The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi all

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Hi all

'72 Delta owner here... How's things going?
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Hello Rangefinder, welcome to the site! Would you tell us about your car?
John
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hello Rangefinder, welcome to the site! Would you tell us about your car?
John
Hi, thanks. I'd be happy to share some info with you, but why can't I post in any other forum but this one? How long will I have to wait? I don't mean to come in and be rude or anything, but it's not encouraging when I have to wait some arbitrary period of time before I can use the forum, you know? Just some thoughts... My intention is not to ruffle feathers, it's to use the forum as a whole.

My car is a '72 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale convertible, original Matador Red with white interior and white top, and it's actually for sale. I just finished rebuilding the 350 that is in it, and this car drives great! Here are a few pictures of it: http://www.rangephotography.com/delta

I'm a classic car nut in general, I work on them for a living, and here's a small sample of some of the photographs I have taken, a combination of mine and my friend's cars.

http://www.rangephotography.com/Transportation/
http://www.rangephotography.com/Caddy/

Old April 10th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

In the past we had troubles with spammers automatically junking up our site. So we started the Newbie section where Nebies could be checked out before going everywhere. It only takes 2 days/5 post and you will be able to go everywhere.

Please hang in there. This is the friendliest site in the universe.

By the way, nice work and beautiful cars.
Glad you joined us. You can add a lot of information with your experience.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Trying to remember member

Welcome!
I like the ram-air setup!
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Welcome to the site, nice convert. What modifications and/or improvements have you done to it.
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Welcome!
I like the ram-air setup!
Thanks! I actually just finished rebuilding the motor, and just haven't put the hood back on yet. It has an Olds 350, not the original motor unfortunately, as I believe this is a 455 car

As far as modifications, I bought the car with the following already done to the motor:

Edelbrock Performer RPM camshaft , intake and 750CFM carburetor . Hooker headers, HEI distributor, chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Otherwise, it's pretty much stock. I put the Pontiac Rally IIs on it, partially because the tires that were on it were trashed and I already had the Rally IIs, and I actually prefer the look. The car came with the stock wheels and hubcaps, though it had white letter tires up front and blackwalls in the back, so needless to say it looked absurd with the stock hubcaps. The tires that came with it were all kinds of mismatched as well, looked pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, the TH400 had already been rebuilt about 6,000 miles prior, and it shifts fantastic. I've had several TH400s in a few different cars, and it's definitely the best shifting trans I've ever had! I'm tempted to pull it and put it in my Pontiac, but I'm a little too particular when it comes to originality on my Pontiac, so they will stay as they are. The Pontiac is a '71 Bonneville with it's original 455/TH400 with 240k miles, never been rebuilt. She's in the process of getting some much deserved paint

Picture: http://www.rangephotography.com/Tran...es/CRW6339.htm

Aside from that, I installed new dual exhaust on it, since the guy I bought it from had some ridiculous 2 chambers on it and no crossover pipe, so it was very raspy and loud. I had glasspacks put on it, so it's much more mellow now. Then I just cleaned her up as best I could, and I'm thinking about dropping the front end a bit. It sits up very high in the front(another reason why I think it originally had a 455). In the pictures, there's a bunch of stuff in the trunk, so the back sits noticably lower, but when it's empty it sits level - Very high all around. I'm not going to go crazy low, just to what I think will look reasonable. Probably an inch or so below stock height.

I also picked up a set of exhaust manifolds for it, that I had planned on installing instead of the headers, because I can't stand loud cars, but I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I'm planning on selling it mostly because I want a '71 Pontiac Grandville convertible instead.. I'm more of a Pontiac guy, to be honest - I hope that doesn't get me blasted here

And I understand about the spammers.. In my google search I came across a couple other forums, one of which was about 98% spam... So yeah, no worries. I enjoy classic car forums of all kinds, and when I find one I like I try to provide a lot of useful content. I have been working for myself restoring cars for several years now, and have been interested in cars since I was a wee little one, so I've got some experience under my belt now

I hope my posts aren't too long-winded for you all
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Don't worry, it will only take you a few more posts to be free of newbie restrictions, I was just there recently well worth it, welcome.
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
Don't worry, it will only take you a few more posts to be free of newbie restrictions, I was just there recently well worth it, welcome.
Thanks
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
olds..older..oldest

Welcome...and there you have it 6 posts!Like Jeff, I just got out of Newbieville,and Jamesbo is right...this IS the friendliest site. derek
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Wow! Nice olds! And others cars..
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by rane
Wow! Nice olds! And others cars..
Thanks
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Welcome & happy Easter from Susan & Larry