The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Engine transplant

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Engine transplant

Hello,I'm new to the site and looking for advice. how hard would it be to install a gm 350 in a 59 olds? with all do respect i love my 394 but i want to travel and it would be hard to get a water pump if needed,and i'm not gonna ride state to state with spare parts. looking to be more modern under the hood.open to all advice thanks. ERNIE
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:46 PM

If you are mechanically incline, and can fabricate, no problem. Scope it out and you will see what needs to be done. The 394 has a completely different mounting sys. You will need to fab some brkts for the front engine mount off the front cross member side. You will also need to fab a trans mount, for it will mount nowhere near the factory cross member
You should get the engine and trans combo any 69 to 72. You need a 350 Olds and a T-350 trans. You should get them as a unit, that way the kick down cable and brkts are all set up, the pulleys all match and alternator brkts are there. Also be sure to get the trans slip yoke and the have a drive shaft shop mate it to your drive shaft.
If you have power steering, get the pump and brkts for the 350 and adapt the hoses to your hoses.
I would convert it to an alternator, and ace the generator.
The 350 Olds lower rad hose is on the passenger side, I forget which side the 394 is on. If the lower connection is not the same as the 350 OLDS, just have the radiator shop move the lower connection to the side you need.
If you can, pull the front clip off, makes it much easier to set up the engine, for I'm sure you will have it in and out several times.
A couple of week ends of work and down the road you go.
You can search "citicapp" for he has done this to his '57. Your frame is a little different, but the principle is the same. His is a 455 , but the 350 is the same set up. PM me if you want more info.

Gene
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM

You may be able to use the Toronado front engine mount bracket.
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM

59 olds

thanks for the information GENE. So you say its best to go with the olds 350 from 69-72, sounds good but how do i go about that? is that a relatively easy engine and trans to find? if so please tell me how to go about it.thanks ERNIE
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM

For the 350 olds engine? thanks ernie
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 371394super
i love my 394 but i want to travel and it would be hard to get a water pump if needed,and i'm not gonna ride state to state with spare parts
This is one of the funnier lines I've heard. So your scared that you need a water pump? Do you know how easy they are to find? And you do know they make them brand new? Who is to say you won't need something odd if the 350 breaks down?
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Ernie,
If it was me I would go with the 455. You said the 350. Either one would be good. I think 69 to 72 is the most bang for the buck. Over all the 73 to 76 is a good choice also, just low compression for sure.
If you go through all the work to install an engine and trans assy, you might re-do the engine and trans. A lot of work to install, only to take it out again to rebuild.
The 394 is a great engine, I just hate the trans. Nothing else trans wise bolts up to the 394 engine. Like they have said, water pumps are available.
Just how fresh is your 394? Who knows what other thing may go wrong.

It's just me, but it is up to you. Do you want a late model engine and trans, or keep the 394 set up and wonder how it will do.
Just are you up to the time and work involved?
Above ALL keep it OLDS power!!!!!!!!

Gene
P/S check craigslist, put a want ad in the forum.
What is your location??
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:26 PM

59 olds

Say what you want but part for a 59 olds don't come easy in my world nor any thing else for this car!!
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I dunno - NAPA carries water pumps for it, both with and without A/C.

Seems to me to be a lot cheaper to just install a new water pump than to buy, recondition, make major modifications, and install a new engine and trans.

But, hey, what do I know?

- Eric
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM

I have to agree, you could replace every single part in the car and STILL have something fail unexpectedly. I had a low-mile TH400 go out on me for no apparent reason. Poof, just broke down. I was barely able to limp it the short distance home. If the car is up-to-date on maintenance and everything is working properly, with nothing showing any sign of imminent failure, I think your best bet is to just drive it until you can't drive it, and deal with it then. Parts for old cars are still surprisingly available at the stores, and even a brand new car can have an unexpected breakdown.

I'd imagine that if you're taking a cross-country trip in a 1959 automobile that, first you're going to have at least an extra day or two to address any issues that may come up, and second, that you're going to expect that SOMETHING is going to come up no matter how well you plan...?
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator

I'll agree with the others, that to put any other engine in your car will require some major fabrication. It's not hard, just time consuming, and there is no kit.

Just because your car is older does not mean its not road worthy. If everything is functioning correctly, I say drive the hell out of it. I look back at some of the stuff I took cross country and shudder!
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
... I say drive the hell out of it. I look back at some of the stuff I took cross country and shudder!
+1

- Eric
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM

hello;. its not just the water pump. I have several heads off the 394 and they have hair line cracks at the valve port. i have problems just getting some basic gaskets, most have to be ordered.
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Hello MIKE; yes any engine can fail but i think that i'll feel more comfortable knowing that i have that new crate engine in there. I do want to travel and feel confident.
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Well with that said, how are you at flying by the seat of your pants? Do you have a welder, cause you are going to have to fabricate some brackets. A T400 is my trans of choice, it's stout and really easy to setup. Any engine of your choice would go in there.

Next question is how deep are your pockets, and what type of crate engine are you thinking?

