The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Gday from Queensland

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Gday from Queensland

Hi everybody. Just joined this fantastic Web site and am loving all the info and input from all the members. I am a proud owner of a 69 442 and absolutely love it. A dream comes true for me. There are very few 442s here that I know about. Here 8is a pic of the beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dads new pics 080.jpg (64.6 KB, 42 views)
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:59 AM

CRICKEY!

That is an AWSOME car! There are a few other members on our site from down under. Welcome to our site.
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Past Administrator

Nice looking car! Welcome to CO.
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Welcome to CO

Lots of Righty drivers on the site. We have great fun trading information back and forth.

Nice ride
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Beautiful car, you should be proud.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Gorgeous 442! Welcome to CO!
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! Very beautiful!
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Very nice car, welcome to the site.
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Smile

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, ah and gals
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Col from sum whar down there. [check out the Good Morning Thread in the Club house]

Nice 69, I love 'em
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Ozspider

Gday Ralsy,
Í'm all so from Qld, I like your car very nice.
I'm new here to, all the best
Spider.
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:35 AM

Thanks again everybody for making me feel welcome. Gday Spider where you at?
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM

FWIW, my friends and I were listening to a police scanner from Toowoomba, Queensland a few weeks ago on his I-phone. It was an application that let you listen to different radio stations. We did some reading on Toowoomba and found out it is the second largest inland city downunder! Neat stuff!
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Well blow me down under, that’s a statistic that I never knew. Toowoomba has up until the last few months been having major problems with water. At one stage they only had weeks of water left. Being a land of feast and famine, we went from around 6 months of almost no rain to the last 6 months of almost only rain. Most dams are now full.
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Ozspider

Hi Ralsy,
I'm south east of Brisy, it sounds like that you are up on the range.
I was going to drive up to Longreach to buy a 1939 Ford pickup but it turned out to be a 4Ton truck, thats 10 hours driving one way.
Spider
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Registered

Welcome to here too.

You sure have some funny sounding names for places.
My wife's lifelong pen pal from elementary school lives somewhere down there, you know her?
She and her husband and kids live in Beerwah?, wherever that is, and do cattle.
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Nah not on the range but on the sunny coast in Peregian beach. Hey Bluevista Beerwah is only 1 hour drive from where I am. Hows this bloody rain, havn't taken the Olds out for a run in ages. To scared to get it wet LOL. Also had the carby away for a rebuild.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
...should get a life....

G'day Ralsy. Nice car.
G'day Spider.... this is good. Get to say g'day to 2 fellow countrymen in one post. Conserving energy is a big priority of mine. Wife reckons its laziness.

I never knew Toowoomba was so big until Olds64's post (which of course I checked out on Wikipedia) And fair enough its our 2nd biggest inland city behind Canberra, which makes it our biggest non-capital city. Have not been there for around 45 years. Wasn't that big back then
There's another Guy, Wayne, up there somewhere with a '72 W29. He contacted me a while back. Like me he's an old Mopar guy whos giving the Rockets a run and enjoying it. He's also got a '70 Coronet & and a '65 Dart. I can give you his contact detail via a pm if you want. He's trying to get some club type action happening up there.

This is a great site and I cannot believe the number of new members joining up from all around the world......even third world countries like Queensland. Hope President Rudd has settled back into his grass hut OK

Don't mind me...just sour grapes after another humiliating State of Origin result. (for the benefit of the northern hemisphites, that's our Queensland Vs NSW Rugby League competition....the best & hardest football comp that the code has) Queensland has beaten us for the last 5 years and they are getting better and better while we are getting worse.

Anyway guys, welcome to CO. Great bunch of people. The Good Morning Post is a nice way to start the day & keep in touch. Might see you over there.
Cheers......Go the Blues
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM

Hey Col isn't it funny but I also looked on Wikipedia about Toowoomba. Suffer you Cockroaches, sorry no sympathy LOL. It'll be 6 next year Ha-ha. I just pulled the rear upper control arm bush out of the axel housing and installed a new one, bloody hell what a rotten job trying to get the blasted thing out. I jacked the rear of the car up and worked under it so not much room to play around. Ended up pushing the rubber out and collapsing the metal outer. Still took me about 3 hours all up. I'm open to getting in contact with anybody up here who’s into OLDS
Old July 12th, 2010, 02:02 AM
...should get a life....

Mine needs new front wheel bearings so my Saturday's taken care of. Just started tinkering for 1/2 hour or so today and couldn't even get the calipers off. I think there's going to be some swearing involved.
I sent you a pm with Waynes email address. He's keen to get a Qld Olds thing going and he knows a few blokes up there with them. I'm looking forward to the day when I see a line-up of muscle era Oldsmobiles. So far the maximum I've seen at a show is 2.
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:09 AM

Thanks Col have sent Wayne an email. The yanks talk about hiring a bushing removal tool from the local parts store. Can you do that here? Had a look at trade tools for a kit and the cheapest one was $200+, a little xxy for me.
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Ozspider

Cool New South What, Blue who

Hi one and all,
And Col
New South What, Blue Who?
Ralsy I have a good mate who has a 46 2 door Olds and his mate has a 46 convertable Olds
I go to most of the car & rod shows in Queensland and I have not seen any Olds, lots of Chevs some Buicks.
My 46 Dynamic 4 door right hand drive olds is to my understanding the only one in Australia. If someone has more info I'd love to hear from them.
Have fun Spider
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:47 AM

I was at Wintersun on the Goldy a few weeks ago and my 442 was the only one, lots of Chevys and Buicks as well. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for other OLDs and will let you know.
Old July 12th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Hey Blue,

You got a clue what these guys are talk'in 'bout? Carby? Football? Yanks? [ I think I resent that]

I bet they don't know a "Yank" from a Cracker
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:42 AM
...should get a life....

