator, & starter installed.

Having one hell of a time getting the brake drums off of the rear axle--I'm about ready to cut them off and buy new drums--somebody talk me down!
Attached Images
IMG_0698.JPG (123.9 KB, 23 views)
IMG_0700.JPG (132.7 KB, 25 views)
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Very nice.

You've cut the brake lines and turned in the adjusters, right? And applied penetrating oil liberally?

Next step is lots of heat, like enough to make the drums almost start being red.

- Eric
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:22 PM

X2 what Eric said. Patience is key here. Sometimes a couple of days of letting penetrating oil soak in is required along with tapping with small ball peen hammer to set up vibrations that help the oil penetrate.

I couldn't help but notice the distributor. Have you checked it out for wear? The reason I ask is because there is a company, Philbin, in Portland, OR. that specializes in rebuilding old distributors. http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/distributors.htm They have done a couple for me and I always find their work more than satisfactory. They are very capable of making those obsolete parts that no one has any longer.
Jerry
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Couple more pics of the frame and the motor with generator, radiator, & starter installed.

Having one hell of a time getting the brake drums off of the rear axle--I'm about ready to cut them off and buy new drums--somebody talk me down!
Before you "heat and beat" get a service manual like this one here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Oldsmob...d7f5fa&vxp=mtr

I have a Chilton manual ( C 1937) that has a list of commonly replaced parts. I noticed that the rear hub and drum was a separate part from the rear axle shaft.
It could be that the axle is tapered on the end and the hub is also tapered. Similar to an early Ford V-8 or an AMC.
In any case the service manual will explain all. The Chilton book was more like a flat rate manual and didn't have much service info except tune-up and alignment specs. but it did have the parts info.
If you want, I could send you copies of the pages that pertain to your car. Just send me your address in a PM.
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good point: I'm familiar with the old F_rds - If it has a spindle nut in the center of the hub with a cotter pin through it, then treat it like a front drum on many GM cars, where the hub and drum are on in the same.

Which reminds me: In the good old days, brake drum pullers were common tools. You may need one.

- Eric
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Administrator

The axles are tapered and the threads on the passenger side are reversed. Couple of good whacks on the side of the hub should break it apart.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:07 PM

Brakes

Finally got there--ended up taking the rear axle to a local clutch & brake place. They pulled the drums & found me some new shoes & cylinders. The fronts came off so easy I thought I'd broken something. Put in new brake lines over the weekend.

It may not run yet but it sure will stop.....
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:12 PM

Finally got there--ended up taking the rear axle to a local clutch & brake place. They pulled the drums & found me some new shoes & cylinders. The fronts came off so easy I thought I'd broken something. Put in new brake lines over the weekend.

It may not run yet but it sure will stop.....
Good show. Did you happen to see how they pulled the rear drums or ask them? It would be good information to post on this forum. I'm always amazed at how many years/models some parts were used on various cars including Oldsmobile. Not unusual to find some parts that are identical on cars over a 10 year period.
Jerry
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:46 PM

So it ends up it has tapered spindles all-around. The guys at Central Coast Brake & Clutch (who are awesome if you need anything clutch/brake on California's central coast) had the setup that uses a slide hammer & bolts up to the wheel studs.

For the front I pulled the spindle nuts, bolted a wheel back on and used my big pulley puller by hooking the jaws into openings in the wheel--popped them right off.

Unfortunately, I'm now shopping for at least one drum. Just too much rust on the one that had sunk too far into the mud in the barn. They're 12 inch/5 lug. I'm sure there are a million out there but trying to search by make/model on the car isn't working.

Any suggestions?
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:16 PM

Parts book shows different numbers for F35 drums and L35 drums. 11-1/16 dia shown in Hollanders for F35 drums.

Hollanders says 35 and 36 6 cyl. brake drums are interchangeable. That's not much to go on but it gives you one more year to look at.
Jerry
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM

Making some progress on the body work. The main tub is intact, clean and now under some primer.
Attached Images
IMG_0893.jpg (61.7 KB, 18 views)
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not bad.

- Eric
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Looking good, inspect your rear axles for cracks before putting it all back together. Don't ask me how I know.
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:26 PM

Give yourself a pat on the back

Making some progress on the body work. The main tub is intact, clean and now under some primer.

Its only been five months since I commented on what you'd just started as a project. I'd say you are making great progress. Keep it up and keep posting progress pictures.

I looked at the picture of your 36 humpback in the driveway and started missing my 36 Chevy of the same body style. Sniff...
Attached Images
36 blasted and primed0002.jpg (134.1 KB, 16 views)
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looking good, inspect your rear axles for cracks before putting it all back together. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks--I've had the axle off/cleaned up and painted--glad I didn't find any cracks
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Administrator

I suppose I would miss this also...
Old February 25th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Unhappy

Its only been five months since I commented on what you'd just started as a project. I'd say you are making great progress. Keep it up and keep posting progress pictures.

I looked at the picture of your 36 humpback in the driveway and started missing my 36 Chevy of the same body style. Sniff...

Do you remember where the grill came from? Mine is shot
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:02 PM

Grille on 36 Chevy

Do you remember where the grill came from? Mine is shot

It was a used aftermarket grille in bare steel. Originally made in Argentina after Chevy quit making them. Prep and Chroming from Oregon Plating in Portland.

A place called Alumicraft, alumicraft.com makes reproduction grilles for a number of 30s and 40s cars. The 36 Chevy grille is similar to your 35 Olds grille if I remember correctly but not identical. A call to Alumicraft would likely get you some information.

There is/was a guy in Twin Falls ID who makes custom stainless grilles that look terrific. Price is commensurate. I have no idea how to find him. Google maybe?
Good luck. That's a great project.
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:07 PM

Smile Thanks for compliment

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I suppose I would miss this also...
Best custom/rod I ever built. Corvette C4 suspension all around incl. rear end. 94 Corvette LT1 and 4L60e power train. Literally dozens of modifications. Of course it would have been a better car with Olds power but I wanted to experiment with computer controlled engine and transmission. A real learning curve.