The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Greetings from Eastern Washington State

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Greetings from Eastern Washington State

Hi all!

I just found this site this weekend and thought I would join up. My wife and I have a 1977 Olds Cutlass S Y76 Northwest Special. My wife purchased the car brand new in Central WA in '77 and due to some financial problems, we regretably sold it in '82. In 1988, while cruising downtown Spokane we spotted the car in a car lot. Without hesitating we purchased it again. We sold it with approximately 40K miles and it now had 92k miles and was tired. We rebuilt the 403, tranny, and got it back on the road only to later have to park it due to gas prices. The car sits in our back yard since 1995 but we are planning on bringing it back to life soon. We made lots of trips and have lots of good memories and hope that for our 30th anniversay in 2012 we have it back on the road...or soon thereafter. Hello to all! Great to be in this group and hope to see folks at Olds events.

--John
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Great story. Welcome to C.O. Love it when the original owner and car can come back together. Naturally we wanna see your ride! Pics please?
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Welcome aboard

X 2 on posting some pics
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM

That's kinda cool, This is a great site and pics make it even greater.lol. I'm very new to the site also , welcome.
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:22 PM

Hi evooa: Welcome to the Classic Oldsmobile Forum. There's lot's of great information and good people here to help and encourage you in the restoration of your ride.
A guy that I know has a 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme that looks very much like this one. It's a good looking car!
1977OldsmobileCutlassSupremesm.jpg

Post some pictures of your own, when you get a chance.
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Welcome to the site! Yes, please post pictures when you have time. I've only seen one Northwest Special and that may have been 20 years ago. Sadly, it was in a wrecking yard outside of Salem Oregon. John
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Welcome to CO

What part of the east side you from. I hop over the hill with the 57 several times a year.
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Wow! Thanks all for the warm welcome. Yes, at this point I only have one picture of it as it was after we purchased it back. I will get some soon. And yes, I will need encouragement. I have found quite a few parts source but will likely be the spring before I can really assess what I will need to fully restore it. As far as I know, there were only 9 Northwest Special Cutlass S and they are all different colors. There were 2 in the Spokane area, which is where I am, but have not seen them for years. I believe the orange-ish one is the one that was wrecked. At one time I knew where all 8 others were but it has been too long. Anyway, I think Oldsmobile owners have always been a special breed to enjoy those fantastic Olds. I am sure I will have lots of questions as I go along and as I figure out the posting of pictures and find pictures I will get some online. Thank you all!
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM

The one I remember was blue. Do you know where they were converted to NW Specials? I'm guessing it was one of the dealerships that did it. John
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM

The cars came from a dealership in Teko, WA which has since closed. The cool thing was that 7 of the 9 cars had sequential license plates. This was done by some arrangement of the dealership with the licensing department. The blue one was down in the Pasco/Tri Cities area for a while. Now I know where it ended up. Sad! --John
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Tekoa, WA. I guess I need to learn to spell. :-)
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Randy C.

Welcome aboard! There are lots of WA members at this site and it's great to see another come on in! It's especially neat that your wife was the first owner of your car - that's great in documenting its history.

Post some more pictures of your NW Special when you get a chance.

Best Regards,
Randy C.
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Just reading these threads gives me the encouragement to get my car back on the road! I've restored lots of cars and tend to take more restoration pictures than necessary but count on more pictures later.

Great to know there are many WA members! Also great to see there are so many other members! Is there still an Oldsmobile annual event?

--John
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM

There's a number of Oldsmobile clubs across the country and each year there is a National meet. This past year was in Reno and I think next year it will be in Iowa. I hope you continue to be involved on this site, but also wanted to tell you about another site dedicated to 1973-77 Oldsmobiles. Use the following link to check it out too. John

http://www.73-77olds.com/index.php
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:03 AM

Thank you! I will check out the site and yes, do plan on staying active here. I would be interested in looking into the various meets this coming year.
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Registered Loser

I wonder if any of the other 8 cars were 403-equipped. Just having a '77 403 Cutlass by itself makes it really cool. Yours is probably literally one-of-a-kind. I was raised in Chicagoland (born in '71) & remember seeing the "Gallant Men of Olds" commercials...they were badged "Cutlass GMO" where I lived & had some neat features.

This is straight from a 5-year old's memory bank so my recollection is a tad limited.
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM

I know that 2 others were 403 equipped but my understanding is that all were equipped exactly the same, including the 8 track player, and the only difference was color. The dealership has been closed for several years now and I've not had any luck finding any dealership that may have records of what they did.

--John