The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Dual Gate Shifter

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:46 AM

Dual Gate Shifter

Installing an aftermarket dual gate in a 1972 Cutlass. Original console with standard floor shifter. Has anyone done this or know of literature that details modifications required? Certain I can figure it out but console is mint and do not want to ruin. Would rather have some info first.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM

I am not sure you can correctly adapt an aftermarket dual gate to the original console. You may want to find an original dual gate. Maybe someone else has experience with the aftermarket style.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:42 AM

If you use the search engine on this site your questions will be answered. There are markings on the underside of the console where you have to cut but be careful there are also markings for 4 speed manuel shifter, be sure to cut in the right place.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM

Dual gate

Originally Posted by stevw
Installing an aftermarket dual gate in a 1972 Cutlass. Original console with standard floor shifter. Has anyone done this or know of literature that details modifications required? Certain I can figure it out but console is mint and do not want to ruin. Would rather have some info first.
Aftermarket shifter is supposed to be identical to original in dimensions, a few differences in how it's constructed but mods should be the same. Looking for advice or info from someone that has adapted either NOS or repo. Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:03 AM

I think you will have to acquire the Olds mounting brackets & be sure where to mount them on the shifter body as the holes may not be there. There are variations in the body/frame of the shifters depending on application. IIRC even some of the cable housing anchor points are different but can't swear to it without any in front of me. I do think it will work, may just require measuring & mock up multiple times before you cut or drill into anything.

I have a couple of 4 speed dual gates that I want to install in our cars but haven't gotten around to it, I think the frame is similar to the aftermarket you have & different from previous "OE" Olds units.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:26 PM

Years ago I swapped a standard auto shifter for a factory Dual Gate. As stated, the console has to be cut, and the underside has molded in lines to guide you. Don't use a high speed cutter (Dremel, jig saw, etc) as the plastic will melt as you try to cut it - use a slow cutting speed instead (hand saw would work well).

I had original mounting brackets so all I had to do was lay the shifter on the floor board and drill holes in the floor pan at the appropriate locations. Not sure what bracketry your shifter would have/need.

The DG uses a different shifter cable than the regular console shifter, and I think (not 100% certain) a different bracket at the transmission mount, too.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:52 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...c-console.html
There are a couple of pics here of the console I did for my car.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Dual Gate Shifter

Originally Posted by Fun71
Years ago I swapped a standard auto shifter for a factory Dual Gate. As stated, the console has to be cut, and the underside has molded in lines to guide you. Don't use a high speed cutter (Dremel, jig saw, etc) as the plastic will melt as you try to cut it - use a slow cutting speed instead (hand saw would work well).

I had original mounting brackets so all I had to do was lay the shifter on the floor board and drill holes in the floor pan at the appropriate locations. Not sure what bracketry your shifter would have/need.

The DG uses a different shifter cable than the regular console shifter, and I think (not 100% certain) a different bracket at the transmission mount, too.
Cable looks the same as original although brackets definitely different. That does not concern me just has two more "feet" that screw in to floor board. Have an assembly manual on the way which has specs.
Thanks for the info.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Cable looks the same as original although brackets definitely different. That does not concern me just has two more "feet" that screw in to floor board. Have an assembly manual on the way which has specs.
Thanks for the info.
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM

The cable is different. The bracket on the transmission is different between a th350 and th400 not a dual gate and standard floor shift. I have a th350 bracket in the garage if you want a pic. I can snap a pic of one with the correct brackets for the floor mount as well if you would like.

Last edited by Eric Anderson; February 5th, 2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Dual Gate Shifter

I compared original cable to new dual gate and they look the same, may find out different when I go to install. Running a TH350 and have all linkage/hardware. Thanks
Old February 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM

I compared original cable to new dual gate and they look the same, may find out different when I go to install.
As Eric said, the cables are different. Are you certain it is a correct Dual Gate cable? You may have been given a regular one by someone who doesn't know there is a difference.

Here's a link with specific info on cable differences:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...dual-gate.html

Originally Posted by svnt442
The cable end at the shifter is longer on the dual gate. You can't use the standard cable with the dual gate in any way.
The bracket on the trans is the same for either cable.
Originally Posted by texasred
The 70-72 Dual Gate cable is 30" overall and 18" is the casing length. Regular floor shift cable is shorter (27 1/8" and 16 5/8").

Last edited by Fun71; February 5th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:57 PM

Hello I purchased the dual gate shifter and cable non aftermarket its a 3 speed. Can you adjust the cable because it's not matching up when I put it in gear drive will be in neutral. Can I still use the original transmission cable mount.
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:24 AM

I replied in your other thread but here is a more detailed adjustment description from the Hurst installation instructions:

7. ADJUST CABLE: SEE FIGURE 1 (Below)
Loosen nut that fastens cable pin to transmission control arm. Loosen nut enough to allow pin to slide in the slot in the arm. Turn the arm to NEUTRAL position. Move the stick to NEUTRAL. Tighten the adjusting nut. Test movement of stick and check to be sure that stick positions agree with transmission control operation.

If it's more that just a small offset that you can't adjust at the transmission bracket, then you likely don't have the correct cable for the Dual Gate shifter.

From the link I posted in the other thread:

Originally Posted by texasred
The 70-72 Dual Gate cable is 30" overall and 18" is the casing length. Regular floor shift cable is shorter (27 1/8" and 16 5/8").
I suggest you measure your cable and verify it is the correct one.

Last edited by Fun71; February 12th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.