The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another OHIO newbie coming aboard

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

I don't go to Cleveland! Anywhere west of I-480 is Cleveland to me, lol!!
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
If you have heart problems it's the best city in the world to be near.
People come to Cleveland from faraway lands every day to go the the Cleveland Clinic.

Ask anybody down there, nobody "lives" in Cleveland they stay somewhere.
As in "I stay at my baby's momma's house".

Every other driveway in Cleveland has a G body with 22's on it along with an anchor chain from an iron ore freighter hooked to the car with a pit bull on the other end.
The Sultan of Dubai really loves the Cleveland Clinic! And theres not too much with the size and service at the WADE PARK VETERANS Hospital too.. They take good care of thousands of veterans every year!! Care that most could not afford otherwise!

P.S. I STAY in the house beside the garage where all my Oldsmobiles are stored!
And My Pit Bull lives INSIDE that garage - just to be the Welcoming Committee for any unwelcome nocturnal visitors!!!
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I don't go to Cleveland! Anywhere west of I-480 is Cleveland to me, lol!!
Last time I looked -- I-480 ran East - West??????
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Cutlass Lover

3. Merge onto I-480 W via the ramp on the LEFT toward CLEVELAND ..... - this is what I'm talking about, lol!
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM

Missed this post, welcome Tweed.

How was Carlisle?
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Last time I looked -- I-480 ran East - West??????
Me too?, maybe I should look again?

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
3. Merge onto I-480 W via the ramp on the LEFT toward CLEVELAND ..... - this is what I'm talking about, lol!
????
Whatever you say Sandy...
Have you hit the Atlantic Ocean on your way to Kansas yet??

Hey Chesrown, my littlest veteran brother works at the Wade Park Veterans Hospital, my big veteran brother had a triple bypass done there, doing good.
Elvis loved the clinic, along with the Keg and Quarter.

I have vicious Pit Labradoodles guarding my rides.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Missed this post, welcome Tweed.

How was Carlisle?
Pete-
thanks for your help. Carlisle was HUGE -- but , alas, I didnt find a thing for my car! I did get my parts passed off to 1k442 to help them along to MA. Oldsmaniac and I checked out that 67 W30 car for sale in the car corrall pretty good and decided that it probably was a factory W30 car but it doesnt have any of the original drivetrain in it so, as such, isnt worth near what the guy is asking for it!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM

Welcome aboard. Youre better off over here. I dont even go to ROP anymore. Anyway, I just bought a 65 club coupe that was in Carrollton OH. Saw your car at the Alliance show. Real nice piece.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM

Thanks TK-65 -
Did you buy the 65 finished? or get it like the unfinished pic? Man, how did I ever miss a 442 for sale practically in my back yard? LOL
Glad you enjoyed my car! Where u live? You member of NE Ohio OCA?
I have found out real quick that i am not missing a thing on ROP. Seems like everyone I talked with over there is now here too!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM

Im from the Detroit area. The red car in my sig I restored over the course of 3 1/2 years. The coupe I just bought is a driver but is very rusty. Plan is to restore it too, but not right now. This is what Ive done to it so far. Im ordering some Hurst "Casler" pie crust cheaters for the rear next week.

lettered-1.jpg
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Im from the Detroit area. The red car in my sig I restored over the course of 3 1/2 years. The coupe I just bought is a driver but is very rusty. Plan is to restore it too, but not right now. This is what Ive done to it so far. Im ordering some Hurst "Casler" pie crust cheaters for the rear next week.

The car looks like it could have been the car that Sonny Tanner and Gene Dunlap ( both from carrollton) raced in the day! The car said "Tanner's Herfords" on that spot on the rear quarter that says Litton Motors on it . E. Liverpool was about 30 miles east of Carrollton!! Small world. Its too bad I dont have any pic of Tanners car to show you. I have pix of his 66 W30 trac Pak car that he raced but none of the 65.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Trying to remember member

The car looks like it could have been the car that Sonny Tanner and Gene Dunlap ( both from carrollton) raced in the day! The car said "Tanner's Herfords" on that spot on the rear quarter that says Litton Motors on it . E. Liverpool was about 30 miles east of Carrollton!! Small world. Its too bad I dont have any pic of Tanners car to show you. I have pix of his 66 W30 trac Pak car that he raced but none of the 65.
Well, let's see it!

Jasen had the F85 at Alliance for a short while, as he was passing though with it on his way home. He caught me trying to steal it while he was checking out the swap meet.
That car really screams its racing history. That car has more class than a dozen restored cars!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
car guy

Welcome to CO. I love both of your cars. I Don't think I have ever seen a 42 Olds before. That must be one rare car.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Well, let's see it!

