The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1968 442 4speed hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM

1968 442 4speed hurst shifter

hello every one well first of all i got to say thanks everione 4 you good help i got a new problem my car came with a 4 speed hurst shifter so i installed it on the car but the car only drives forward the reverse is not engagin so what could
b the problem should i send the competition plus shifter for a rebuilt or the reberse rod is too long/////

Last edited by Orlando Perez; November 6th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Orlando Perez
hello every one well first of all i got to say thanks everione 4 you good help i got a new problem my car came with a 4 speed hurst shifter so i installed it on the car but the car only drives forward the reverse is not engagin so what could
b the problem should i send the competition plus shifter for a rebuilt or the reberse rod is too long/////
So the first question is, do you have a factory Hurst shifter or an aftermarket one? Do you know if it's the correct one for your application? WHen you say it won't go into reverse, does the shifter mechanism properly go into reverse and the lever on the bottom moves? Are you sure the reverse gear in the trans is working properly?

With the rear wheels off the ground, have someone press on the clutch while you see if you can manually engage reverse in the trans using the lever on the side of the trans (with the rod to the shifter disengaged). Start the engine and see if the wheels turn in reverse. If so, the trans if fine, if not that's your problem.

Once you've determined the trans is OK and the shifter goes into reverse and moves the correct lever on the bottom of the shifter mechanism, you need to check alignment and adjustment. First thing to be sure of is do you have the three levers on the bottom of the shifter aligned properly when in neutral. There is a small hole in the mechanism and the three rods. You should be able to insert a 1/4" drill bit or rod all the way through to lock the levers in the neutral position. NOW install and adjust all three linkage rods. Be sure you have the correct rods on the correct levers. Pull the alignment pin and all should be working.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Its a hurst competition plus shifter i dont knw if its the correct shifter for my application but the car came with a munci 400 i will try and do what you suggested thanks joe is there any chance that my shifter is not good it seems to engage everi gear fine...
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Its a hurst competition plus shifter i dont knw if its the correct shifter for my application but the car came with a munci 400 i will try and do what you suggested thanks joe is there any chance that my shifter is not good it seems to engage everi gear fine...
The Competition Plus is a very simple mechanism. If the shift handle goes into each of the three gates and the appropriate levers on the bottom move when they are supposed to, it's probably fine. They need rebuilding when they get sloppy, but usually that just means that they hang up when power shifting, they rarely don't go into gear. The factory shifters have a snap-in chrome stick, the aftermarket have a bolt-on stick. The factory shifter stick will have the letter "H" and "442" stamped on it. If you have a snap-in stick that doesn't say "442", it's not the original shifter.
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Out of adjustment is FAR more likely than a bad shifter. Factory rebuilds the shifters if that is a problem.

Maybe the tang or ear on the trans is on upside down and the shifter is trying to move it the wrong direction? Separate the shifter action from the trans action [in other words, remove the rods as need be] and verify that each works right by itself.
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Ok guys i will try and do that cause that the only thing stoppin me from installin the new interior an go pick up some hot chicks,.., my shyfter only has an h on it..
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Well i orayin to god that the problem its simple because am runnin out of cash..
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The factory shifter stick will have the letter "H" and "442" stamped on it. If you have a snap-in stick that doesn't say "442", it's not the original shifter.
Unless its really a Cutlass and not a 442

Last edited by allyolds68; November 8th, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Unless its really a Cutlass and not a 442
Depends on whether it has W36 stripes or not...

Seriously, I was going by the title of the thread.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Glue some little door panel "442" emblems or hat pins on the shifter. It'll fool the girls. If they spot it as incorrect... SHE'S A KEEPER!
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Senior Moment Member

Make sure the transmission levers are in the "up" position. They should not be pointed down. Up, ok? Now hook up your linkage rods and give it a try. Let us know what happens. If you have them facing down the trans will still shift, it just has a reverse pattern. 4th is first, second is third, and so on.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM

Dude my vin #starts with a 344878 so that means its a true 442 but i dont knw why it didnt had a 442 shifter no big deal .. Ok back to the topic so the two long rods suppose to be facing down and the smaller one suppose to be facing up no wich is the reverse rod??
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Question

Z1375 can you post a pic of how the linkcages supposse to be up or down i am confused i saw some pics and the two long rods arw facin down and the short one is facin up???
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Z1375 can you post a pic of how the linkcages supposse to be up or down i am confused i saw some pics and the two long rods arw facin down and the short one is facin up???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shifter on tranny.jpg (34.5 KB, 52 views)
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Moment Member

The tabs on the trans need to be in the up position before you put the rods on them. You can see them in the pic. Forget about the rods for a second. Look at how the tabs are that the rods connect to. They are up. You can install them facing down. Did you mistakenly do this?
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:40 AM

No i didnt i connected everithyng just like that pic but the smaller tab goes upsidedown no..??
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Senior Moment Member

Yes, you are correct. I thought you had maybe made the same mistake I had many, many years ago but it looks like you have it connected correctly.
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Guys am so happy to let all of you knw that the problem is fix thank you all for your help it was very usefull i really appreciate it the car is finally runnin ine of the rods was too short and the reverse is hard to find but we finally did it..
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Senior Moment Member

Where are you in Chicago? I am in New Lenox which is down by Joliet.
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:22 AM

Im by i55 and pulaski
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Senior Moment Member

Hmmm. Less than a half hour. Chicago weather stinks doesn't it? Except for this weekend anyway!
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Yeah but at least is now snowin yet ..