G'day Jamesbo. We don't discriminate between north & south....all Americans are Yanks to us. Its a term of endearment, except when we inadvertantly call a Canadian a Yank. They don't like it. Bit like calling an Aussie a Kiwi I suppose.
When Queenslanders and New South Welshmen talk football its Rugby League.
When the Southern & Western States talk football it's Australian Rules..."AFL"...or Gay FL as we call it. We don't know what to think about American football, we only ever follow Rugby Union when the Wallabies are playing England and we couldn't give a rat's patoot about soccer unless there happens to be a World cup going on.
A Carby is a devise for mixing fuel and air and crackers are what polly eats.

There ya go mate. You're up to speed.

...and "Blue" is a bloke with red hair, unless he's "True Blue" in which case he's a fair dinkum, salt of the earth type of bloke. A "blue" is also a punch-up. So if you got into a fight with a real decent red headed chap, you'd be getting into a blue with true blue blue.

Last edited by Col Wickham; July 12th, 2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:43 AM

I had to laugh about this post.

FWIW, if you are having trouble removing control arm bushings you can remove the control arm and burn/melt out the rubber bushing with a torch. Then collapse the metal part of the bushing with a hammer and a punch. Finally, remove it with a set of channel lock pliers.

This is a messy way to do it, but if all else fails it will work.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Ozspider

Ralsy wrote
I was at Wintersun on the Goldy a few weeks ago and my 442 was the only one, lots of Chevys and Buicks as well. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for other OLDs and will let you know.
I was at Wintersun as well, I think I saw your car near the Rockabilly hotel?
And yes you are on my friends list.
Hi, Col.
Spider
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM

The rockabilly hotel? Don't know where that is. I was in Goodwin park just in front of the music stage where the rock n roll bands were playing. Got lots weird looks at the car, as people didn't quite know what she was. Lots of positive feed back as well.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:54 PM
...should get a life....

We're definitely in the minority at shows. At the big Penrith All GM Display day mine was the only Olds for a few hours until a guy in a 66 Vista turned up followed by a bloke in a 68 442. 3 out of around 200 cars
I found the 442 owner a couple of months later in the little town of Grenfell in central NSW at a car show. He lives there and owns around 12 Oldsmobiles. He had the 68, 57 and 37 at the show. His name's Peter and he's the local NRMA guy.
A member of the Americal Muscle Car Club just bought in a really nice 55 (it appears in a couple of forums here) plus there's Darren from Melbourne who subscribes to CO and a guy from Newcastle.
We're a rare breed in OZ. One day we'll have to make a pilgramage to somewhere central for an Oldsfest.
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Ozspider

ralsy
the Rockabilly hotel is across the road from the beach.
Just down the road from all the Rat cars and Rat rods.
Spider
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Ahhhh I know where dat is. Just dropped my drive shaft off at the local reshafting shop. I have been having vibrations coming through the body at around 60 mph. They saw straight away what it was. The shaft was twisted; it should sit straight and level on a flat surface between the uni joints on either end. Mine didn't. The front yoke shaft is bonded in rubber to the inside of the driveshaft and can’t be serviced or removed apparently. So they are gona make a new one with out the rubber and also put in a couple of new uni's. I hope it'll be ok. I think the rubber takes some of the initial shock on hard starts. Do you think by not having it, that it could effect some thing else?
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
G'day Jamesbo. and crackers are what polly eats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)

Used in a sentence. "You can tell that sorry [so and so ] to kiss my Cracker........"
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

Colonel...... you "blokes" just make me laugh!! I love listening to you talk.....
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

She Hears Voices

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Colonel...... you "blokes" just make me laugh!! I love listening to you talk.....
Listening??
I don't hear anything??
Just like when Teepo talks back to you Sandy??
Does she have a Missouri accent??

Blue is a redhead?, we call redheads "Red" for some unexplained reason over here??
Speaking of rockabilly...Be Bop A Lula wore red blue jeans and the song was by Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps. Would she wear blue red jeans and would they be the Red Caps down under???
I have that original 45 with the sleeve, Up A Lazy River is on the flipside and is really good.

Speaking of Australia...isn't it Shock Week on the Discovery Channel?
What does Vegemite taste like exactly? Not comparing it to 'roo burgers because I've never had on of those either, but I would jump at the chance to.
Do those burgers have a pouch with a little 'roo burger inside of it????
Taste like chicken??
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Cutlass Lover

You just crack me up!!! You know Teepo has that slight southern twang, suh! Little 'roo burgers, lol!
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Mate the roo burgers are pretty bonza, but the kanga bangers on the barby are the beez knees Also the wild caught barra is the way to go if you can get it and a nice piece of croc fried just right would put a smile on anybodys face
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Ozspider

Ralsy,
I had 600 BHP in a Ford XB 2 door and had no problems.
Bluevista,
No we don't eat Roo, but you can buy it and croc.
I all so have a record collection, late 40s to late 50s.
Now I need to work out how to up load photos.
Spider
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:55 AM

Crikey mate this is giving me the bloody *******. Got the shaft back from the shafting guys and what dya know the shaft is to long. Now normally you wouldn't complain if you got a longa shaft but I can’t fit the bloody thing where it’s supposed to go. So back to the shafting people and let’s hope I don’t get the proverbial shafting
Hey Spider I must say I have always been a bit partial to the XA, XB, XC coupes. 800 ponies under the bonnet must have been one hell of a ride.

Last edited by ralsy; July 15th, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Ozspider

Yes but it was 6oo BHP, 351 4v-toploader and a 3/1 9''
Spider
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Pics 101

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.

Quick Reply: Gday from Queensland