The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Extremely rare olds cutlass supreme extreme edition

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Quit giving him a hard time, he's not a troll. Give him a chance, he may have as others stated something a dealer promo'd as a special pkg on the showroom floor.
OK I know I'm stupid but what is a troll?
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by Sampson
OK I know I'm stupid but what is a troll?
Original poster is not a troll, just someone who was not sure what he had, thinking it was something special and came here asking for opinions, and got a raft of sh*t for his trouble. Nice going, guys!
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Registered Luser

You should try and track down the dealer where it was sold new. If they still exist. Someone who once worked there may be able to she'd some light on it for you! Those regional cars are always interesting......
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Original poster is not a troll, just someone who was not sure what he had, thinking it was something special and came here asking for opinions, and got a raft of sh*t for his trouble. Nice going, guys!
He could have posted pictures before the 35th post.

The longer you drag out an absurd or improbable story without any evidence, the more you look like a troll.

I agree he's not a troll, but he seems a bit misguided.
Those are RS Strauss / JC Whitney self-adhesive "Xtreme" scripts from several years ago - you could get them with all the other geegaws at the local auto parts store. They're not any kind of car model name.

And, c'mon, doesn't this look like the compendium of "I know I've got a valuable car here" posts:
Originally Posted by OldsExtreme
I know the car is worth allot of money because when my sister drove itshe went to get Coffey a man offered her 3000$ for it. She told the man all the problems like it needs a new tranny the engine runs horribly and it needs new floor bords, new tires,new paint,new wind shield, but he still said 3000. Any ways she dident take it and she blew a rod bearing later. now im pulling engine and redoning the interior and im getting it painted and im building the engine into a 383.
Anyway, good luck to you, OldsExtreme. You can find good advice on this site for fixing and restoring that car. Only please don't convince yourself that it's unusually valuable - it's worth what it's worth to you, and that's what's important, but you'll never get rich selling it.

- Eric
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:29 PM

Old June 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks, Although i don't agree 100% on your value evaluation i do appreciate all of the help I guess the car may be worth more in Minnesota where the car was bought.
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Administrator

I don't want to hurt your feelings but a $3000 offer is not a lot of money. Generally anything that runs decent will bring that.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:21 AM

You can't be serious?

9ca186ad-e8b6-43f9-b129-90c287d2731e_zpse86002e9.jpg
b9aad811-671f-45c6-a87c-acdbd1e4aea3_zps815006ab.jpg
222_zps814abd26.jpg
219_zpsc217169a.jpg
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Old School Olds

a man offered my sister 3000$ cash in 2010. Its gotta be worth something.
Hopefully she got his phone #.
You need to make a follow-up call.
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:36 AM

Some of the modified new cars can be very valuable. Thinking of Hurst, Yenko, Shelby, etc., but they were strong performance upgrades to very popular existing performance cars. No offense, but late 70s, early 80s cars were never considered performance cars and they have never been considered "popular" cars. Values for the later Hurst or Shelby models that were mainly cosmetic mods were much lower than the earlier models.

Rare and valuable do not neccessarily go hand in hand. One of the rarest cars ever built is a late 60s Chevy Biscayne 4 door with a 4 cylinder engine. They only made 2 of them. Originally designed for use as a taxi, they were a miserable failure. Cab companies didn't order them because they were under powered (even as a taxi) and weren't as rugged or reliable as a cab with a bigger engine. There value today is as a parts car.
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by brown7373
One of the rarest cars ever built is a late 60s Chevy Biscayne 4 door with a 4 cylinder engine. They only made 2 of them.
They made a full-size Chebby with an Iron Duke?!?

WTH were they thinking?

I would live to see more information on this car.

- Eric

ps: 2? Really? That sounds kind of low for any car that was actually "in production."
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM

ohh i know Its allot for what it is though. Its mostly sentimental to me and i mean 3000 for a car with a spun rod bearing and needs some work is a decent some of money.
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Yes hopefully its a regional dealer car. Like the 76 or 77 Carolina Cutlass S and so on. These promotions started on the big Colonades Cutlasses in the mid 70s. Below are some examples from 74 and 75.

Then again.....

Last edited by vistacruiser67; June 19th, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM

What motor is in that car. Letter F or R in the fifth of sixth digit of the vin? Doubt its a R. Only 886 Cutlasses with 350 Olds in 1980 and they were the black or white 442s.

ohh i know Its allot for what it is though. Its mostly sentimental to me and i mean 3000 for a car with a spun rod bearing and needs some work is a decent some of money.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, I'm not going to belabor this.
It was mentioned once by a previous poster, and I will reiterate it once and shut up.

I was alive in the sixties and the seventies.
I remember that time, and remember the cars well.

The word "Xtreme" was not used in the late seventies or early eighties.
Not in cars, but really not anywhere. At all.

The word "Xtreme," especially in the form of a commercially-produced chrome-plated plastic automotive script appliqué did not exist at the time that this car, or the Buick in the picture above, was made.

Period.

Say what you want about the car having been a dealer special, but the plastic glue-ons are later additions.