Jasen had the F85 at Alliance for a short while, as he was passing though with it on his way home. He caught me trying to steal it while he was checking out the swap meet.
That car really screams its racing history. That car has more class than a dozen restored cars!
your right Kurt - I forgot that was the car that was going through McDonalds drive-thru while i was over there getting an ice cream whe we were at Carnation show!!
We talked about it!!
HERE YA GO KURT - Heres a couple of pix of Tanner and Dunlaps 66's. note the Jenkens Competition sticker on the side of the 66! How many Olds do you suppose Jenkins built --- other than maybe Doc Burgess' 67 ex-Brainbeau car?? The White post car ran SS/E as a W30 in 67 and they converted the 66 back to L-69 to stay in stock for 67 season!
Attached Images
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Welcome to CO. I love both of your cars. I Don't think I have ever seen a 42 Olds before. That must be one rare car.
My 42 is one of only 6 42's registered in the OCA national directory -- and it is the ONLY model 66 Club Coupe. Not to say there arent others out there - but it is a rare bird - in original restored form!!
Thanks for compliment!!
T.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:09 AM

your right Kurt - I forgot that was the car that was going through McDonalds drive-thru while i was over there getting an ice cream whe we were at Carnation show!!
We talked about it!!
HERE YA GO KURT - Heres a couple of pix of Tanner and Dunlaps 66's. note the Jenkens Competition sticker on the side of the 66! How many Olds do you suppose Jenkins built --- other than maybe Doc Burgess' 67 ex-Brainbeau car?? The White post car ran SS/E as a W30 in 67 and they converted the 66 back to L-69 to stay in stock for 67 season!
Yep, that was us. Talk about a mistake, shouldve walked over there instead trying to fit that trailer through the drive thru.

The car was originally white with red interior. Sold at Litton Motors in East Liverpool to a guy in Wellsville. Talked to the guy that owned it two owners ago and he said it was for sale on the board at Timkin Mercy Hospital in North Canton. That was circa 1997. In between 1966 and 1997 I have no idea where it was or who owned it.

Cant be very many Club Coupe 442s from that area.

Last edited by TK-65; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Yep, that was us. Talk about a mistake, shouldve walked over there instead trying to fit that trailer through the drive thru.

The car was originally white with red interior. Sold at Litton Motors in East Liverpool to a guy in Wellsville. Talked to the guy that owned it two owners ago and he said it was for sale on the board at Timkin Mercy Hospital in North Canton. That was circa 1997. In between 1966 and 1997 I have no idea where it was or who owned it.

OK - Then it was not Tanners because his was blue and he bought it new from Huebners. Nice find anyway!!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM

[quote=TK-65;
Cant be very many Club Coupe 442s from that area.[/quote]

My wife had one! 65 post white 442 4sp. LOL
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:07 AM

OK - Then it was not Tanners because his was blue and he bought it new from Huebners. Nice find anyway!!
Hummmm.......maybe they were *all* from around here........ya think?
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Hummmm.......maybe they were *all* from around here........ya think?
Kurt - did you ever get results from that metullargical analysis of that E block? Dont remember you ever telling us??
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM

Wheres the pics of that one????
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:10 AM

Kurt - did you ever get results from that metullargical analysis of that E block? Dont remember you ever telling us??
I believe that was a 425 block you're referring to. The analysis:
Iron 99.25%
Chromium .30%
Manganese .45%

That means no nickel (for the mathematically challenged).

Still need someone to cough up a sample of a 455 F-block.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
I noticed that too. I've thought it could have been a good zone rep and we were loaded with Oldsmobile dealers, or the fact we had seven active drag strips in the local area, plus a super hot street scene.

Herb Floreske from Berea had a new 66 3X2 convertable, Joe Ellick (sp?) from Brook Park had 66 3X2 job with old Oldsmobile Racing decals on the quarters windows, my old buddy Ralph from the west side of Cleveland had a new 66 trac-pac 3X2 which we discussed in a earlier thread, and a fellow who worked for me who is ±90 years old now bought a brand new 66 3X2 off a dealer lot for his wife as she was the one with the lead foot, he could not recall if it was a W-30 or trac-pac job or any details, but they sold it almost immediately as he couldn't keep it running. One of his daughters was real hot, and guys were constantly sniffing around her (he thought) to get their hands on the car. That's four in my circle alone.

I almost persuaded the guy who had Joe's car to sell it to me, I was foaming at the mouth over it down at Quigley, the big street racing spot at that time. Funny trying to buy a car at 3AM in the middle of a industrial wasteland. It had a 455 and the 3X2. I saw the inboard parking lights and no battery under the hood and was hooked. No dice though, from what this guy said he bought it with conditions. Then it vanished about 1984. CW
Huebner Chevy-Olds in Carrollton Oh sold a bunch of em. They were a 'Hi-Performance" dealer even though they were tucked away down in Carroll County. They had lots of customers buying cars that were from Akron-cleveland area. It is reported that Huebners sold more 69 COPO 427 Camaros than any other dealer in Ohio and was about 3rd on the list nationally. I can remember going to their lot in 69 and seeing no less than 6 or 8 new W30 and a few W-31 cars sitting there for sale with several W cars on the used car lot!!! Thats in addition to all of the 427 chevy combinations they had sitting around!!! Quite a place!!
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up newbie ohio olds owner/member here too

hi--

check this out---

i need to find olds lovers in ohio to pass the flame to--

i have two for sale--

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/aqc/aqc.htm

chip
racinggroove@earthlink.net
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Past Administrator

I really, really like your '42 coupe. Did you restore the steering wheel yourself? If not, do you have the name of the person or company that did? My steering wheel center has lost most of the paint on the back side and looks really bad.