The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

haha this is the 5th post

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM

haha this is the 5th post

haha im not thinking very well here trying to get my 5 post in. but im also full of questions. uhm... do you think it is smart for me a 16 shortly turning 17 year old driving on a student learners permit to own/ drive a 70 cutlass s, how do you think the cops will be. they gonna be all over me or see the nice car an let it be?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM

my first car was this Rallye350. the cops were all over me for the first two months that i got my license. after they realized that i was not a typical kid that was being bad at every turn they left me alone. being a teen driver with a hot rod, it's hard to stay out of trouble but you will have to for a long time so that the cops will respect you. i would recommend that you visit your local doughnut shop (or cop hangout) and they will want to look at your car when they come out. this way they will know that you are a good kid. they should know that all ready because you drive an oldsmobile.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM

Depends on if you are planing on driving it like
"a 16 shortly turning 17 year old driving on a student learners permit" with "a 70 cutlass s"

If you drive it like an old man they'll probably never know that your not.

i forget where I heard this from, but - the thing you have to remember about police officers is: as far as they are concerned...We Are The Enemy.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Captain of my ship

hmmmm

they will admire the car but not if they miss it when you blow past the radar My first good car I was 18 with a 66 Impala SS 325 hsp 327 stock but after I added a few goodies plus headers running into steel tubes and dumps they could hear me coming a mile before I got to town All I can tell you is to drive smart or that beautiful car may get scrapped. A hard lesson my son is learning.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Registered

Cops? most of the local cops will be at the cruise-ins and shows with their cars or bikes, they are us.
My 18 year old daughter just got nailed doing 80 in a 65 by the Ohio highway patrol, don't mess with them, cold blooded. I've been telling her to slow down, she will now.
Just don't ask for it and you should be fine, pretend there's a raw egg between gas pedal and foot, told her that too.
They'll probably figure your older with that car, just be cool, street racing is a no-no, no joke.
They may pull you over to check out or want to buy the car so don't panic and end up on Cops or one of those scariest cop car chase shows.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Smile Pointed

Wouldn't it be an awful lot easier to put a braille note on the gas pedal and read it with your bare toes!!!
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Just play it smart and save any racing for the strip. Join a car club and go on the club runs and have a ball
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM

You have a nice car. Treat it with RESPECT. When you get your licence, keep the good habits they teach. watch the pro's and emulate them, other than that what everyone else said. If by chance you do get pulled over..."Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you Sir" It don't mater what he says or does. If you don't agree with him/her take it to the judge. He/She is just another Joe doing a tough job, give them the respect the office deserves, and you will USUALLY be OK. Good luck, and stay safe.
P.S. welcome to the comunity
Chad
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Most of us have had "that car" the one we loved and killed being stupid
drive the cutlass so it will last a life time and the cops wont even notice your 17.
welcome aboard and cool car
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Captain of my ship

Thumbs up respect

Originally Posted by csstrux
You have a nice car. Treat it with RESPECT. When you get your licence, keep the good habits they teach. watch the pro's and emulate them, other than that what everyone else said. If by chance you do get pulled over..."Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you Sir" It don't mater what he says or does. If you don't agree with him/her take it to the judge. He/She is just another Joe doing a tough job, give them the respect the office deserves, and you will USUALLY be OK. Good luck, and stay safe.
Chad
X2 on that treat both the car and the law with respect. yee reap what you sow.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM

thanks for the info guys. im not a crazy kid like most teenagers. so im not to worried.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Thats a good thing, cause that car is gonna get harder to replace every year
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by csstrux
Chad
Well said Chad. X2
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jcabbott13
thanks for the info guys. im not a crazy kid like most teenagers. so im not to worried.
Glad to hear. I know what it was like when I was your age and had my Dad's 2 72 Cutlasses to play with. It's a nice feeling to be independant. But remember also that driving isn't a right of passage. It's a trust that has to be earned to gain the respect. Too many people out there treat cars, roads and pedestrians like a speedway challenge. If you stay within reasonable limits of the laws, you should have nothing but approving glances from any of the law enforcement officers.

I have a teenage son who's getting dangerously close to wanting my 72 Cutlass. Yup, I'll let him drive it as long as he treats it with respect. Just like the song used to say when they ran the Olds commercials back in the 70's. "There's a special feel in an Oldsmobile".

Hope you really enjoy your ride. When you're done with it and want to move on (God forbid), remember there's an Olds community out here.
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Remember that driving is a privilege. You want to be able to drive that car for a long time. Best way is to mind your manners when in public.
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Here's some numbers for you...

I was 16 in 79 with a '70, had a 350, 4bbl. 32 in a 25 = cops 1
46 now, (30 later) with a '72; under 65, = cops 0

Funny how this "old school" math is so similar to this "new math" they're teaching now!
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM

I had problems with the cops at 30 when I got my car running again, just as everyone is saying, be smart and they will leave you alone.
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM

My original intention was to give my 16 y/o the keys to the Cutlass....but I think I will enjoy that car and give him the Honda Civic instead.
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Not old but Olds

my fifth post also

This is my fifth post, still have 47 hours to go before I can post outside of the newbie forum, I had my first cutlass when I was 17, I was pulled over quite a few times but have never gotten a ticket, first thing I did when I bought the car was to install the obnoxiously loud glass packs that drew cops to me, my second mistake was to live in a small town were cops were bored anyways. I got pulled over for everything and anything but never once recieved a ticket. The words "yes officer" "sorry officer" are an important part of anyones vocab when they are pulled over, treat them with respect or they will make life misarable.

Wish this had a spell checker so I would quit looking like I flunked out of english.