Last edited by oldcutlass; June 28th, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: rephrased engine question
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM

394's have a higher percentage of problems with cracked heads but it's not a given that they will all fail, I drove a 63 for 150,000 miles and never once experienced any head issues. I would be more concerned with the Slim Jim than the engine but, that just me and my experience with that engine/ transmission combo.If you rebuild the car correctly you can drive it as if it were new, I do ,over 1,400 miles the last two weeks. I never once regretted staying stock.
Your ride, do as it pleases you but there is nothing magical in a SBC or SBO that won't happen just like any other engine. If you decide to dump the 394 I am sure that someone here would love to buy it...Tedd
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM

hello Gene: that 455 is to much for me!! im that person you don't want to be in back of, I cant drive 55 OR 65, forgot how that song went but i'm a grannie. i thank i'm up for the challenge to modify! I have no over drive so ill have to get all that figured out. i was hoping that i can buy a new engine and trans from GM? I live in COBB COUNTY GA. thanks ERNIE
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Heck, I blew a head gasket on a '98 BMW a few years ago.
And, no, I couldn't get the parts the next day either.

There are people who swap unlikely engines just to be able to say "I did it.". I've got a buddy who put a Volvo motor in a Chebby Luv pickup years ago, just for fun.
If you want to put a different engine in, then go ahead and have fun - just don't try to convince us (or yourself) that there is any practical reason for it.

- Eric
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Really not at all familiar with the 394 engine, but if your doing updated powertrain swaps for long cruising, may as well throw a 200R4, or 700R4 od tranny into the mix as well. While some here will hate me for saying this, you can do a Gen I Chevy small block, or even an LS. Don't think many can complain about an LS, as actually a GM corporate engine, put in all of the brands now. I've had a couple late model LS Vette's, and the fuel milage, is almost economy car like. If considering LS, good getting hold of Josh, at Custom Image Corvettes in SD, as can supply you with all the swap parts.
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
... may as well throw a 200R4, or 700R4 od tranny into the mix as well.
These transmissions are physically larger, and will require removing and reshaping the transmission tunnel in the floor.

Easier to carry a few spare parts. Those things have huge trunks.

- Eric
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM

As mentioned, really not familiar with pre 60's cars, but swapped out the TH350 to a 700R4 in my 77' without much problem. Tranny's a bit longer, requiring the crossmember moved back a bit, and the driveshaft shortened, but didn't find it to tough. The 0.70 4th gear lock up, with 3.73 axle, sure makes highway cruising lot's better. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM

Deltapace is correct, not a favorable move with the chubby in a OLDS.
It is becoming cookie gutter trend.
He is also right about the chubby being corporate, but not in years we deal with.

It is true, you will have trouble buying a crate Olds engine. I know you can buy a long block from a engine supplier. Auto parts Warehouse, S and J engines, Rock auto, Jasper engines is one I have dealt with. You can get rebuilt trans from trans shops. All will be warranted.
All you need to do is find the brkts and pulleys and what not. You would have to do the same with a chubby.
It is your car, do what you want, are you up for the challenge?

Gene
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM

"I have several heads off the 394 and they have hair line cracks at the valve port. i have problems just getting some basic gaskets, most have to be ordered."

I would like more info on 394 head cracks- where to look for them... I am getting ready to send a pair from MI to CA and would like to not ship junk cast iron.

Photos would be great. Spotting techniques such as carb cleaner and compressed air... anything. Local shop will blast 'em clean but does not have magnaflux tester I guess.
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM

59 olds heads

I will send you some pictures of some hair line cracks on the heads monday, I'm not at that location right now. Yes that's going to be very expensive to ship, hopefully there's someone closer than that.
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:41 PM

59 olds

Thanks for the info, I decided to sell all my motors an transmissions eater here or on Ebay. I'm thanking that if i sell two turnkey engines i can get close to buying what i want. I'm up for the challenge since i have a homemade test station. I had cut it out of a 1959 olds years ago, here's a picture of it.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 371394super
I will send you some pictures of some hair line cracks on the heads monday, I'm not at that location right now. Yes that's going to be very expensive to ship, hopefully there's someone closer than that.
Pix to
RocketScience442@hotmail.com
please and thank you sir

heads go to be cleaned Monday.

Talk about pricey shipping, 394's to CA is a mere $40 each or so

J's to ENGLAND the START at $400 EACH for slow cheap shipping. I am having those cleaned and ck'd for flaws also. And refreshed.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I dunno - NAPA carries water pumps for it, both with and without A/C.

Seems to me to be a lot cheaper to just install a new water pump than to buy, recondition, make major modifications, and install a new engine and trans.

But, hey, what do I know?

- Eric
That's exactly what I was going to say!! Very unsanitary taking the words right out of my "Mouth"
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Heck, I blew a head gasket on a '98 BMW a few years ago.
And, no, I couldn't get the parts the next day either.

There are people who swap unlikely engines just to be able to say "I did it.". I've got a buddy who put a Volvo motor in a Chebby Luv pickup years ago, just for fun.
If you want to put a different engine in, then go ahead and have fun - just don't try to convince us (or yourself) that there is any practical reason for it.

- Eric
X's 2