The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another Newbie - long time stalker

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2018, 02:36 PM
copconcut

Another Newbie - long time stalker

Hello everyone. I've been on this site for years; trying to learn but never joining or speaking up. This site has already been very helpful and is already one of my top internet stops. I have a 72 cutlass convertible that I bought from another user on this site; user "69442". He did the vast majority of the work and then sold it. I have enjoyed it for the last three summers and am finally planning to do some performance upgrades. This is my second 72 convert - the second one being the mid-life crisis one. Look forward to gleaning guidance and hopefully on occasion; contributing. Heck, I even used his photos. I got the love and he had all the talent. Hats off and Thanks.

Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Whats the plan?
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:31 PM

Nicely done car

What gears are in the rear? Changing them would wake it up some without messing up the jewelry under the hood.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:58 PM

Agreed on the rear gear change. Way back in the 80s I drove a 70 Supreme with a 2.56 posi and swapping to 3.08 gears felt like a new engine with more horsepower, then later swapping to a 3.55 rear again made it feel like a new engine with more power.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:59 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Lurking around in the shadows isn't a bad thing... But it is always good to come out of the closet once in a while... Sharp looking ride you acquired...
Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:08 PM
copconcut

It came with 3.73 gears in the rear so I think that's pretty well covered. Revs annoyingly high whenever going highway speeds which so far hasn't happened too often. Actually, just bought a 200-4R trans that's been sitting in a garage for years for a good price (I think). Haven't dropped the pan yet - too cold here. Been reading up on all the articles for a beefed up rebuild. Thinking the CK street strip package. It's the original engine (had been pulled and painted but not rebuilt (I believe). I scoped the cylinders and saw that the pistons were dished; pretty sure the 22cc ones so they are original. Based on what I've read so far most of the items mentioned to beef up the engine has pretty much already been done; 2.5" dual exhaust, rear end gears, x pipe. Kind of has a loopy sound so not sure if the cam was swapped. Any suggestions different from where I'm heading would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:13 PM

OMG The top matches the background.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:14 PM

OK, so you have good rear gears and the big issue is the huge dished pistons that give maybe 8:1 compression. There's not much you can do engine wise for performance without addressing that low compression.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:31 AM

Welcome.
Man, I am drooling over that car!!!! Looks fantastic stock original with those old school Cragar SS rims. What a beauty!!!
Congrats,
Doug