The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Built sheet

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Built sheet

I have a 66 442 Conv. I am trying to find the built sheet. Where can it be found? If I can't find it is there a way to get a new one?
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:18 PM

First of all, it is a "build" sheet, not a "built" sheet.

Second, there is no guarantee there is one in your car. Lansing-built cars did not normally have one. There was no requirement that the sheet be left in the car when it went down the line as it was not part of what was to be delivered to the final purchaser.

Third, when they have been found in a car, locations vary widely. Most times, I've heard it was on top of the gas tank, meaning you won't find it unless the trunk floor rusts through or you remove the gas tank. I would never go through the huge hassle of dropping a gas tank if the sole purpose in doing so was to see if a build sheet was there.

Besides the top of the gas tank, they have been reported found under the carpet, inside one of the doors, up in the springs in one of the seats, under the rear package shelf, behind the headliner, and in a few other places I'm not remembering. It's pointless to tear a car apart looking for something that could be any place and is possibly not there at all. People who report finding a build sheet usually do so because they had that part of the car disassembled for some other reason, such as to repair or replace the gas tank, replace the carpet, repair the window regulator in the door, etc.

Finally, these are not available as reproductions because they were not kept originally. There is no database nor storehouse of these things. They're just an artifact of that car's production from back in the day that might or might not have stayed with the car.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There was no requirement that the sheet be left in the car when it went down the line...
In fact, they were required to be discarded, and ended up where they did inside the car because it was easier for the guys to put them there than to put the in the garbage can.

- Eric
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:01 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Well said Jaunty. Most build sheets are found in cars that were assembled anywhere but Lansing and documentation from Lansing cars is quite scarce. There is an exception for the few that were built in Canada or built for export to Canada and a full report is available from GM of Canada of the options the car was ordered with, but not a build sheet. Those are not reproduced anywhere except for reproductions which by no means is factory correct. The repros may look factory but lack a few details that some can spot right off the bat. And can be made to include any option you wish
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Ironlew399, if you haven't already check out BRO442, its geared toward the '65 but there's alot of good info. Like stated above, Lansing built cars rarely have build sheets. Good luck with your '66.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:04 PM

Thank you