- Eric
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM

I'm thinking someone installed it to cover up the rust holes from the vinyl top
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Idk as much of a non beliver I am. The lettering on the extreme ooozes 70's style badging not something typical of you autozone stick ons. Also looke at the aging on both emblems also around the both appear to be consistent. Just my 2 cents. It's still nothing special other than a promotional gimick locally but atleast its neat.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Copper, those emblems were made in the '90s and '00s to LOOK like the earlier style.
You could buy them near the cash register.
Believe me on this one.

- Eric
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Idk usually extreme emblem look all chinese writing about them. This looks a little too fancy for autozone extreme emblems lol.
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Reference to "extreme" editions as well as other regional versions in these two threads, one going back a few years:

http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showt...less-Roof-Band

http://oldsmagnet.oldsgmail.com/edge.htm

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; June 19th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...xIg&fr=sfp-img
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM

My brother-in-law had a GMO. They were sold in the Chicagoland area. Somewhere I have the chrome sport mirrors off of it in my parts stash. Not sure what other parts were special other than the stickers and parts for the 1/2 vinyl top.

Jim

Originally Posted by vistacruiser67
Yes hopefully its a regional dealer car. Like the 76 or 77 Carolina Cutlass S and so on. These promotions started on the big Colonades Cutlasses in the mid 70s. Below are some examples from 74 and 75.

Then again.....

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM

1980 sure saw some interesting promotions at Oldsmobile. This is a fine example of the Y68 Custom Appearance Package available ONLY on the 1980 Cutlass Supreme Coupe (not available for Broughams)

Y68 Custom Appearance Package: Includes stainless steel roof band with frame molding, brushed aluminum pillar molding, black painted topspecial Cutlass Calais grille, Coupe R47 only. B85 Required (N.Q. with CO4, CO9, Y71, or BW7)
With Black Top. All Body Colors Except Black ---$295.00
Top Color Same as Body, Including Black ---$255.00 B85 Moldings, Belt Reveal, Required with BW7 $36.00
BW7 Applique, Pillar -- B85 Required (NA with CC1 or CO4) (Coupe Only) $17.00
CC1 Removable Roof Panels, Tinted, Laminated Glass (NA with BW7, C09,or C95) $695.00
C04 Landau Roof Covering, Vinyl Padded (NA with BW7) (Coupe) $204.00
C09 Rooftop Covering, Full Vinyl (NA with CC1) $124.00
C95 Lamp, Combination Dome and Dual Lens Reading (NA with CC1)
with Y60 Convenience Group $11.00
without Y60 $26.00
Y71 Paint Scheme, This consists of a Compatible Accent Color applied to Hood, Top, and Deck lid, plus Rear Quarter Stripes on Coupe (Top Accent NA with C04) Sedan has color on Body Side only. Available only in the following Lower Body, Upper Body, and Paint Scheme color code combinations: <omitted due to typing pain in rear>
Coupe $200.00
Sedan $195.00
There were 6000 Y68 packages produced, and dealers were apparently allowed to put regional badging on these cars. In my area of the country, they were given "Edge" badging, in sticking with Oldsmobile's ~sharp~ imaging apparently. Other areas of the country had different names for these cars, I've been told.

Copy and pasted. This has been a heck of a newbie thread. Good work "aliensatemybuick" !

Last edited by vistacruiser67; June 19th, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM

I too grew up in the 50s and 60s. Some legit regional dealer mods that I remember were "California Special" Mustang, used some of the Shelby non performance mods. One of the GM divisions made a "High Plains Special" or something for a special cosmetic modofied high altitude (around Denver, I think). And I remember something for Texas area too. Down in south Florida, many late model Lincolns get "Palm Beach Edition" designation, with the words and a few palm trees printed onto the vinyl tops. Very desireable...NOT!
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks for those links, Aliens. Very interesting.
Unfortunately I couldn't see the photos on the first "G-body" page because I'm not a member, but the other pictures tell the tale.

The "Edge" badge is interesting, but I will stand by my view that the "Xtreme" badge (as opposed to "Extreme") is a later addition.

These "special" models are a good reminder of exactly how desperate the American automakers were around 1980 when it became obvious that the Japanese were eating their lunch.

- Eric
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Cutlass best selling car in America 77-80

But Cutlass was the still the best selling car 77-80 in the US. Maybe the Impala /Caprice knocked them out in 78. Im pretty sure the 1980 Cutlass was the best selling car in America that year according to Dennis Casteele's book "The Cars of Oldsmobile" although Olds fell slightly under a million units in 1980. They rebounded in 83 and 85. The handwriting was surely on the wall though.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Thanks for those links, Aliens. Very interesting.
Unfortunately I couldn't see the photos on the first "G-body" page because I'm not a member, but the other pictures tell the tale.

The "Edge" badge is interesting, but I will stand by my view that the "Xtreme" badge (as opposed to "Extreme") is a later addition.

These "special" models are a good reminder of exactly how desperate the American automakers were around 1980 when it became obvious that the Japanese were eating their lunch.

- Eric

Last edited by vistacruiser67; June 19th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:06 PM

More Xtremes found

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...xIg&fr=sfp-img#

The G body forums are talking about these cars and they are coming up with 350's in them. Im assuming these are the Vin code R Olds engines. That would make the car rarer than the Y68 option. 6k y68s made. Only 886 1980 Cutlasses had 350 engines. I guess there must a few more 1980 350 Cutlasses since there were 886 1980 442s produced all of which had 350 Olds engines.

I believe you car is a dealer promotional car with the aforementioned Y68 option. There are other Xtremes on the internet or being talked about on the Gbody forums. The Xtreme emblem matches the font of the Cutlass emblem but is only a little bigger not that the Edge font matched the Cutlass font. If they put Edge on some they could surely put Xtreme with no rhyme or reason. The fifth or sixth digit on the VIN is the engine. If your car has a R then it came from the factory with a 350 Olds built engine which was a rarer option than the Y68 as we are learning they made 6k of them with different badging. A factory 350 Olds powered 1980 Cutlass is a rare bird. At least 886 were made because that is the production figures of the 442 that year which was the only Cutlass that had the 350 R code engine as standard equipment. IF your VIN code is a F then its a common 260 Olds engine. I must have been incorrect above to assume only 80 442s had the 350 R code engine and I was confused by that. I know for a fact the only Cutlass with the 350 R code Olds built engine was the 886 442s made that year. I always thought those were pretty nice cars. A rare find that can be distinguished from 79 Hurst Olds but 4 headlights instead of 2 and I guess the absence of HO emblems and the shifter.

Last edited by vistacruiser67; June 19th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Those stainless covers are such a cheap and poorly made ripoff of the Porsche 911 Targas, which debuted in 1965 or '66 (as was the '70-'78 Triumph Stag, though it was at least a real soft top).

- Eric
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM

what do you suggest for my car?

What ever fits your budget.

If I had cash, I would put a Olds 350 in my 1980 Cutlass.
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:55 PM

MDchanic, so are you saying my car is fake?
The word "Xtreme" was not used in the late seventies or early eighties.
Not in cars, but really not anywhere. At all.
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:59 PM

Talking

good thing i got one My grandpa swaped the engines out sometime in the 80's
If I had cash, I would put a Olds 350 in my 1980 Cutlass.
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

MDchanic, so are you saying my car is fake?
Oh, no. I am afraid it is quite real.

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I was just looking through this thread again, and I took a long look at this picture:

219_zpsc217169a.jpg

If you look at that chrome plated adhesive plastic script, it actually does not say "Xtreme."

It says "eXtreme."

The curlicue before the "X" is a stylized "e."

So, while I stick by all of the things I said about the word "Xtreme" (as seen in the Buick picture that 70WCar posted), none of them apply to this script, as it says "eXtreme."
The script on this car could be as old as the car, and, therefore, could have been placed there by the dealer as part of a dealer-conceived package, like the "edge" script that was also posted.

All of that being said, it does not change my opinion of the monetary value of the car, which is minimal.

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM

I have been noticing that the 'Cutlass' script seems like it has had the 'Supreme' part cut off. A small section on the right protrudes. Zoom in and let's see if it was cut by someone or if it was actually molded that way.
While 'extreme' was never a buzzword back then, it DID rhyme with supreme... That script loos very close to the Cutlass Supreme script.

I like these kind of automotive detective threads, aside from the undesired harsh accusations that often come up....
Old June 21st, 2013, 03:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I have been noticing that the 'Cutlass' script seems like it has had the 'Supreme' part cut off.
I agree, Rob, which would make sense if this were a dealer-made "special" - they could easily have ordered and used the "Cutlass Supreme" scripts and trimmed the "Supreme"s off.

- Eric
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM

Another odd thing is one side has screws on the lower trim and the other side does not.
The one with screw has the dimple/recess for the screws and looks like it's suppose to have screws. My 77 had one red and one "orange" guage cluster. Right from the factory. I have had my 77 since new. Who knows how these thing happen? (That's a retorical question.)

I thought the "Cutlass" looked like it was cut too.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM

I never took a close look at that badge. I will take a good look at it tomorrow and take a new pic of it so you and i can see a better look at it.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM

AHHH if you look at the other side of the car on the pictures you can see that its not cut. i think its maybe glue or corrosion or something like that.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM

Well, whatever it is... I am glad you shared it with us and got a discussion going.

Whatever's Extreme about it, is evidently not the EGR equipped engine. Put a 403 with 4, 5, 6, or 7/7a heads in there.

I will refrain from mentioning "that" 403, to keep this discussion grounded.

Last edited by Octania; June 22nd, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
MOTORHEAD

xtreme number 2

1980 cutlass no bondo, no clay, NO RUST real clean. Underneath is incredably clean. All original except American racing wheels (60s). plus duel exhaust behind rear fenders *chrome tips*. Car is in great condition, runs great. Still has the stock 260 with 57,000 original miles. I'm the 2nd owner, been stored properly though these rough winters. Give me a call or email me with any questions. I might be interested in a trade. (612) 991 263O

Quick Reply: Extremely rare olds cutlass supreme extreme edition